Longfields (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73lndcrsr

SILVER Star
Threads
I saw a statement that Warn hubs could not be used on Longs. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.

I should clarify.

FJ40 with mintruck disks.

lets clarify a bit first...

<delete this read your 2nd post>
Your sig says 73, which would be a drum front with coarse spline birfs. If that's still installed, Longs will "require" a minitruck disc conversion or a 76+ front disc axle.
</delete>

Longs are identicaly sized to 79+ birfs (cruiser or minitruck) If you have the 76-78 Warn lockouts installed, you don't run the outer clip on the longfield, you instead run a bolt and fender washer...

Instead of using a bolt and washer on the end I put a spot weld on the inside part of the outside end of the splines on the inner axle. :)

I already run the bolt and washer on the end of my current birfs.

[quote author=Tooth Fairy link=board=1;threadid=10506;start=msg94145#msg94145 date=1074809628]
Instead of using a bolt and washer on the end I put a spot weld on the inside part of the outside end of the splines on the inner axle. :)

[/quote]

The bolt/washer or the clip on the birfield is there to keep it from wandering in the brass bushing...if it wanders inwards too far, it can bind the axle, increasing chances of inner axle breakage.

The spot weld you are doing replaces the clip closest to the seal surface on the inner axle, and prevents the inner shaft from sliding too far inside the birf bell and binding in there.

Ya, but I thought that since I had tacks on both ends of the axle shaft it wouldn't let the birf move any further in. w/o the hubs locked in it's not going to be spinning anyway.

I did check my clearances before I installed the spindle and after and I couldn't get it contact the inside of the axle housing at all.

Tell me if somethings wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom