Looking at a HDJ81 - Please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nickw said:
Thanks for the link semlin. Looks interesting, I will have to call them about it.
The KM's are a little high, but for the right price I could ignore it.

Do you know if its a LHD or RHD? It does not say anything about factory lockers. The truck I get must have factory lockers. I will call them about it.

Also, do you know how much a mx12000 would run, and will it fit in a ARB bumper? I thought a 95 xTI would of been enough with a snatch block.

Thanks for you help,
Nick

it is RHD and a japanese import. you think 138,000km is high :eek: ? I would not have thought that would be an issue. it don't think it had lockers, just a CDL switch, so that is an issue. I agree lockers are very nice. I do know where you can get a used stock locked rear axle from a 93 in vernon. PM me if that interests you.

For a winch, if you have a US mailing address you can get them very cheap online. this price includes free shipping within the us

http://www.winchdepot.com/winchDetail.asp?partNumber=17801

(if you come and get it yourself you are welcome to ship it to a place i have just accross the border in pt. roberts)

the price at north shore off road was C$1900 or something.

I just bought a used warn m10000 as a compromise. These were the original recommended winch by ARB for the 80 with bullbar and the bullbar is only rated for an m10,000. ARB actually got Warn to continue making m10000's exclusively for them for 80 bumpers for a few years after warn dropped it from the line. Anyway, virtually everyone on this board who winches insists you should get the mx12,000 and they fit although there is a trick. it has a 4.5 hp motor vs. 2.6 hp on my M10,000.

I don't know much about the xti9500. Does it even fit the ARB? That's a winch designed for fast line speed isn't it? You could obviously use a snatch block, but that winch series only weighs about 90lbs and mine and the mx12,000 weigh 140lbs so i imagine they are a little more heavy duty in construction.

I actually called today on my lunch about the one in Granville Island.
It does not have factory lockers, and I would MUCH prefer one that does.

The 140k is not that high, but I would rather pay an extra 3K for one that only has 60K on it. I am going to keep the vehicle for a long time, so to me the less KM's the better.

As far as the winch goes I will have to look at the m10000 and mx12000. The only reason I was looking at the 9500 is because it was recommended to me as an easy fit and install. I thought with a snatch block it would be plenty good. However if the m10000 fits a used one of those would be good as well.
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid?

Anyways, we will see what I get. As much as I want to Standard I think the auto might be a better bet. In fact, I spoke to a guy in town (who would of thought) that has a Manual 81 on order. He is waiting for it to be shipped from Japan. He said if it gets here before I start shopping I could take it for a spin and compare it to an auto.

I have to wait for my house to sell before I can buy something anyways. I have an offer in and I'm just waiting for the subjects to come off. The closing date is Sept 1. Once it sell I will be in the market ASAP. I'm just trying to figure out stuff now.

Cheers,
Nick

the m10000 was C$500 locally in vancouver. There were a bunch of them for sale locally recently all at once.

can't argue with your logic if you really can find a 60k vehicle that cheap. my sense is the JDM import business is getting a little out of control right now. I am seeing them everywhere.

nickw, I am up the road in Fernie. I have an 80 with all the goodies listed below(and More). IMHO i would go with the auto. Way friendlier off road and around town. The m12000 fits the ARB easily. I installed the bumper and then the winch by myself. Absolutely get one with lockers if you have the choice. As for tire size going to the 315 will cause you to lose some power. I was supercharged and went with 4.88s after driving with the 4.10s for a while(including the rubicon). The 4.10s worked but the 4.88s were a hugh improvement. BTW going to 315s can add other suspension issues. Lots of threads on that on mud and at sleeoffroad.
Cheers,
Sean

Thanks MTNRAT,

Wow, more local people driving new cruisers, and here I thought I would be exclusive. Would you mind if I called you to ask you some questions?

If thats okay you can PM me your number.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
So how do you think the diesel with 315's and stock 4.10 rear-end be?

Also, anyone have any opinions on propane injection 81's?
And does anyone know the cost of the propane injection itself.

Cheers,
Nick

I Drove the HDJ-81 on granville island this afternoon... made a post in the international section about it (where you would get much better answers to your questions)... (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=55500)

I would not buy an HDJ-81 with an automatic, but thats just me... I really liked the 5-Speed on it, didn't find first too tall at all. Had plenty of pickup, I really loved it. But I agree with what others have said, the automatic is probably a good choice.

Didn't have the FR/RR diff locks which is why I didn't get it.

hdj81 landcruiser

Hi,
I live in the fraser valley and have just purchased a hdj81 landcruiser for myself thats in exc with a 4 B auction grade.It has the front and rear factory lockers with 115,000 kms.This is a real cream puff compared to all the other ones I looked at for sale in B.C.All the ones I have seen imorters bringing in have a 3-3.5 auction grade with a C grade interior.

If you are interested I would be able to bring one in for you with low kms and lockers front and rear for around $22,000 with a manual transmission.Keep in mind that would be one of the nicest cond ones in the province.Call me at 1604 617-2999

Hi,
I live in the fraser valley and have just purchased a hdj81 landcruiser for myself thats in exc with a 4 B auction grade.It has the front and rear factory lockers with 115,000 kms.This is a real cream puff compared to all the other ones I looked at for sale in B.C.All the ones I have seen imorters bringing in have a 3-3.5 auction grade with a C grade interior.

If you are interested I would be able to bring one in for you with low kms and lockers front and rear for around $22,000 with a manual transmission.Keep in mind that would be one of the nicest cond ones in the province.Call me at 1604 617-2999

Replying to a 22 month old post is not likely to get you any business as Nick already bought and then rolled a 81 quite some time ago.

I would also consider all importers "Curbers" until they prove otherwise as well.

So how do you think the diesel with 315's and stock 4.10 rear-end be?

Also, anyone have any opinions on propane injection 81's?
And does anyone know the cost of the propane injection itself.

Cheers,
Nick

I drove 315's for a couple of years and moved to 33's after. The difference was barely noticeable and you had to know your motor to feel it. In theory 315's will consume 5% more of your power to turn, but I never felt it. I downgraded to 33's because I had a hard time finding 35's and they cost so much more.

Mine is stock gearing and auto. Fuel consumption on the highway is about 7 or 8/liter City with lots of traffic stop and go crawl closer to 5.

I like the idea of a manual for sustained downhill driving, but that's about it. The auto serves very well. I hardly ever have enough space to drive at 140kph, but my rpms are less than 2500 when at that speed. The engine doesn't make much fuss at that speed. Climbing mountains is a no sweat.

Once you get everything up to par, the 1HD-T gets boring. It drinks less fuel than the gas version and gives more acceleration. The engine is not as noisy as other brand deisels and you can't hear it once you close the windows.

Kalawang

I live in Edmonton and I have the exact truck with the auto. THe 5sp is harder to find with all the goodies, diff lock, factory winch, cruise contol, etc. I found a few in Japan, but none with low miles in "mint" cond. Mostly working trucks that were actually used. So I gave up and went with an auto "cream puff".

I miss my clutch sometimes (I've always had a 5sp before), but honestly if your serious about offroading an auto is the way to go. People mention "rocking it" out of a hole with a clutch, but honestly you get a HD81 with lockers and mud tires stuck you ain't to "rocking it" anywhere. Your looking to find a buddy with a tree farmer or a bulldozer. The transmission holds fine in low gears to assist breaking on steep grades and you never lose momentum in a gear shift.

The guys who give these high fuel mileage numbers need a math lesson. 17-19 city 22-24 highway if you drive like an old lady (95km/h max). The 5sp might give you a slight edge but minimal in practice. THe high mileage number are based at 60km/h with ideal conditions. Not the Calgary Trail with mud tires.

Honestly the truck is fantastic off road and pretty damn good on the highway. I finished a road trip today. 1000km-Edmonton-Hinton-Nodegg (via the forestry road) then back to Edmonton. (300km gravel mountain roads). About 125L of fuel (I drive like an old lady 100km absolute max.) That's roughly 19mpg.

I like whipping through the gears as much as the next guy, but I gave up waiting and I've never looked back. $17,500 CDN to my door, tax in, inspected, ready to drive a year and a half ago (KKtrading). I think they are even cheaper now.

If you are really serious about the cold get an Espar or BlueHeat System ($$$, but they are amazing). I only have an inline lower rad coolant heater, it works fine to get it running and I live in Edmonton (brrr!!!), but its a cold weather start and the beast takes almost 20 minutes to warm up (zero heat).

Last edited:
A friend of mine took out his tranny on an HDJ-81 recently when he used it for towing. He claims the Auto is a weak link. That said I like my Auto and it does a better job powering through mud holes because it can develop torque without slipping wheels as much. Oh BTY a new auto tranny is around $15k...

WoW old thread - had to comment about the tranny - My stock tranny lasted 60,000km with regular towing avg.3,500lb loads(200,000 on truck so not sure if P.O. towed much).. great tranny but not great for towing on a regular basis.

But either you're getting hosed on the tranny price quoted or being completely misinformed second hand... even with a new transmission beefed up with torque converter and valve body kit you're between 5 and 6 grand installed... a lot mind you but not anywhere near 15k.

HDJ80's and HDJ81's both come with either 1HZ or 1HD-T diesel engines I believe.

the difference is on some of the specs ...I think 81's come with vertical rear doors , larger A/c condenser/evaporator/ .... and other differences

Some are UN spec vehicles used throughout most of the middle east....

but hey don't quote me on this!!!

From my understanding, HDJ80 is the 12-valve Diesel Turbo and the HDJ81 is the 24-valve version.

KK trading

Hi there, did you ever buy a truck from KK trading? Just wondering if you were pleased with the result or not, as I am thinking of doing the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom