longevity of 80's?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I am hunting for a solid 80-series Land Cruiser, but have a few questions. I know Toyota builds great vehicles, but am curious to how many miles a well maintained LC can go (93-94 models).

Also, what are the regular maint. intervals on these trucks. Timing belts?? etc. Thanks ahead of time for the help. Take care.

- Jerry

200K+ easily, up to 300k+ probably pretty normal. Only major concern with the engine is the head gasket, most don't have problems, but a few do.

The FZJ80 has a timing chain which should last the life of the engine, not a timing belt like you are thinking of.

Check the FAQ at the top of the 80's forum, and check the Newbies guide on Slee Off Roads website, in the tech section.

Also, do a "search" here in the 80's section and you will get a good lot of information. This is one of the main advantages of the LC over other vehicles--you'll get some good info.

Cheers.
-onur
Akron, OH

I have personally seen a '94 with 350,000 miles on it and it looked like it could go another 350,000. Of course that was 2 years ago and I know she is still driving it...

TX_TLC said:
I have personally seen a '94 with 350,000 miles on it and it looked like it could go another 350,000. Of course that was 2 years ago and I know she is still driving it...
I hope mine last just as long. It reads 194K at the moment. :)

I believe they are made to go to 250K easy with routine maintenance, enough metal in the motor and block to be rebuilt 3 times, for a total of a million miles

So it sounds like these will hold up pretty well. Toyota's are built like rocks. I have Lexus LS400 with over 210K, doesnt burn a drop of oil and still runs like a top. Thanks for all the good info, take care.

firetruck41 said:
200K+ easily, up to 300k+ probably pretty normal. Only major concern with the engine is the head gasket, most don't have problems, but a few do.

The FZJ80 has a timing chain which should last the life of the engine, not a timing belt like you are thinking of.

Check the FAQ at the top of the 80's forum, and check the Newbies guide on Slee Off Roads website, in the tech section.

A timing chain lasts longer than a timing belt. How much longer I really don't know. It just gets longer as it wears out and begins to make a fair amount of noise that is annoying for some. If I owned a ride with a timing chain, I would consider the noise an alarm. A timing chain can break when it has seen too many miles.

Timing belts are more quiet but are rated to last only 100,000 kms. I look for a convenient date to change mine when I get to 90,000 kms.

Kalawang

I saw a quote here somewhere that was something like "When the first one wears out, we'll know how long they last"

So true

Most vehicles die either from neglect or being wrecked. Few actually "wear out" at extreme mileage in the sense we are talking about.

80's seem to be designed for maintenance and rebuild-ability (well, except for the PHH :) ). You can keep replacing stuff and run one indefinitely.

Maybe the better question for us to ponder is: "How many miles can you run one of these before it becomes a money pit?"

I'd have to think quite a few...this is one of the relatively few vehicles available to the masses worth keeping running for 300k+ miles. I paid $13.7K for mine 32,000 miles ago and figure I have a lot of driving left in her.

There was one on ebay last year when I was looking for one that had 375,000 highway miles on it. Thats the most I have ever seen personally. It was about an hour away and I test drove it just for the hell of it. It had a miss at idle but other than that it ran good. The lady that had it did not have any service records for anything other than brakes, oil changes, and other routine things. No major services or head gasket replacement.

I have a 1991 FJ80 that has 454,000 miles on it. It was converted to a diesel when it had around 200K, (it became an HDJ-80) so the diesel engine has about 275,000 miles, and so does the trans. I just had to rebuild the trans, and only because the seals hardened up, the friction material was still OK, and no hard parts were bad. The trans rebuilder was pretty impressed. Trans was run with amsoil synthetic ATF all it's life.

Rear diff has had bearings replaced, the transfer case got replaced with a part-time case and locking hubs were added when the diesel went in, so the front diff is still original and fine, because unless I'm offroad, it just sits there now.

I had to replace the front spindles because the front wheel bearings hadn't been properly serviced/tightened, they got a bit loose and started to spin on the spindles and chewed them up. Very common 80-problem.

Seats have been replaced by PO. Other than these things, it's pretty much original.

If you maintain these trucks, they will go an amazingly long time.

Dana

6 miles with no oil! :cool:

An 80 with the 1FZ-FE engine (1993+) can go at least that far and not have any noticeable damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom