Looking at a HDJ81 - Please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at buying a cruiser - Please help

Alright everyone, I could use your help. I live in Canada and am looking at getting a HDJ81 imported from Japan. It would be a diesel model with low miles (60-80KM or 36- 50miles). Right now I have a semi resorted 1981 Toyota truck and I really want a cruiser.

I will accessorize the truck once I get it here. (ARB bumper, winch, sliders, 2.5" OME lift, lights etc...). And yes the truck will have factory lockers.

The big thing I am wrestling with is Auto or Manual. Straight up I MUCH PREFER manual, and really want to get one. However I have heard the Auto tranny is much better than the Standard version. Is this true? From what I hear the Auto runs lower revs on the highway (About 500-rpm lower) and is better built overall.

The truck will be my daily driver and I will use it for about :
50-60% city
20-25% highway
20-25% off-road.

I am going to keeping the truck for the next 10 years, so a few extra MPG will add up.
However I am thinking the Standard would do better milage around town and thus save on fuel in the long run.

You guys can see the specs for the 61 and 81 here, including the gear ratios:
http://www.kktrading-aurora.com/Spec.htm

I was thinking if I got the auto with 285's (33"s) or the Standard with 315 (34.5"s).
Would the lower gearing on the standard still give me enough power to drive the 315's on the highway?
I live in the Cranbrook BC, which is the middle of the mountains (Rockies and the Purcell's).

So basically what do you think will be better overall?
Standard or Auto?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
if you want a stick, get it.....

although the gear ratios listed in that spec sheet dont really make the manual tranny look all that much lower than the auto

and actually the auto has a wee bit higher od, so...... whatever

whazzup with that fuel consumption rate - 15.2 km/L for the stick and 13.7 km/L for the auto

by my math (.621 M = 1km and 1 gal = 3.785L) that's 35.72 mpg / 32.2 mpg

that sounds really good

until you realize that 60km/h is 38 mph

Nick,

What is the price difference you've been quoted on between the AT and the MT HDJ's?

Because it is far easier to find one with AT, you would be paying at least 2-3k (Canadian or US :D ) for a 5sp with similar options and conditions.

If you could get the 5sp for the same/similar price, then by all means, you should go for it. If you could be selective (which I assume you can), I would ask for the one with the "Cold Climate Package" which includes front seat warmers, bigger/better starters(?), alternators(?) and/or batteries (or combinations of those: SORRY!).

The GX version can be had easier (only?) in 5sp, but is fende flare-less with barndoors, VX is a little nicer with moon roof, etc... and VX Limited gets you the center console cooler/ice box, etc... not sure if you could ever get the VX Limited with cooler/ice box, if it matters to you at all. Sorry if you already knew some/all of this mumbo-jumbo. ;)

Anyway, I had a bud who had a VX with locking diffs (F/R) AND a 5sp, rare combo indeed. He mostly started off the line in 2nd gear. The noise/rpm at cruise did not seem bad at all.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Mot :)

i test drove a standard HDJ81 a couple of weeks ago in vancouver. there is one for sale in a shop under the granville bridge. I thought first gear was way too short to be comfortable driving around in town. I am sure it would be fine out of town, but personally I would prefer an automatic. It has plenty of low end power by the way, so I doubt the auto would be a dog.

tranny

hey nick,

I live in Panama and down here almost all 80's are 1HD-T with A442F trannys...

I can confidently recomend this AT... you can lock second gear and take off from second with the push of a button for city driving and it helps in Low gear in the sand as well... you can lock the transfer on some later models for true 4WD via a viscous coupler and a $50 switch if it doesn't come with one... all models have the wiring all you need is the switch!!!....

this transmission also has O/D and gives more control on descents.... it also has a 0.765 ratio on fourth gear wich is nice on the haul to work every morning on a turbo!!! .... and on the trail this tranny is a solid performer with solid shift points that can be easily manipulated by throttle positioning...

I have to confess though i have never driven a 5 speed 80... so I dont have a solid basis for comparison... I did however drive for many years a HZJ70 with an H150F .... its as solid as anything you expect from 'Yota... however as a daily driver i do not recomend this transimission... it's long travel clutch matched with the distance from 1rst gear to 5th on the stick has you fatigued quickly... in other words its not ergonomic.... its more exciting than an A/T but far less comfortable!!!

hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more!!!!

oh since you are looking into running bigger tires here are some numbers for you to consider:

I hit 130km/h everyday with 37x12.5 MTR's on 15x10 rims @~3000RPM's with 4.88 gears ... after that velocity increases on flat surfaces slowly up to ~145km/h @~3300 RPM's .... redline starts @3600 RPM's

-uhuru- said:
I hit 130km/h everyday with 37x12.5 MTR's on 15x10 rims @~3000RPM's with 4.88 gears ... after that velocity increases on flat surfaces slowly up to ~145km/h @~3300 RPM's .... redline starts @3600 RPM's

-uhuru-,

A nice, real world information.

Thanks for sharing!

Mot :)

I have an auto 1994 HDJ80 1HD -T and have driven the manual version, personally I would choose the auto over the manual box; it is far smoother and better off road in most situations. The manual is marginally more economical running about town but this difference disappears on the open road. The manual is a little agricultural and can suffer under constant heavy towing. Like most auto boxes, the auto can be controlled manually to some extent by shifting the stick and overriding the overdrive switch which is how I often use it.

Just curious, and I have asked this question before in the vendors section and no one seems to be able to say, what is an HDJ81? Perhaps you can enlighten me.

auto correction here:

redline starts at ~4100 RPM´s not 3600

Gold Finger said:
Just curious, and I have asked this question before in the vendors section and no one seems to be able to say, what is an HDJ81? Perhaps you can enlighten me.

there was a thread on this in the international section. no one knows the defining difference iirc but Japanese market diesel 80s carry that designation starting in 1990.

In answer to some of your questions:

The price difference between a standard and auto would be about $1000-1500 CND (more) for the standard. To me this is trivial. I am going to spend $30,000 CDN buying the truck by the time its imported and taxed, and accessories added etc... An extra $1500 bucks on the vehicle that I really want, plus the fact I will keep it for tens years (or more) in no big deal.

As far as trim packages go, most of the ones coming over are the VX or VX limited. The ice box cooler would be nice, but is not a deal breaker. Once the vehicle lands for an extra $500 will will do a cold weather package, which includes two new 1000-watt power gel batteries, battery blankets, oil pan heater, anti-freeze heater, etc... it makes the vehicle easily good to -40'C temperatures, which is plenty for me.

I think the difference between the 80 and 81 had to do with the diesel. I think the gas versions were called the 80 and the diesel versions the 81.

Thank you for everyone that has helped.
I am still not sure about the auto/manual thing. I live in a small community of about 25'000 so there is not a lot of stop-n-go traffic. There is however lots of hills and passes to travel over.

If I do run larger tires (315's) I would still keep the stock 4.10 rear end since its a diesel I would have plenty of torque/power.

Do you guys think the Auto with a 4.10 on the back could easily turn 315's up hills? People are doing this with the gas versions so i would think the diesel version would have no problems.

I really want the standard over the auto and even though the auto might be better, I still want the standard. I guess what i was looking for was a yay-or-nay on one.

My thought was the standard and 315' would be close (7.5% lower geared) in final drive ratio than Auto with 285's.

I still might end up going with an auto, but I don't want to if the Standard is at all close. But hey, with that much power and Auto and 315's would probably work well.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on propane injection?
It seems like the only downside is the initial investment.

Anyways, sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for all the help,
Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
I think the difference between the 80 and 81 had to do with the diesel. I think the gas versions were called the 80 and the diesel versions the 81.

you might want to read goldfinger's post again. He drives an HDJ80 with the same motor as and HDJ81.

the HDJ81 in Vancouver has dropped to $22,000 asking and is basically pristine. It has been for sale for 8 weeks at least. You are paying way too much if you spend $30,000 imho.

Thanks for the info on the Vancouver one. I will try and track it down. If someone could PM me a phone number it would be much appreciated.

Also, the $30,000 would be in Canadian dollars.
That also includes the tax, ARB bumper, warn xti9500, IPF lights, 2.5 OME lift, and new tires (285 or 315's).

I used to work as a blacksmith and I am going to fab my own sliders and rear bumper. In fact, I might have the rear bumper laser cut in Calgary so I just have to weld it together and powder-coat it. It will be much cheaper in the end.

Hey Nick,

Are you buying directly from the KKtrading guys in Japan? by the sounds of it you're getting it from the guys in the Yukon, Outback I think.

I was in contact with the KK Trading guys in Japan and the prices are good. Some BC importers use them. Although you will be buying unseen, but I think they have a good rep.

When it's time to get my HZJ74 I'm going through them and import it myself. I wouldn't mind a trip to Vancouver and a road trip back to Toronto.

HDJ80's and HDJ81's both come with either 1HZ or 1HD-T diesel engines I believe.

the difference is on some of the specs ...I think 81's come with vertical rear doors , larger A/c condenser/evaporator/ .... and other differences

Some are UN spec vehicles used throughout most of the middle east....

but hey don't quote me on this!!!

nickw said:
Thanks for the info on the Vancouver one. I will try and track it down. If someone could PM me a phone number it would be much appreciated.

Also, the $30,000 would be in Canadian dollars.
That also includes the tax, ARB bumper, warn xti9500, IPF lights, 2.5 OME lift, and new tires (285 or 315's).

I used to work as a blacksmith and I am going to fab my own sliders and rear bumper. In fact, I might have the rear bumper laser cut in Calgary so I just have to weld it together and powder-coat it. It will be much cheaper in the end.

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/.../_1990_TOYOTA_LAND_CRUISER_5_spped_turbo.aspx

I would try to get it for $20,000. The body is perfect except that the driver door is slightly scraped from when the sales guy started it in reverse with the clutch out at the start of my test drive :rolleyes: undercarriage is better than perfect. it has 285 tires in decent shape but i can't recall the brand.

it has a lift of about 2.5" using rancho 9000 shocks and unknown coils. front bumper is steel aftermarket but can't touch an ARB. no third row seats. cloth interior. HKS turbo timer and boost gauge.

Oh and a 9.5 xTI winch is not really big enough for the truck. you ideally want an mx12000.

Thanks for the link semlin. Looks interesting, I will have to call them about it.
The KM's are a little high, but for the right price I could ignore it.

Do you know if its a LHD or RHD? It does not say anything about factory lockers. The truck I get must have factory lockers. I will call them about it.

Also, do you know how much a mx12000 would run, and will it fit in a ARB bumper? I thought a 95 xTI would of been enough with a snatch block.

Thanks for you help,
Nick

The price of an 81 with lockers in good shape is from $25 - 28 from on-line importers that I've seen. Good luck finding lockers on an 81 for less then 25k.

To buy a mint mint mint unit from auction with all options is around $18, but then you have to pay all the taxes, duty, and fees. The funny thing is that when you buy it already imported you need to pay PST and GST on the purchase price ($22-->$25.3). If you import it you pay PST/GST + duty on the auction price ($18-->$21.2). So tax is a wash if you import it yourself or buy it here.

Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom