Looking at Buying a 2002 4Runner Limited (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this a good year? Was this one of the years prone to frame rot? As I understand it, no lockers available, but the traction control helps.

I've found a nice one with 126,000 miles on it. I will be looking it over on Saturday.

Last edited:
OK: I jumped the gun on that one. I looked at the FAQs and it appears that there are not any bad years.

Can't wait to give it a thorough look this weekend.

Rust is major issue with any vehicle so go look at chassis front to back, get a background check on the vehicle before any exchange of cash always drive it and check all functions and make sure pink slip is in the name of the seller. Look for over spray and uneven paint body gaps are good indicator also.

For sure. The Carfax history is good, but vague on service. The only things that worry me are that it spent 5 years in Ohio and I can’t tell if the timing belt has been replaced. It does have a new radiator. The transmission fluid looks and smells normal.

I am going back tomorrow to put it up on a rack to check for rust. I will also take it for a long drive. I drove it around block today and my first impression was that it is good.

All body panels perfectly aligned and no overspray. One thing that really struck me was how comfortable the seat is. LOL

Simple to check the timing belt. If you can find your 10 mm socket remove the plastic cover and check it out. 126K and the belt should look fine. It should be changed but it’s not urgent at that mileage. Due to a little miscommunication with the PO my belt went to 250k and still looked good. At that point we replaced all the idlers and seals, water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses.

Last edited:
Took it for a lengthy drive and closer look. Really nice, but one thing that worries me is that it activates the traction control when first starting out in 4 wheel drive. (on pavement) You can hear the anti lock brakes kicking in. Sounds like a brief rattle right behind the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom