Longfeilds install problem on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ran into this.I just installed longfeilds into my 78 fj40 the only issue i have is the axle is not long enough to put clip on. I have the warn hubs but the axle is just about flush with the hub it looks like it needs to come out about 1/4 inch or so to be able to put the cluip on. Any ideas on how to fix this thanks

There are two different fine spline birfields. The 75 through 78 and 79 thru 90. The first generation was a little shorter and the flats
were ground deeper on each side. The was shortened , left more material at the flats ( stronger shell ) and changed the heat treat process.
You can either run without the clip, or switch to Aisin style hubs like those found on 60's or early live axle Toyota 4x4's ( pre-85 ). Prior to 79
the 40 came from the factory full time 4x4 with drive plates rather than locking hubs. Since locking hubs weren't offered on the 40 from Toyota until the birfield change the Aisin hubss were built to take the shorter birfield. Warn, Selectro and other aftermarket hub builders were building hubs for the 40 since it's intro to the USA. They built for the early coarse spline and the taller hub to fit what was offered.
There are tall Aisin hubs floating around. The FJ55 was offered with hubs a year or two before the 40. The 76~78 FJ55 had basically the same disc brake front end as the FJ40 but with locking hubs. The Aisins on that application were taller than those found on the 40,60 and mini trucks

As long as the birf will pull out flush with the hub gear, can run a bolt with a washer large enough to cover part of the hub gear, threaded into the end of the birf. But, the Warn hubs are weak, often broken before stock birf, would be stronger to replace them with Aisin, Cruiser Outfitters carries new ones.

if your running longfields you want to use their chromoly hub gears as well, not sure if they fit warn hubs but I've put some into a set of Asian hubs, I've got an old longfield birf here that the splines stripped when a standard hub gear blew apart and wrecked the birf

longfield.jpg

if your running longfields you want to use their chromoly hub gears as well, not sure if they fit warn hubs but I've put some into a set of Asian hubs, I've got an old longfield birf here that the splines stripped when a standard hub gear blew apart and wrecked the birf

View attachment 1456038
There are two different fine spline birfields. The 75 through 78 and 79 thru 90. The first generation was a little shorter and the flats
were ground deeper on each side. The was shortened , left more material at the flats ( stronger shell ) and changed the heat treat process.
You can either run without the clip, or switch to Aisin style hubs like those found on 60's or early live axle Toyota 4x4's ( pre-85 ). Prior to 79
the 40 came from the factory full time 4x4 with drive plates rather than locking hubs. Since locking hubs weren't offered on the 40 from Toyota until the birfield change the Aisin hubss were built to take the shorter birfield. Warn, Selectro and other aftermarket hub builders were building hubs for the 40 since it's intro to the USA. They built for the early coarse spline and the taller hub to fit what was offered.
There are tall Aisin hubs floating around. The FJ55 was offered with hubs a year or two before the 40. The 76~78 FJ55 had basically the same disc brake front end as the FJ40 but with locking hubs. The Aisins on that application were taller than those found on the 40,60 and mini trucks
I talked to the techs at trail gear today they said I could get the asian hubs off a toyota truck 79-85 and use the cone washers thats what i call them that would give me a stronger hub without adding the stronger gears . the guy told me the asian hubs have stronger gears already. Any thought on that. I have heard of tapping the end and adding a washer and bolt. Im running 37 tires that will need to be replaced soon so Im looking for the strongest set up before going to 60s let me know thanks

There is a reason the original Longfeilds were not warranted if you didnt run their hub gears...
I think it's only about $70 extra for both hub gears. Solid wise investment for $650+dollar shafts.

∆∆∆
Truth. If you don't run a cromo hub gear you will likely destroy you birf when you roll the splines off the factory hub gears. Which is not warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom