Looking at a 100 Series - Few problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I am looking at getting a 2000 UZJ100 with 90,000. The timing belt has been done and the truck looks clean overall. However, the CV boots must be leaking because there is grease everywhere inside the wheel well on both sides. I've looked at the forum and this seems to be common and a simple repair under $600. The other thing is the horn isn't working either. I find that strange. And the factory alarm appears to be on a different horn from the vehicle horn and it sounds weak too.

Given those things, should I be worried? Is leaking CVs at 90K a problem? Should a malfunctioning horn an indication of a serious electrical problem? How much is a horn repair, if this is a common problem? With 90K, would the CV replacement be covered under factory powertrain warranty?

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

unless the cv's are torn you're looking at a $5 fix to re-band them if you do it yourself. some folks here use hose clamps, others use a banding tool.

regarding the warranty, you'd have to look at the specific policy.

Leaky CV's can be as simple and inexpensive or as difficult and expensive as you want them to be. Personally, I'm a fan of the cheaper alternative whenever the option has been proven to work, and many people here have re-banded their CV's and driven thousands of miles with no ill effects. I'd be more concerned as to WHY they are leaking at 90K. Was the vehicle previously lifted? Are the boots torn? What kind of driving did the PO do with it? Unless you have a warranty in writing, Toyota won't cover anything at that mileage.

As for the horn, I'm not sure what to tell you on that one. Sounds like a wiring issue to me, as I have 136K on my '00 with what I presume is the OEM horn. They aren't exactly a high wear item. Are there indications of an aftermarket security system that was previously installed? If so, that could explain alot.

No horn issue ever reported on the board IIRC. Except that they are a little weak for the vehicle class.

Aftermarket security systems can cause a lot of problems especially when installed or removed by a person who can't (or doesn't bother to) fix the horn after accidentally disabling it.

Drive it to Slee for an inspection. No sense going anywhere else if the vehicle is in Colorado.

Thanks gentlemen,

No lift and no tears from what I can recall. I looked real fast at them and grabbed them to check, but I couldn't see any tears.

No aftermarket alarm either.

After further searching here on Mud, I found that there seems to be a few cases of horn issues. No solution to how to resolve it, but it seems like a few other owners have malfunctioning horns.

I may take my chances and just buy the truck. The prices seems pretty reasonable. Thanks again.

take the junction block out down by the dead pedal and blow it out with compressed air.

IIRC, the LC didn't have an audible horn beep with the OEM alarm - only the LX did. Double check for aftermarket alarm? Do they have a master key for the car?

IIRC, the LC didn't have an audible horn beep with the OEM alarm - only the LX did. Double check for aftermarket alarm? Do they have a master key for the car?

Yes, there was a master key. I looked in the engine bay and there were two large horns at the grill and a little round horn on the PS wheel well. I was assuming that was the factory alarm horn.

The seller said he would get the horn checked out at the dealership today or tomorrow. I asked to have the CV boots looked at while it's there, but I'll see if he follows through.

the horn on my 99, and i suspect your 2000, is nothing to be so proud about.

Buying a LC, beef up the shoes with new tires, put in a lift, drop the diff, and then cruise by your buds and hit the horn.....it's a lil embarrassing.

:rolleyes:

the horn on my 99, and i suspect your 2000, is nothing to be so proud about.

Buying a LC, beef up the shoes with new tires, put in a lift, drop the diff, and then cruise by your buds and hit the horn.....it's a lil embarrassing.

:rolleyes:

I have Hellas on my 80 right now that I plan on transferring over to the 100. That helps a little.

Correct, there should be no stock door lock / alarm activation chirp.

Interesting. Now that you mention this, I remember my 99 UJZ100 not beeping when I locked it. Crap. I'll have to look at it again. It might have an aftermarket alarm that he wasn't using since he had the key fob.

When I recently bought my '02 LC, one of my oem (I assume) horns wasn't functioning, the other was. I replaced them both with Fiamm replacement horns from PEP boys for about $32.

I also have the small horn on the PS front fender well. no clue what that does.

take the junction block out down by the dead pedal and blow it out with compressed air.

Huh? Where you going Loud? I had mine out a couple weeks ago and I don't see the point of blowing it out. If anything, taking out all the fuses on the front side and blowing them out would be just as effective as anything.

throw some hella supertones in them... the videos dont show how good they are but stand in front... they hurt

The CV boot is a wear item, the truck is 11 years old, it is normal to have a leaking CV boots.

My 2000 has the same horn arrangement - the little thing on the fender is somehow part of the alarm system. I added a pair of Cicada air horns behind the grill to offset the wimpy horn effect. Sounds like a fire truck now, but you need an air compressor and tank for those.

There is no key fob - it should all be built into the key. A key fob probably means aftermarket alarm or remote start (nice).

I have 160K on mine with the torsion bars cranked up about an inch and only the CV boot on the outside passenger side has leaked a little. It seems odd that somebody would replace the timing belt at 90k and not service leaking CV boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom