Looking at a 99 this weekend, any tips for a Newbie? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My advice, which was thankfully but painfully driven into my skull by 100 members was this.

Slow the hell down.

Doesn’t mean I care less, it means care more.

Search here and learn about it. What your needs are comes down to model year and trim.

Thanks, good advice. I decided not to look at the 99 until I know more about them and decide exactly what my needs are. There are others out there, and the guy selling the 99 is in no particular hurry to sell.

I've also realized a 1st gen Sequoia will also prob fit my needs and budget, so I've decided to look into them as well. I want to look at both to see which one "grabs" me more than the other.

I don't know if anyone is still reading his at this point, haha, but I'll continue to update on my search.

A '00 LC popped up on CL the other day, only a few miles from my work. I went to check it out today. I wasn't terribly interested in this one, but it WAS in pretty nice shape. It's got 208k on it, and he's asking $7,999. He started it up for me, and let me poke around the interior.

This thing ran smooooooth and quiet. Could barely tell it was running. Supposedly owned by a Toyota tech, manifolds were done (they looked fairly new), and it had "t-belt at 185k" in paint pen on the airbox. Looked decent underneath for a new England vehicle. Interior was clean, and while the leather on the drivers seat showed wear, it has not cracked or torn.

I didn't drive it, I didn't want to waste that much of his time as I was not that interested. I sat in the driver's seat, and YES, that's the seating position I'm looking for. Just sitting there felt good, the vehicle felt large, but not huge. It reminded me of my first gen Grand Cherokee, just larger. Also, I LOVE THE REAR TAILGATE! The cargo and rear passenger room looked great too. I realize I'm stating the obvious here, but this was my first time being that close to one.

It's black over charcoal two tone, with tan leather. Looks sharp. Paint was in good shape for a 20 y/o vehicle, and it was wearing fairly new Michelins. Oh, and no nav.

s***, I may be talking myself into it, haha.

I've owned a lot of different vehicles, drove a lot more, I have beater, many would call rusted out 100 with 350k on it and it's my favorite vehicle I've owned. I just bought a second with very little rust and 280k for my wife. I do all my own work for the most part which makes ownership easier on the wallet and I have a spare f150 if a vehicle is out of commission while I'm repairing it. If you can do your own work I highly recommend these, if not like any high mileage vehicle the repairs can add up. You pay either way though, repairs or a car payment, hopefully not both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom