Looking at 2016 LC, CPO, hoping for some opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi,

New to the LC forums, but not new to the Toyota life.

The wife and I are a Toyota family, I have a 2017 T4R TRD OR, & the wife has a 2011 Sienna SE. We have 4 kids and the wife and I agree it's time to drop the Sienna and find a better camping/overland vehicle for my large family. The T4R is amazing, though it's not a 7 seater.

The sienna has just over 105K miles, and I've recently found a CPO 2016 LC w/ 19,xxx miles. Curious what the forums think is a reasonable price. The car is a single owner/lease vehicle. Dealer is asking $68K OTD, but I have not started negotiating yet.

Considering this is the most expensive vehicle I would've purchased, I'd like to know what you all think is a reasonable place to start. I want to get the best deal possible, and I'm new to this particular market.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris

Thank you, this forum is a little different than the T4R is set-up. Still learning my way around.

Thanks,
-Chris
All good, that thread actually sat w/in this section for a while, before it was moved over to classifieds.

hey Doc,

there was some discussion a few weeks back about 2016s coming off the rental fleets right around the 20k mile mark.
not sure how you feel about a rental, but it would be worth finding out if it was a single owner/lease/ or rental vehicle.
Good luck in your search or purchase if you buy this one.
welcome to the 200 section.

hey Doc,

there was some discussion a few weeks back about 2016s coming off the rental fleets right around the 20k mile mark.
not sure how you feel about a rental, but it would be worth finding out if it was a single owner/lease/ or rental vehicle.
Good luck in your search or purchase if you buy this one.
welcome to the 200 section.
Thanks for the response. This shows as a lease vehicle according to carfax. One of the selling points is that this is a CPO and has the extended power train warranty.

Edmunds seems to think that $68OTD is a fair price, but hoping those w/ experience in the 200 market could let me know if I should be asking for a better price.

Thanks,
-Chris

In your situation with 4 kids, I'm not sure having the 200-series replace the Sienna would be the best course. As you know, while 4x4s look large from the outside, functional space on the inside is impacted by the body on frame construction. With all 3 rows down, there's relatively little space behind the third row for anything. With the split 3rd row, you could have 3 in the middle, and 1 in the rear, with one side folded up for more "trunk" space. Just don't expect the 200-series to be anywhere near as accommodating and functional space wise as a minivan.

While not as appealing, I'd probably consider replacing the 4runner with the 200-series. You'd have a more functional capability between those two cars in the stable IMO.

In your situation with 4 kids, I'm not sure having the 200-series replace the Sienna would be the best course. As you know, while 4x4s look large from the outside, functional space on the inside is impacted by the body on frame construction. The all 3 rows down, there's relatively little space behind the third row for anything. With the split 3rd row, you could have 3 in the middle, and 1 in the rear, with one side folded up for more storage space. Just don't expect the 200-series to be anywhere near as accommodating and functional space wise as a minivan.

While not as appealing, I'd probably consider replacing the 4runner with the 200-series. You'd have a more functional capability between those two cars in the stable IMO.
We've considered that, but a turtleback trailer is also on our shopping list and that will provide the storage we need for our trips. When not taking the turtleback, we would use the roof rack, similar to my FR on my T4R.

She drove a local 200 series yesterday and loved it. My 2 bigger kids sat in the back and it seemed like a good fit. The two little ones would sit in the middle.

We are actually trying to avoid a larger vehicle but we want something that we can take off the beaten path. We almost bought a sequoia 3 months ago but felt it was "too clunky".

Seems like the 200 series is the front runner at the moment for my tribe.

-Chris

Hi,

New to the LC forums, but not new to the Toyota life.

The wife and I are a Toyota family, I have a 2017 T4R TRD OR, & the wife has a 2011 Sienna SE. We have 4 kids and the wife and I agree it's time to drop the Sienna and find a better camping/overland vehicle for my large family. The T4R is amazing, though it's not a 7 seater.

The sienna has just over 105K miles, and I've recently found a CPO 2016 LC w/ 19,xxx miles. Curious what the forums think is a reasonable price. The car is a single owner/lease vehicle. Dealer is asking $68K OTD, but I have not started negotiating yet.

Considering this is the most expensive vehicle I would've purchased, I'd like to know what you all think is a reasonable place to start. I want to get the best deal possible, and I'm new to this particular market.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris
TLC is not be comfortable space for 2 adults and 4 kids , ya its have a 3rd row, but it is not comfortable even for kids. I have 3 kids so it is OK 4 I do not recommend one . Plus TLC is a specialized car so there will be no much negotiations unless car is a lemon. I do recommend to look at Sequoia and compare them perhaps you will like it better.

TLC is not be comfortable space for 2 adults and 4 kids , ya its have a 3rd row, but it is not comfortable even for kids. I have 3 kids so it is OK 4 I do not recommend one . Plus TLC is a specialized car so there will be no much negotiations unless car is a lemon. I do recommend to look at Sequoia and compare them perhaps you will like it better.

Thanks for the input! We've looked at the Sequoia, came darn close to buying one actually. In the end, we just didn't think it was right. Regarding comfort, I suppose that is subjective to the person. We take lots of road trips, and the one constant I've found always remains true. With the right entertainment and snacks, any trip w/ 4 kids is possible.

We aren't looking for a land yacht, we want something that is durable, rugged, can take us outside and see the places we aren't able to from the highway. We want to tackle the trans-american trail as a family.

Regarding the price, I'm tracking this is a specialty vehicle, but I'm also aware that dealers need to move inventory. The dealers (in most cases) don't own the vehicles. In my experience, once the dealer passes that 60-90 day point, they become more motivated.

All that said, I've never bought a 200 series, and really wasn't sure if $68K OTD was a fair price for the vehicle mentioned.

Again, thanks for the input, hope I'm not sounding like an a**hole w/ my response, but the wife and I have gone back and forth over the last 8 months on the next rig and for our needs/wants, the LC seems like a great choice

-Chris

Take the entire family down to test drive one and bring a couple backpacks with you to see how everyone fits in there. The 200 is amazing, and I find the size to be perfect for us...which is only my wife and I plus the dog. I honestly couldn't imagine long road trips and/or going off road for any length of time with 2 adults and 4 kids. I know you've mentioned not wanting a Sequoia, but it's probably 80-90% of the vehicle the 200 is quality and capability wise and likely a little nicer for creature comforts and appreciably better at offering more space for people and cargo.

Also when comparing pricing or asking for advice on pricing, I would suggest not using OTD pricing if it includes tax and local fees - I'd compare apples to apples by looking at the purchase price plus any dealer fees and calculate the taxes and other local fees separately. Lots of people on the interwebs have a different definition of what OTD means, so comparing negotiated purchase price is far more useful.

Take the entire family down to test drive one and bring a couple backpacks with you to see how everyone fits in there. The 200 is amazing, and I find the size to be perfect for us...which is only my wife and I plus the dog. I honestly couldn't imagine long road trips and/or going off road for any length of time with 2 adults and 4 kids. I know you've mentioned not wanting a Sequoia, but it's probably 80-90% of the vehicle the 200 is quality and capability wise and likely a little nicer for creature comforts and appreciably better at offering more space for people and cargo.

Also when comparing pricing or asking for advice on pricing, I would suggest not using OTD pricing if it includes tax and local fees - I'd compare apples to apples by looking at the purchase price plus any dealer fees and calculate the taxes and other local fees separately. Lots of people on the interwebs have a different definition of what OTD means, so comparing negotiated purchase price is far more useful.

Good point on the pricing! The dealer price is $64K, the other $4K makes up TTL, doc fee.

-Chris

For a CPO that is not bad, when you say OTD, is that with TTL? (I assume so, but have seen a lot of internet posters use the term OTD and not include taxes...) If it includes everything, not bad with the CPO insurance, especially if there are a maintenance records. Keep in mind you can get a brand new 2018 vs a 2016 with nearly two years of mileage based on average driving patterns for $78k, or maybe even less. It may be worth the difference to you to have brand new. Especially when the 16 was the first year with a new tranny.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...archRadius=500&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=LC

With Tacomas and 4Runners, I only buy new because they depreciate very very little. The used pricing is simply insane. My LC was the first Toyota I bought used, because they depreciate quite as they are more of a luxury vehicle (still depreciate less than other luxury vehicles).

I ended up buying a used 200 with 70k miles, as I felt it had a lot of life left and I paid <half of sticker. I'll probably transform it into a backup/off road rig when the 300 series is announced and then decide whether to hold out for a 2nd/3rd year 300 series, or buy a new last year 200.

Good luck!

We've considered that, but a turtleback trailer is also on our shopping list and that will provide the storage we need for our trips. When not taking the turtleback, we would use the roof rack, similar to my FR on my T4R.

She drove a local 200 series yesterday and loved it. My 2 bigger kids sat in the back and it seemed like a good fit. The two little ones would sit in the middle.

We are actually trying to avoid a larger vehicle but we want something that we can take off the beaten path. We almost bought a sequoia 3 months ago but felt it was "too clunky".

Seems like the 200 series is the front runner at the moment for my tribe.

-Chris

Just checked out the turtleback trailer. Hadn't seen those before and they look pretty cool. Yes, that'll give you enough load out space for trips.

For me, it would be the day to day use of the LC with that large of a family that would be the concern. Ingress/egress requires everyone's coordination, with getting in and out on one side only while flipping the seat forward to access the 3rd row. I only do it when extended family is in, but it'll be a huge contrast to the wide both side sliding door access you have now. Only you can judge if you can live with that.

Sounds like the T4R is your baby and you refuse to let it go. And the new LC will be your wife's car. I get that. So that certainly weighs into your decision. Just cautioning to you, and your wife, that the LC is an 8-seater in spec, with compromises. I often have minivan envy when I see those two doors glide open with nary a button push when I drop the kids off at school. And the low lift-over height deep well storage in back. This is coming from the guy that shoehorns his kids in the back of a Porsche 911 for drop off btw. ;)

Thanks for the input! We've looked at the Sequoia, came darn close to buying one actually. In the end, we just didn't think it was right. Regarding comfort, I suppose that is subjective to the person. We take lots of road trips, and the one constant I've found always remains true. With the right entertainment and snacks, any trip w/ 4 kids is possible.

We aren't looking for a land yacht, we want something that is durable, rugged, can take us outside and see the places we aren't able to from the highway. We want to tackle the trans-american trail as a family.

Regarding the price, I'm tracking this is a specialty vehicle, but I'm also aware that dealers need to move inventory. The dealers (in most cases) don't own the vehicles. In my experience, once the dealer passes that 60-90 day point, they become more motivated.

All that said, I've never bought a 200 series, and really wasn't sure if $68K OTD was a fair price for the vehicle mentioned.

Again, thanks for the input, hope I'm not sounding like an a**hole w/ my response, but the wife and I have gone back and forth over the last 8 months on the next rig and for our needs/wants, the LC seems like a great choice

-Chris
Let me put it this way - If you and your wife agrees to get TLC - then do it.

Sure, 6 people in a LC will be tight, but if you want to go to really interesting places...............it's worth it. I do like the above suggestion of trading the 4R and keeping the Sienna for routine kid duty.

Regarding price; even dealers probably have trouble figuring that out, given the low volume of sales. The dealer I bought mine from talked with me a long time about that and noted the vast majority of people expressing an interest in the LCs on their lot (at least until they see the sticker) really have no idea what the vehicle is or it's capabilities/quality. They recognized my knowledge and worked very hard to make the sale, since not that many buyers will go for the LC price range unless they know what's in it. IMHO, the $64,000 you stated is a fair (neither good nor bad) price. But, keep in mind the CPO thing doesn't really do much for you on a '16 LC with only 19K miles. What would be really cool is if you could negotiate that same price, but with the Toyota brand Platinum Vehicle Services Agreement for 8 years/125K miles included. That would be good deal and give you much more value than a CPO by covering the whole vehicle and not just the usually bulletproof drivetrain.

I would also agree on the price. The biggest issue with 200 series is that there are so few made. So you have very few used models to compare prices. If you like the truck then buy it. Not sure if the truck is local to you or not. That’s certainly a plus because a lot of members end up buying their used 200’s over long distance.

Sure, 6 people in a LC will be tight, but if you want to go to really interesting places...............it's worth it. I do like the above suggestion of trading the 4R and keeping the Sienna for routine kid duty.

Regarding price; even dealers probably have trouble figuring that out, given the low volume of sales. The dealer I bought mine from talked with me a long time about that and noted the vast majority of people expressing an interest in the LCs on their lot (at least until they see the sticker) really have no idea what the vehicle is or it's capabilities/quality. They recognized my knowledge and worked very hard to make the sale, since not that many buyers will go for the LC price range unless they know what's in it. IMHO, the $64,000 you stated is a fair (neither good nor bad) price. But, keep in mind the CPO thing doesn't really do much for you on a '16 LC with only 19K miles. What would be really cool is if you could negotiate that same price, but with the Toyota brand Platinum Vehicle Services Agreement for 8 years/125K miles included. That would be good deal and give you much more value than a CPO by covering the whole vehicle and not just the usually bulletproof drivetrain.

Even now we are cross shopping the Sequoia and LC, and the wife seems to like the LC better. I'm going to continue to work on the dealer while also checking out a T4R limited and the new LR Disco tomorrow.

Just checked out the turtleback trailer. Hadn't seen those before and they look pretty cool. Yes, that'll give you enough load out space for trips.

For me, it would be the day to day use of the LC with that large of a family that would be the concern. Ingress/egress requires everyone's coordination, with getting in and out on one side only while flipping the seat forward to access the 3rd row. I only do it when extended family is in, but it'll be a huge contrast to the wide both side sliding door access you have now. Only you can judge if you can live with that.

Sounds like the T4R is your baby and you refuse to let it go. And the new LC will be your wife's car. I get that. So that certainly weighs into your decision. Just cautioning to you, and your wife, that the LC is an 8-seater in spec, with compromises. I often have minivan envy when I see those two doors glide open with nary a button push when I drop the kids off at school. And the low lift-over height deep well storage in back. This is coming from the guy that shoehorns his kids in the back of a Porsche 911 for drop off btw. ;)

Nah, the T4R is staying, as it's currently being built up farther than my wife would ever tolerate for her vehicle.

We love our sienna, but our youngest is 2, and close to being out of the stroller phase. We have learned to LOVE the functionality of the Sienna, but are also ready to move on. She is also ready for something else and likes the idea of having a "smaller" vehicle as our kids are growing out of bulky car seats and strollers.

I would also agree on the price. The biggest issue with 200 series is that there are so few made. So you have very few used models to compare prices. If you like the truck then buy it. Not sure if the truck is local to you or not. That’s certainly a plus because a lot of members end up buying their used 200’s over long distance.

The vehicle is about 500 miles away....I'd likely fly out and drive it home.

What about new 2017s at mid to low $70k's?
I haven't found any that are low to mid $70K after TTL. I've found several 2016's that are below $70K after TTL.

So it's about a $8-$10K difference if I go to a 2017.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom