Looking at 1999 Cruiser with no key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked at 1999 cruiser yesterday, but the owner didn't have a key. He parked it about 3 or 4 years ago because the engine seized. He assumed timing belt. Who knows? Anyway, the question is where do I start? The car is locked. Its really a parts car, but I want the key to do my own due diligence. It has potential because its a non rusty rig. The flip side is that the price is not free and I don't really want a pile of scrap. Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea where to start! I looked in the stickies and searched the forum but couldn't find the info needed.

Also, I have a 2002 cruiser and have worked on cars for 40 years so its not my first project.

Lishi Tool $54.00

Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube has videos that demonstrate the use of a Lishi. I've tried the padlock versions and they are astonishingly easy to use. The saving grace for automotive is the electronic security systems that come in newer (20 years old is newer to me). So a Lishi is made more for your needs than a thief.

Lishi Tool $54.00

Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube has videos that demonstrate the use of a Lishi. I've tried the padlock versions and they are astonishingly easy to use. The saving grace for automotive is the electronic security systems that come in newer (20 years old is newer to me). So a Lishi is made more for your needs than a thief.
I should've said that I'm more interested in what to do once I'm inside. I want to be able to at least put some power to it before I decide if I'm buying it.

Ok. I don't think you can open the hood to charge the battery without getting in. The Lishi, once the lock is turned, can be used to decode the pins. It's not easy or a slam dunk. Maybe the better bet would be to contact a locksmith. That way there is no appearance issues.

Have the owner cut a key from VIN at a dealer. This will allow you to crank the engine if it is not seized. @Mauser can help you with immobilizer key/system if you decide to get it started.
Oh! I like the sound of that! In reading some other threads, I was getting the impression that I would need to to get a new ecu. I'm going to reach out to the local Toyota dealers and get a price.

New ECU and a lot of💰💰💰at Toyota is one of the many ways of fixing it.

Just get a used ECU with master key on eBay if you're not tech savvy. You can program other keys/blades as your master with Techstream at that point. I'm in a similar spot as you with having just bought a 2000 LX with only a valet key. I bought a eeprom programmer on amazon that I have to mod a bit, but I'm just going to virginize my existing ECU so that I can program 3 new masters and 1 more valet. I got an OEM Lexus master key shell on eBay that I'm going to have the dealer cut from VIN for as cheap as possible, and I got a few cheap chinese masters with transponders to copy and program as back ups. Given I only paid $2500 for the whole truck, the $500-1600 they were suggesting I pay at the dealer didn't sound like my kind of party.

timing belt issue will not seize an engine

I've bought rigs before with "seized" engines, don't trust anything a PO says

Just get a used ECU with master key on eBay if you're not tech savvy. You can program other keys/blades as your master with Techstream at that point. I'm in a similar spot as you with having just bought a 2000 LX with only a valet key. I bought a eeprom programmer on amazon that I have to mod a bit, but I'm just going to virginize my existing ECU so that I can program 3 new masters and 1 more valet. I got an OEM Lexus master key shell on eBay that I'm going to have the dealer cut from VIN for as cheap as possible, and I got a few cheap chinese masters with transponders to copy and program as back ups. Given I only paid $2500 for the whole truck, the $500-1600 they were suggesting I pay at the dealer didn't sound like my kind of party.

This is what I do. If you need any help with your project let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom