Longfield Issue bad movment - Marine Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
I bought some 27 spline longs off of a fellow mud member.. he packed them with some sort of green marine grease, and the movment is Horrible, i have to pound on them just to get the star to move.. I tryed to disasemble the Long, but i cant get the star to twist enughf to remove the Balls..

is there any way to remove marine grease?? Brake clean is not breaking it down..

It feels like the previous owner filled the longs with a Sand/Grease Combo :mad:

heat it up...

I'm not familiar with marine grease, but it sure doesn't seem like that could be the sole reason they are that stiff...

I wonder if the inside are all galled up or something. Can you clamp the birf in a vice and move the star using the longside inner to move it around?

they are pretty tight directly from bobby..

Hmm ok.. with an inner axle in the star i can pound on it to get the star to move all the way till the bell is hitting the inner axle, but this is not enughf to remove the opposite ball.. Ill Give bobby a call if i get a chance.. Thanks fellas..

Comparing it to my stock birf, i can push with my pinky finger in order to pull out the balls i was a little worried..

so at this point ive got a mixture of marine grease and carb clean.. the only way i can see to clean out the marine grease is to disassemble them!

Get a gallon of MEK (Methy Ethyl Ketone) from Lowe's or another hardware store - that will dissolve any grease known to man. Just be careful to limit exposure to your hands - use ventilation and industrial rubber gloves.

I use it to dissolve old Cosmoline off surplus military weapons - and old cosmoline is much tougher to remove than any grease there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom