Looking @ 1997 Collecter Edition LC to Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Fellow LC Owners

Im currently in the market looking to purchase a 1997 LC collector Edition, I found one that has 280k miles outside looks like its in good shape but when i seen underneath the vehicle there is no signs of rust but there are leaks that i saw coming from the front differential and some other spots. The truck dosent has lockers which is a bumper. The asking price is $4400. What would be a fair price to offer the used car lot ?

Thank you

20171018_161157.jpg

20171018_161245.jpg

yup, i would walk in and offer 4K and see if i could grab it. if it was 4400 then so be it. that thing is pretty clean imo assuming it doesnt knock or smoke real bad.

Walk in with $5000 cash in your pocket and offer him 3500. Then work your way up while standing in front of him. Don't walk away without it.

Then again, let me know where it is. I'll take care of it for you......

What really scared me it, had multiple leaks under the carriage. I understand its a 20 year old truck. You guys really think its a good deal what would be the first thing to look for underneath that would concern you as a big problem ?

Thanks all for the advice

Rust. If no rust and it runs and drives, buy it.

Based on the exterior, it was a mall crawler all it's life with a soccer mom somewhere.

It will need a series of leak fixes, but can be driven 25000 miles waiting to get it done. It will just mark its territory everywhere it goes.

If you're planning on paying someone to work on it to fix all the "stuff" then you can expect to add $5000 to your purchase price for what you'll need to put into it. If you're going to do it all yourself, then figure adding $2000 to your purchase price and some time.

I agree with everybody else. Buy it for the best price you can, expecting to put some money and/or elbow grease into some overdue maintenance. Seals and gskets fail over time, but they can be repaired. If you paid $4k and put another $2k into maintenance you'd be in a great position, and it may not cost that much.

Rust. If no rust and it runs and drives, buy it.

Based on the exterior, it was a mall crawler all it's life with a soccer mom somewhere.

It will need a series of leak fixes, but can be driven 25000 miles waiting to get it done. It will just mark its territory everywhere it goes.

If you're planning on paying someone to work on it to fix all the "stuff" then you can expect to add $5000 to your purchase price for what you'll need to put into it. If you're going to do it all yourself, then figure adding $2000 to your purchase price and some time.
Thanks for the great advice.. Greatly appreciate it.

I agree with everybody else. Buy it for the best price you can, expecting to put some money and/or elbow grease into some overdue maintenance. Seals and gskets fail over time, but they can be repaired. If you paid $4k and put another $2k into maintenance you'd be in a great position, and it may not cost that much.

Thanks

But whats really weird that its a collector edition and it dosent come with lockers... How much people really use the factory electric lockers ? Does it really matter

"Collector's Edition" is just a set of badging and different colored seats from the others. It does NOT mean it has every option.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

"Collector's Edition" is just a set of badging and different colored seats from the others. It does NOT mean it has every option.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
Hahaha Thats what i say what was toyota even thinking when they came up with collectors edition

But whats really weird that its a collector edition and it dosent come with lockers... How much people really use the factory electric lockers ? Does it really matter
I could be wrong, but there wasn't a collector edition. There was a 40th Anniversary Edition, but I am guessing someone threw that badge on there after it was manufactured.

Not having lockers is no big deal. The trucks are very capable without them and adding lockers can be done for around $1500-2000 per axle if you have to have them and the parts for the factory lockers are going the way of the dodo.

Lockers were rare. My understanding is that in 1997 about 1 in 20 cruisers came to the US with lockers, regardless of trim package (40th, collector's, lx, base).

How valuable they are depends on your use. Many people will never use them. For those that do get off road into sketchy terrain they're great. Some people install ARB air lockers, and though they are expensive, they are supposed to be great. The factory lockers in my 97 collector's edition can be a bit slow to engage. My understanding is that air lockers are instantaneous.

I could be wrong, but there wasn't a collector edition. There was a 40th Anniversary Edition, but I am guessing someone threw that badge on there after it was manufactured.

Not having lockers is no big deal. The trucks are very capable without them and adding lockers can be done for around $1500-2000 per axle if you have to have them and the parts for the factory lockers are going the way of the dodo.

You're mistaken. There absolutely was a collectors edition in 97. Identical to the 40th, but without two tone seats and a different badge. My 97 collectors edition is white with a tan interior and lockers.

A bit of misinformation in here.

40th, Collectors Edition and LX all had an upgraded climate control system over stock.

40th & collectors both had black chrome badging on front and rear.

LX had a unique stereo and wood trim was plastic (has held up better in most 80s).

40th is the only one with the two tone leather seats.

LX seats were monotone, but without the ribs in the seat covers that all other 80s had.

Lockers available on some examples of every trim, but not all of any. Completely independent.

40th, Collectors Edition and LX all had an upgraded climate control system over stock.

LX had a unique stereo and wood trim was plastic (has held up better in most 80s).

LX seats were monotone, but without the ribs in the seat covers that all other 80s had.

Lockers available on some examples of every trim, but not all of any. Completely independent.
Thanks for the clarification.. If you dont mind how many miles your Land Cruiser had when you purchased ?

With all that, was there a 40th Anniversary LX version or a Collectors Edition LX?

I bought my 97 collectors edition in 2015. It's white over tan with lockers and had about 230k on the odo at that time. It was nearly rust free, but did have two very minor spots to be addressed. No accidents and original paint. It was stock, but with a set of aftermarket wheels installed and the original wheels in boxes. I paid $4600 (figured you'd be curious). Clean examples of these trucks have appreciated in the last couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom