Looking at 1996 diesel 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

great feedback, thanks for typing all that in. đź‘Ť

No love for the 1HZ here? Not sure why people chase a turbo so much. What I can tell you is that down here in Australia, that exact spec (1HZ with a manual gearbox) is the most sought after config, and command the highest prices when they come up for sale. Reliable as hell, easy to fix, an engine which is still produced and parts readily available, and you get 1000kms on 135 litres of fuel in the stock main+sub tanks. It's what I drive, and down here where the full mix of petrol and diesel models were available, it's shown itself to be the best over time, so I'd take that into consideration. The factory turbo gave you, on paper at least, 122kw vs the 96kw in the 1HZ. Sure, that's a small bump, but don't expect it to totally change the car.

I can see the point @SNLC makes about altitude. I have no experience over about 1500m altitude on mine, but it was fine for me up to there. As you get higher though, you might appreciate the turbo to force more oxygen into the motor. I can't speak to that point, pretty flat here in oz. I personally find the 1HZ it perfectly fine on mountains and steep slopes. Don't plan on sticking massive tyres on though. I run 265/75/r16 tyres, which is the metric equivalent of 31.6" google tells me, on a 2 inch lift. I think that's pretty much the golden setup with this engine, IMO. Above that and you might have trouble on regular roads up hills, always having to drop into 3rd.

Remember with diesel vs petrol though, the 1HZ diesel will be better than the petrol motor in proper off-road terrain every time, because a diesel gets more power at the low end of the RPM range than the petrol models, and with the manual box, I guarantee I could go over rough stuff at low speed easier than any petrol 80. And the diesel isn't nearly as thirsty either, so I'll go much further without refuelling for long tours. As I said, 1000km without refuelling, and I've physically measured that myself in real world driving. If this is a proper part-time transfer case too, you won't waste any power spinning the front prop shaft, diff, and axles, and without the auto trans stealing some power, the amount of hp you get at your wheels is probably closer to the factory petrol models in the US than you'd expect. Sure, they'll probably still be able to beat you in a drag race on the highway, but that's not what I bought my 80 to do.

I disagree with your call on HZ powered cruisers being more desirable than hd-t, hd-ft, hd-fte cruisers in Australia.
Prices in the used car market also don't support your comments.
Yes, the HZ engine is more sought after than a petrol, but people pay stoopid prices for factory turbo'd cruisers.

I disagree with your call on HZ powered cruisers being more desirable than hd-t, hd-ft, hd-fte cruisers in Australia.
Yes, the HZ engine is more sought after than a petrol, but people pay stoopid prices for factory turbo'd cruisers.
People list for stupid prices, not sure how many sell for them. I keep an eye on the listings on gumtree, and the 1HZ 80's go really fast. Usually within a couple of days of listing unless there's something seriously wrong with it. Someone's trying to flog a 1HD-FT swap for $44K right now. Good luck to him, it won't sell at that price. Just because someone had a listing for $20K up for a month doesn't mean he sold for that either, he might have let it go for $12K in the end, very hard to know. If you've got some hard data on sale prices/volumes in the used market, please share it. I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just commenting on what I observe come and go.

Some people will pay stupid money for a factory turbo, I fully agree with you. Half of those probably get shipped overseas. I'd argue there's a much bigger market locally though for people who'd like to get a "pov pack" 80 with a natural diesel/manual/part time that'd pay reliable good money for them, than the couple of randoms who pay stupid money for a factory turbo. Often the turbo diesel models get paired with other undesirable features (auto trans, sunroof, full time 4wd) that take some of the appeal away for people who actually want to drive these things.

Words to live by!

All I know about it is that buying a 1HDT/FT/FTE in Australia for a swap is huge money. I have been quoted $20k aussie bucks for packages with 300-400,000kms on them.

Cheers

you've got some hard data on sale prices/volumes in the used market, please share it. I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just commenting on what I observe come and go.

I'd argue there's a much bigger market locally though for people who'd like to get a "pov pack" 80 with a natural diesel/manual/part time

I see where you’re coming from, but really have to disagree...

The factory turbo diesels are a much better option compared to a 1HZ (I own several turbo models). Firstly, it’s really easy to get a factory turbo in manual, and while it’s much harder to get a part time version (as you’re stuck buying the POV pack 90-92 DX models) I’d say it’s much much better to buy a late model and do the conversion yourself (it’s only $600 to convert to part time).
The thing with those stupid high priced FT models is... they actually are selling for that sort of price. Some get exported to Dubai but a lot are selling locally for $30k+.

the problem with buying a 1HZ is it will always be a HZJ model and have limited resale (even if you do decide to swap in a HDT/HDFT). Not saying they are a bad vehicle, but if you plan to do a lot of mods and keep the vehicle a long time just buy the turbo model in the first place. I know far too many guys who have cheap’d out and ended up spending more money converting or selling and buying a turbo...

Buy cruiser, enjoy cruiser, refrain from soliciting the opinions of others and disregard those who choose to irrigate you with their opinions.

No love for the 1HZ here? Not sure why people chase a turbo so much. What I can tell you is that down here in Australia, that exact spec (1HZ with a manual gearbox) is the most sought after config, and command the highest prices when they come up for sale. Reliable as hell, easy to fix, an engine which is still produced and parts readily available, and you get 1000kms on 135 litres of fuel in the stock main+sub tanks. It's what I drive, and down here where the full mix of petrol and diesel models were available, it's shown itself to be the best over time, so I'd take that into consideration. The factory turbo gave you, on paper at least, 122kw vs the 96kw in the 1HZ. Sure, that's a small bump, but don't expect it to totally change the car.

I can see the point @SNLC makes about altitude. I have no experience over about 1500m altitude on mine, but it was fine for me up to there. As you get higher though, you might appreciate the turbo to force more oxygen into the motor. I can't speak to that point, pretty flat here in oz. I personally find the 1HZ it perfectly fine on mountains and steep slopes. Don't plan on sticking massive tyres on though. I run 265/75/r16 tyres, which is the metric equivalent of 31.6" google tells me, on a 2 inch lift. I think that's pretty much the golden setup with this engine, IMO. Above that and you might have trouble on regular roads up hills, always having to drop into 3rd.

Remember with diesel vs petrol though, the 1HZ diesel will be better than the petrol motor in proper off-road terrain every time, because a diesel gets more power at the low end of the RPM range than the petrol models, and with the manual box, I guarantee I could go over rough stuff at low speed easier than any petrol 80. And the diesel isn't nearly as thirsty either, so I'll go much further without refuelling for long tours. As I said, 1000km without refuelling, and I've physically measured that myself in real world driving. If this is a proper part-time transfer case too, you won't waste any power spinning the front prop shaft, diff, and axles, and without the auto trans stealing some power, the amount of hp you get at your wheels is probably closer to the factory petrol models in the US than you'd expect. Sure, they'll probably still be able to beat you in a drag race on the highway, but that's not what I bought my 80 to do.
Here in Zambia every safari vehicle has a 1HZ. We don't do fast in Africa.

Yes you are correct. I'm in the middle of gathering parts for a diesel swap and I'm getting extra of the consumables and the critical components because of this
@SteelHunterFJ80 - also in the middle of a 1HZ diesel swap... would love to see your list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom