Looking at a 96, is it worth what he’s askin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a 96 non locked with 240 on the clock. Runs fine, drives alright but would need work, as they all do. Pretty much leaking from every orifice (valve, crank, oil pump seal). No sweet smell or milkshake, Oil felt good, but did get a couple bubbles in the overflow at 3000 rpms, wasn consistent, may not have been anything to worry about. Needs new tires. Windshield is garbage. Hail damage all over. Paint looks good if you can get past the dents. Axels sound and look good but I’m not sure when the last seal job was done. Owner hasn really maintained it all. Would need an extensive baseline. No rust what so ever though. I don’t mind doing the work as I am on my 97 40th right now, just wanna make sure it’s a good deal. He is askin 5000 and I can only get him down to 4500 with cash in hand. Do you think it’s worth it? See pics below

1B6DEFAE-BCD8-45FE-8093-2DC627A92E4A.jpeg

08D9B277-F692-4864-B934-111EB97E47C7.jpeg

AF3BDDED-D796-4A51-99F2-8C871360B21C.jpeg

E7AF9CF9-7951-4B83-9D81-F86369D78CCC.jpeg

E0C0047D-75B7-4F73-A433-356D60AFA976.jpeg

I wouldn't pay that much. It's nothing exceptional (mileage, lockers) and way too many problems to be addressed. $1k for tires, $400 windshield, $5k paint job, and that's just to get it into what I'd call sellable shape. Plus another $2k in general baseline and misc parts.

It sounds like this is going to need a full engine rebuild. Between that, the hail damage, and the windshield I don't think its worth $4500.

I’d rather have no rust then the hail damage if it’s only located mostly on the hood. Roof isn’t really and issue imho. Once lifted you won’t see it. Probably a decent price but not a steal. Assuming the engine doesn’t need a rebuild.

Whether the price is good or not I have no opinion on, but it is my opinion that you are better off waiting on a truck that has been properly maintained as it will save you much grief and headaches in the long run. This looks like a basket case to me.

If it’s worth that much to you, buy it. All these “is it worth it threads” are subjective to the buyer. You know what is going in your market, buy what you think is fair. I paid almost twice their asking price 2+ years ago with 150k in SoCal for a spotless rig.

What are your intentions for this 80? This will determine just how much work you actually need to do to it. Most of us had to fix the typical leaks, no big deal. The main thing here is that is a solid foundation that runs and shifts well. The interior looks pretty good.

How long has it been for sale? How many other 80’s are for sale within the distance you are willing to travel? When shopping for a 20+ year old 4x4 we have to pick our poison.

If you want a show and shine queen this might not be the rig but if you just want a woods/hunting vehicle.......

#partstruck

Nope. Where are you guys that these cost so much? I would pay more that 3000 for that here.

Fawk no.

Keep working on your 40th, don't waste money on this.

I saw it for sale and we are lookin for a 3rd car to drive around while I replace the HG on the 40th. In the pictures I saw prior to looking at it today it looked really good, then I got there and hail damage all over. Wasn what I was expecting. I told him I wouldn give him close to that with the expected repairs I would have to make, the hail damage it what really pushed me away. I like wrenching so that doesn bother me much. He’s proud of it though, had it listed for a couple months back at 8500, down to 4500 now. :doh:

What are your intentions for this 80? This will determine just how much work you actually need to do to it. Most of us had to fix the typical leaks, no big deal. The main thing here is that is a solid foundation that runs and shifts well. The interior looks pretty good.

How long has it been for sale? How many other 80’s are for sale within the distance you are willing to travel? When shopping for a 20+ year old 4x4 we have to pick our poison.

If you want a show and shine queen this might not be the rig but if you just want a woods/hunting vehicle.......

Exactly! Ya gunna wheel it or parade it? Cosmetics are not so important if your going to beat it up anyway. Some of us do that. I would still wait for price to drop a bit more. $4000 or less.

It's 5.5 hrs to Dallas and 4 hrs to ABQ from Amarillo. Certainly there are other options out there if you are willing to drive to either of those places.

The color is good. The interior looks half way decent. May be able to PDR the hail damage...

Personally, it's worth $2k to me. What it is worth to you is up to you. Someone else has already passed on it at $4500 so it wasn't worth that to them. I'd ride it out and see what happens. And check DFW CL and ABQ CL.

IMHO the hail damage is what kills the value; if the seller owned it when that happened he's already got his money out of it from the insurance company. Would make a great parts truck. Does it have a Salvage title? .

IMHO the hail damage is what kills the value; if the seller owned it when that happened he's already got his money out of it from the insurance company. Would make a great parts truck. Does it have a Salvage title? .

Title is clean, no mention of it on carfax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom