Looking at '87 4Runner

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I am looking at a '87 4runner 4cyl 5spd. Engine had been replaced and has ~59,000 miles on it. The truck itself has 269,000 The body/frame supposedly has very little rust since it is from the west coast. Transmission is in "good" shape. I know it will need work at some point (it is almost 20 years old) but I'm prepared to do most/all of the work myself. I'm going to take it to my mechanic before I buy it to make sure there are no big problems with it. I'm looking at buying this as my daily driver, any advice/ comments. Oh yea it's $2300 or B/O

Thanks

AxleIke

Sounds good...i've got an 87 runner, and its been runnin great for 255k...just do routine maintenance, and alignments, otherwise, a great truck

87 4runner

Great truck. I just bought one in the spring. No problems (140k miles)
and it will go anywhere. Great on gas (22re). Removable
top...the list goes on and on.
Enjoy !!

lunyou

well i had an 85 which are very close to the 87 and it was still running at 289K when i totalled it out and i should have repurchased it from the ins. comp.

Im still looking for one in the 85-89 range for my DD so i can get rid of my 93 PU

lunyou

I looked for a 85 runner for 5 years. I wanted a truck that wasadult owned and taken care of. So I could beat the crap out of it!!!

I found a 87 cream puff, it took me two years to finally chisel this this out of the guy. I absolutely love it.

With one Exception AUTOMATIC it sucks. I will swap out that auto someday and swap out the IRS with a solid axle. but until then I will drive the piss out of it.

Its still pretty good offroad but limited by clearance up front and poor gearing from automatic still pretty ok in low range though.

I bought a fj-40 for axles and lockers as I was going to part the truck out and turn the 4 runner into a beast. Problem being I fell in love with the fj-40 and now it's become my primary project. Its a real project in that its a basket case but should be trail ready by march.

Good luck in your search you can't go wrong with a toyota. I've bben forever covered from chevy and ford. I'll probably never go back except for an engine

I was going to comment until I noticed this post is from October. I love my '86. No problems at all.

Hey F-junker, I'm right around the corner from you in Charles Town.

Top Bottom