Look what I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can't look what I found if the pictures don't work
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412890857.181137.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412890883.996193.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412890900.196629.jpg

That piston's developing THE POX!

PS. Isn't that a ball-bearing I see embedded in one of the pox holes?

shot peened pistons. Should be nice and strong now.

That's what I decided about mine! :hillbilly:

attachment.php

Still running strong 6 years later but not so many miles later, so :steer: :meh:

Last edited:
For a time when I drag raced my 1966 GTO, I used to place thin brass screening between my carb and my manifold. I was turbocharged so the air resistance was not important (and my competition sucked so a 7-10% loss in flow was acceptable). I was worried about turbo pieces getting into the engine. Occasionally I would find all kinds of crap in there.

I was always surprised the screen caught the pieces vs. tearing.

I feel your pain BUT, at least it is a piston and not a scored cylinder or destroyed head unit from a valve bending and then screwing everything up.

Time to look for piston replacements though, and that will be hard unless you find something else that will fit as TOYO stuff is becoming unobtainium.

Best,

T

For a time when I drag raced my 1966 GTO, I used to place thin brass screening between my carb and my manifold. I was turbocharged so the air resistance was not important (and my competition sucked so a 7-10% loss in flow was acceptable). I was worried about turbo pieces getting into the engine. Occasionally I would find all kinds of crap in there.

I was always surprised the screen caught the pieces vs. tearing.

I feel your pain BUT, at least it is a piston and not a scored cylinder or destroyed head unit from a valve bending and then screwing everything up.

Time to look for piston replacements though, and that will be hard unless you find something else that will fit as TOYO stuff is becoming unobtainium.

Best,

T
The 1966 GTO was my all time favorite. I love that car, especially convertible.

Accelerating: ball heads toward the back of the cylinder. Braking: ball rolls forward.

Nope, my guess; look at the shape of the chamber in the head, those are the only places tight enough to pinch the ball. They are side to side, so it would be turns, not go/stop.

Surprisingly no damage to the head no scoring or anything but I've decided not to rebuild another motor as I've got a rebuilt 2h with only 21th kms so diesel pig

be sure you have the head checked for cracks - while it looks like the piston did all the giving (which is good); you don't want to put it back together and find out there were some micro-cracks
this is what happens when it pings under boost
... I thought my secondaries were too small, what really happened was there was a leak under the blower... whoops, good thing is was a one in a billion made SBC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom