Look at this! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my clogged chevy 305 intake . The engine is 20 years old and was probably never open. I was not able to go at high speed , but the engine was starting and running fine :eek: . I don't know for sure, but it has something like 300,000 to 400,000 km and still going! Anyone ever seen something like this??? Since a lot cruisers runs with chevy engines, I thought you might be interested in this....

:beer:
intakesmall.jpg
intake2small.jpg

That is amazing!!

nice tumor...

looks like a diseased lung for cryin out loud

Seen it several times. Oil with too much paraffin usually Havaline. I'm in Texas where its a lot hotter and thats also a factor.

I had a 350 and ran Arco Graphite oil before it was taken off the market. The Graphite oil would make stalagtites off the crossover in the intake and then break off and clog the holes in the pan under the intake so the cam wouldn't get oil. Ended up wiping a lobe on my cam. Intake looked just like that.

Kevin

what the fxxx is that?

Looks like the Frying pan that my mom had when I was little, that Mexican food was good :grinpimp:

That's what it looks like when you put in too much Slick 50. I spoke with a friend who worked as a Toyota Tech. They had an engine come in for warranty with under 50K miles on it. It had stopped working altogether. They pulled the engine apart to find the entire thing filled with a taffy like substance. The guy figured that the Slick 50 every 50K miles was a good thing, so adding a quart every 3000 mile oil change must be better. Well, he bought the truck new, so he had about 16 or 17 oil changes / quarts of Slick 50 in the engine. The stuff doesn't disappate and internal temps never get hot enough for a chemical bond between the metal and the teflon to occur. Snake Oil. Or in this case, taffy. :doh:

Well, I only have the truck for 4 years, so the damage was surely done by the P.O. (16 years). . In the beginning ,I had problems in the winter. It always started but if I let it warm up, it would die instantly when I put it on drive ( or reverse). If I started the truck, then drive it away, it was o.k. but I had to pump the gaz. It was fine when hot, and never had problem in summer. A friend of mine, who knows chevy like nobody, said he was sure that the intake was clogged. He was damn right :eek:

I use Castrol 20w50 oil in summer and 5w30 in winter. (we got one day at -39c. this winter) Is there paraffin in it?

it's also underneath the heat crossover... so it has both oil mist and hot exhaust passing right there and the oil cokes on the bottom of the intake, a easy fix is to take a thin knife and cut the blade off to block that passage then cut the intake gasket to fit around the blade keeping the underside of the intake cooler, the downside is it'll take longer for the choke to open without the heat under the carb anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom