looking at a 92. Help me out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Theres a 92 around me that I was thinking about picking up. I'm sure you guys hear this daily, but I searched around a bit and found some info, but not enough yet. What should I look for when I inspect this Landcruiser? It has 150k on it. I'm not sure if it has lockers or not. But if someone could post a picture of the dash switches I would know. I just sold my favorite off road truck ever, an H1 I had for 2 years and I'm trying to replace it with a more practical wheeler. This truck fits that description for me. I plan to lift it and wheel it. Hard. So if you could just give me some hints, opinions etc that would be great! Also, it's an auto, if that makes a difference. I'd prefer a manual, but the H1 was auto and I liked that. I appreciate your help. And I'll continue searching on here too.

Erratic said:
I'm not sure if it has lockers or not. But if someone could post a picture of the dash switches I would know. [ snip ] Also, it's an auto, if that makes a difference. I'd prefer a manual ...

You should read the newbie guide on the Slee off-road site. They also have a "buying" guide that will be helpful.

None of the 91-92 FJ80's were availble with factory F&R diff locks. That was an option that was available from 1993 through end of US availability in 1997.

All 80 series available in the US were automatic transmissions. In fact, all US Land Cruisers since 1988 [? FJ62's] came exclusively with automatic transmissions.

Those FZJ80's with the factory F&R diff locks will have a switch that looks like this. The switch will be to the left of the steering column.

Diff_Lock_Switch.jpeg

The presence of the F&R diff lock option should be double checked by looking for the actuators on the diffs, by checking the axle code on the white label inside the DS door, and by actually checking the operation. We have seen a few cases where the switch was present but the vehicle did not have the option and we have seen cases where both the switch and the door plate indicated the vehicle had the option but someone had swapped axles. In one case, a forum member bought a truck that had the rear diff lock wiring harness removed, and another found that someone had unplugged the harness under the dash.

-B-

Last edited:
That's very helpful info. Thanks! I'll check out that site. That's what I was looking for, but hadn't found yet. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom