longe range america replacement tank (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not yet, I know others have passed without issue.

Any one know what smog law is the problem?
I don’t. I know the tank is illegal because it does have a CARB permit, but in this thread someone said you could fail smog due to it. I actually have a 100 series (I’m the one that emailed you a month or so ago about making a tailgate strut mount for the 100) so my smog is done with OBD II, but apparently you can still fail with a visual inspection? Not sure if that’s actually true.

I don’t. I know the tank is illegal because it does have a CARB permit, but in this thread someone said you could fail smog due to it. I actually have a 100 series (I’m the one that emailed you a month or so ago about making a tailgate strut mount for the 100) so my smog is done with OBD II, but apparently you can still fail with a visual inspection? Not sure if that’s actually true.

Of course you can fail a visual inspection. It's happened to me. Although in my case, I think the SMOG shop was just mad that I didn't want to pay $200 in cash for a "pass". I was trying a new to me shop for my first smog with my '96 and they said "oh, old, lots of miles, for $200 cash, we can make sure it passes". I was on my way to the ATM, when I thought, hmm... my '87 van has always passed smog, so I turned around and told them I just wanted a normal smog. It passed all the emissions tests, so to "save face" I think they failed me on the visual, claiming the PCV hoses were old/cracked/leaking. So, I replaced those and went back for the free re-check.

See (numbered) Page 11 (page 13 of the PDF) for the visual inspection requirements:

Now, if your 100 series is a 2000+ you have an even easier SMOG check. I once had a smog shop that didn't even open the hood on a 2001 car, but they should...

Last edited:
Have the 37gal replacement tank that PO installed, great tank no troubles so far. Fuel float on empty is ~10gal left/100mi of range since it wasnt touched. I rarely carry cans at 370-400mi of onboard endurance. Spare is on the rear bumper. With a 6" lift the spare tire area becomes somewhere to sit with it raining.
Doe the replacement tank affect clearance at all? I'm sure with a 6in lift its not an issue. Just wondering if it physically sits lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom