Looking at a possible 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Land Cruiser game and I'm loving it. Currently daily driving an 80 series and doing a little work here and there to it. But I'm ready for a project. I've owned lots of different stuff over the years and rust was always a deal killer for me. (I'm from San Diego where most cars are rust free.) I've got my eye on this FJ55 and wanted some opinions on rust and price. It looks like quarters are gone and there's hood and rocker rust. I assume it's going to be rough underneath as well. That said, these piggies seem to be rusty trucks in general so I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the Land Cruiser game and I'm loving it. Currently daily driving an 80 series and doing a little work here and there to it. But I'm ready for a project. I've owned lots of different stuff over the years and rust was always a deal killer for me. (I'm from San Diego where most cars are rust free.) I've got my eye on this FJ55 and wanted some opinions on rust and price. It looks like quarters are gone and there's hood and rocker rust. I assume it's going to be rough underneath as well. That said, these piggies seem to be rusty trucks in general so I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks for the help!

She's a beaut Clark!

I don't think it's a stretch to say that most 55s have rust. Unless you do your own rotisserie restoration, it'll have some rust. Just depends on how much of a project you want to undertake. IMHO, they are the most unique Land Cruisers and worth saving. I haven't regretted my decision but I've also poured a ton of dough into mine. C'est la vie!

Good luck and beware of Swine Flu. Once you contract it, it's tough to shake off.

@WarDamnEagle Wish I did. I guess you gotta act fast on these! I'll be ready for next time.

And I emailed them yesterday but never heard back. Figured they already had a buyer lined up.

Now that you are on the hunt, the right one will turn up!

Not too far at all! The price seems a little steep but it runs. That counts for something. What do we think of the price?

Seems a bit high but I think it's more important to decide whether or not this is "the one". What do you want to do with your pig? Are you going to drop a SBC and automatic in it with a big lift and bedliner interior; or drive it as is and keep spraying fluid film on it and pray it doesn't get worse; or do you want to restore it to "original" (which can mean different things to different people). If you don't know what you ultimately want and just know that you "want a pig", then I would definitely find one that is drivable either now or with very little work. That way you can at least enjoy driving it while pondering your options.

I thought when I bought mine that my goal was to do a total restoration. With that in mind I was looking for the best pig I could find that wasn't already "restored", was complete, and that didn't cost a small fortune. Having the original drive train was a big deal to me. Frame rot was also a non starter. I thought, therefore, that spending more up front would save on the back end but I have to say that today I'm not so sure. Maybe I should have been looking for the best body I could find? Regardless I'm happy with what I bought and in the end when you add it all up I am positive a few thousand one way or the other will be somewhat inconsequential.

I agree with @WarDamnEagle . You can't count pennies with these. Gotta have fairly loose margins. I also agree that the best tact is to find the best body and build from there. Body work is more difficult than mechanical work in my opinion and requires equipment that many don't have (welders, cutters, ...) - and also a lot of patience!

I texted the owner and the clutch issue mentioned will have to be dealt with immediately. "It can be forced into gear to move ".

I also know of another 55 in Abilene, TX that a friend of mine owns. It's a '78 and needs some body work. I'll be looking at in about a week and a half and could let you know what I find if you're interested.

Mike

If you’re interested, my friend in Abilene has that ‘78 that he wants to sell. Our trip to NM has been canceled due to COVID in our home. So, I can’t check it out in person, but I do have a video that goes over the truck I could send you if you’re interested. Just PM me.

Mike

Thanks for the tips everyone. I know bodywork is very time intensive but I'm trying to get a reasonable idea of how much rust should be on these trucks. And I'm looking for completeness. It'd ideally be pre-75 so I could register it in CA if I move back and not have to smog it. I'll be patient. The right one will come along.

Thanks!

If you’re interested, my friend in Abilene has that ‘78 that he wants to sell. Our trip to NM has been canceled due to COVID in our home. So, I can’t check it out in person, but I do have a video that goes over the truck I could send you if you’re interested. Just PM me.

Mike

You know what this thread needs?

Pig videos!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom