Long time tinkerer - first time 100 owner (LX470) - excited to be here. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - picked up my first J100 yesterday (Lexus LX470) - SO excited. Been a tinkerer for several years now. Previously owned a sweet 1968 F250 and a 1988 Ford Bronco. Jumped to a LC as I'm a family man and just like creature comforts now in my middle age ;) - I'm sick of battling the old Ford defrosters pump out on cold Oregon mornings.

Picked up a 2000 LX470 yesterday - 202K miles, really good shape, 100% west coastie for <$15K (feel good about it). Definately a few things I need to fix but couldn't let the deal go. Amazing news is the previous owned already converted the AHC to the LC suspension (woohoo!) Here's what I immediately noticed I need to tackle first:

1. Rear vent windows don't function - hoping it's just a fuse. Hard to find online which exact fuse they use - so feel free to chime in there if you know.
2. Steering wheel position toggle doesn't function - again hoping it's fuse. Which one?
3. Front passenger door "seal piece" (sorry I don't know what this is called - see pics) is loose - anyone know what it's called and how to fix it
4. Steering wheel is pretty beat up so I'm going to replace that (I can figure that out).
5. Eventually try and upgrade the audio speakers and add apple carplay.
6. Tailgate breaklight - easy

I'm sure there will be more.. but that's all I see for now.

Anyway - super stoked to own one of these - been wanting one since I was a kid. Let's GOOOO!

IMG_7482.jpeg

IMG_7483.jpeg

IMG_7484.jpeg

Nice, congrats & welcome. Paint seems to be in great shape. Any shots of the whole truck? Is it gray or river rock? Hard to tell.

Not sure about fuses, but steering wheel position toggle is a common problem with a motor in the steering column wearing out. They were defaulted from factory to automatically move each time the key was inserted as a luxury feature and that created a constant wear item. It is a pretty simple replacement job, and I have used techstream to disable that feature in mine. YMMV.

#3, the windshield seal. Mine looks the same as yours. I have been driving like that for 20+k miles with no issues. It does not become looser.

Not sure about fuses, but steering wheel position toggle is a common problem with a motor in the steering column wearing out. They were defaulted from factory to automatically move each time the key was inserted as a luxury feature and that created a constant wear item. It is a pretty simple replacement job, and I have used techstream to disable that feature in mine. YMMV.
Thank you Wah00. Appreciate the insight!

2. I think there are 2 motors that need to be replaced - Tilt and Telescoping.

4. You can either replace the entire wheel or rewrap it with leather. Loncky seems to be the one people are using.

5. You can either rebuild or replace the speakers. Lots of inexpensive options out there and easy to do. I paid $300 for 4 replacements from Crutchfield.

2. I think there are 2 motors that need to be replaced - Tilt and Telescoping.

4. You can either replace the entire wheel or rewrap it with leather. Loncky seems to be the one people are using.

5. You can either rebuild or replace the speakers. Lots of inexpensive options out there and easy to do. I paid $300 for 4 replacements from Crutchfield.
Thanks @skymast. Any experience buying a replacement steering wheel from the ones offered on eBay? They look pretty good and replacement process looks fairly simple. Just wondering about the quality of the replacement wheels online. Seems like they are all in the $400 range.

Thanks @skymast. Any experience buying a replacement steering wheel from the ones offered on eBay? They look pretty good and replacement process looks fairly simple. Just wondering about the quality of the replacement wheels online. Seems like they are all in the $400 range.

I’ve purchased two of those Taiwanese wheels. Installing the wheel, is relatively easy. Where it gets irritating and fiddly, is tweaking the fit just so, to keep the plastic cover on the back of the wheel from rubbing the plastic clamshell on the steering column. The wood isn’t a great match, and neither is the leather.

1668358154995.jpeg

1668358320427.png

On both vehicles, we’ve gone back to the Loncky stitch on wheel covers, as they look/feel/function better to us…

1668358582762.png

Color isn’t perfect, but it is much better than the photo suggests. It is a little tedious to stitch on, but less so than fiddling/whittling to get the plastic covers, horn & airbag to fit correctly.

If you do decide to order the Loncky cover, pay close attention to whether it is fulfilled by Amazon, or sent via a slow boat from China.

Last edited:
Hey all - jumping back in here after almost a year with a lot of updates:

/ Sunroof began to leak - so got that replaced.
/ Bought some used vent window motors from ebay for $200. About 2 beers later, vent windows work. Dealer wanted $1000 to fix hahah
/ put about $3k in a kickass sound system with carplay + back up camera.
/ replaced the steering wheel from aftermarket one on ebay. install was simple and looks/performs great.

No for the fun part (no pics yet but coming):

2" suspension lift will be installed week after next
Adding Dissent front and rear bumpers + swing out tire carrier and ladder
Pro Comp 18" Bandido Matte Black Wheels
295 duratracs
Prinsu roof rack.

Will post pics when done - ooooohhh baby it's gonna be sweet.

1st phase pic: roof rack + lift + wheels + tires
Prinsu Low Profile Roof Rack
Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro 2 Suspension Lift
Wrangler Duratracs 295/65/18
Pro Comp Bandido Matte Black Wheels

Will post pics after I install dissent front/rear bumpers + winch

So far so good.

IMG_1149.jpeg

Looks awesome! Did you put the bumpers on and if so, how was the job?

Looks awesome! Did you put the bumpers on and if so, how was the job?
I did. Took about 3 days total. Could go faster with a 2nd set of hands. Fairly straight forward although the instructions weren't the clearest. I haven't wired the rear lights yet and still have to find a place to locate my Warn winch control box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom