Looking at 1996 diesel 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across this 1996 80 Series truck here in Costa Rica, diesel-powered with manual transmission. I'm assuming it is a 5-speed. It was originally sold here in Costa Rica. and has 250K kilometers on the clock. I'm going to look at it next Wednesday. I'm trying to research the specs on this truck but can't find any info. If anyone can enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

1624056179187.png

1624056308440.png

Are you able to get a VIN or frame number?

Yes, 1hz engine.

If it's manual, I would guess its a 5 speed.
Aussie spec 1hz manuals had H150F 5 speed transmission. They are pretty well bomb proof, but do tend to have issues with 2nd and 3rd gear synchro rings. Changing to a slightly different spec oil often solves this.

The 80series 1hz take a turbo pretty well if you do it right with a modern diesel specific turbo.
If done wrong, you'll create overheating issues and head gasket issues.

1hz... no turbo. If you want a dog just get a gasser. No sense in a non turbo diesel imo.
Here is Costa Rica diesel is cheaper than gasoline plus the added fuel mileage of a diesel so I'd rather have a doggy diesel than a doggy gasser.
Are you able to get a VIN or frame number?
I will when i check it out next Wednesday.

The silver plate in picture on the firewall behind master cylinder has info.
Plate will also provide transmission and axle codes.

1HZ is a good engine. Have a hzj75 with over 460,000kms. From the picture it looks it hasn't been beaten.

Here is Costa Rica diesel is cheaper than gasoline plus the added fuel mileage of a diesel so I'd rather have a doggy diesel than a doggy gasser.

I will when i check it out next Wednesday.
He wasn't saying don't get a diesel...he was saying get one with the stock turbo charged ones. Like 1hd-t or 1hdft

I'd love to get a turbo diesel. Did any of the Central American 80 series trucks come with a turbo diesel from the factory? My experience here in Costa Rica with any upgrades done locally has been terrible so I'm not interested in a truck that has had a turbo added by a local mechanic.

I'm currently driving a Turbo'd 1hdt 80/81, 1hz powered non turbo HZJ75 and a gasser 80.
Most happy in the 1hz as she has a 5speed, but lacking all pedestrian comforts of her cousins. I routinely drive this unit 1000kms at my pace!
Grab as much speed as possible on the downhills to carry me over the opposing grades. Except for steep hills you can easily keep up to normal drivers and even pass Buick drivers.
The 1hz is so reliable, simple to maintain that you should enjoy years of pleasure. Plus if you decide you need more power you have options in the future.

I have two 1HD-Ts in the shop now. Keep in mind that these are crazy expensive to repair and parts are not quick to get.

Back in the flatlands of Michigan, my DD is a '94 FZJ80. In Costa Rica, I live at around 4,000 feet elevation and all the roads are hilly and curvy. How would driving the 1HZ 80 compare with the 1FZ-FE powered version?

I have two 1HD-Ts in the shop now. Keep in mind that these are crazy expensive to repair and parts are not quick to get.
Here in Costa Rica most vehicles that were available with a diesel engine were purchased with the diesel option. I see many more diesel trucks than gassers, except used vehicles imported from the US. Diesel 70 series are plentiful. So I assume parts for the 1HZ would be available but like all imported items, more expensive.

Sold before I had a chance to look at it.

I'd love to get a turbo diesel. Did any of the Central American 80 series trucks come with a turbo diesel from the factory? My experience here in Costa Rica with any upgrades done locally has been terrible so I'm not interested in a truck that has had a turbo added by a local mechanic.

Yes TD 80-series were sold in CR. Awesome ones at that.

However, CR overall has a very slow road speed, only around San Jose is it much above 45mph. Although there are big mountains in the country.

The 1HZ will be fine around town or down at sea level. Climbing the mountains on the roads it will be slow as can be. A turbo will be more desirable but like I say CR is slow road speeds. Do not have the 1HZ turboed, just find the factory turbo 80, they are there in CR.

Look for rust, that should be the main concern. No rust and the price is right, that is a great Cruiser to have in CR especially if in the lowlands.

Most of the CR 80’s will have rear a/c. Something never offered in North America.

Cheers

Gmap says 62 hours from San Jose, CR to Abq, NM. Pfffft, that's a piece of cake, if I don't get killed/maimed on my way :doh:

Realistically, is this a possible way to import a rig from CR to USA? The thought of a LHD 1hd-t or 1hd-ft is quite lovely.

Gmap says 62 hours from San Jose, CR to Abq, NM. Pfffft, that's a piece of cake, if I don't get killed/maimed on my way :doh:

Realistically, is this a possible way to import a rig from CR to USA? The thought of a LHD 1hd-t or 1hd-ft is quite lovely.

You will need the vehicle titled and registered in the drivers/owners name in country of origin to make the trip. You are required to permit the vehicle at each border crossing.

Cheers

No love for the 1HZ here? Not sure why people chase a turbo so much. What I can tell you is that down here in Australia, that exact spec (1HZ with a manual gearbox) is the most sought after config, and command the highest prices when they come up for sale. Reliable as hell, easy to fix, an engine which is still produced and parts readily available, and you get 1000kms on 135 litres of fuel in the stock main+sub tanks. It's what I drive, and down here where the full mix of petrol and diesel models were available, it's shown itself to be the best over time, so I'd take that into consideration. The factory turbo gave you, on paper at least, 122kw vs the 96kw in the 1HZ. Sure, that's a small bump, but don't expect it to totally change the car.

I can see the point @SNLC makes about altitude. I have no experience over about 1500m altitude on mine, but it was fine for me up to there. As you get higher though, you might appreciate the turbo to force more oxygen into the motor. I can't speak to that point, pretty flat here in oz. I personally find the 1HZ it perfectly fine on mountains and steep slopes. Don't plan on sticking massive tyres on though. I run 265/75/r16 tyres, which is the metric equivalent of 31.6" google tells me, on a 2 inch lift. I think that's pretty much the golden setup with this engine, IMO. Above that and you might have trouble on regular roads up hills, always having to drop into 3rd.

Remember with diesel vs petrol though, the 1HZ diesel will be better than the petrol motor in proper off-road terrain every time, because a diesel gets more power at the low end of the RPM range than the petrol models, and with the manual box, I guarantee I could go over rough stuff at low speed easier than any petrol 80. And the diesel isn't nearly as thirsty either, so I'll go much further without refuelling for long tours. As I said, 1000km without refuelling, and I've physically measured that myself in real world driving. If this is a proper part-time transfer case too, you won't waste any power spinning the front prop shaft, diff, and axles, and without the auto trans stealing some power, the amount of hp you get at your wheels is probably closer to the factory petrol models in the US than you'd expect. Sure, they'll probably still be able to beat you in a drag race on the highway, but that's not what I bought my 80 to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom