Long Time FJ40 Fan, First Time Poster--Question about FJ40 Popularity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like folks who literally have no idea what it is are just “amazed” by it. After I completed my frame on Resto in 2017 and the urging of my neighbor, I put it in the Stoneridge Golf Club car show. One of the cars there was a new Shelby GT350 that was just gorgeous. His wife kept coming over to check out the 40 telling her husband over and over “this looks like way more fun “and how cool she thought it was. Was kind of embarrassing. Almost always stopped to chat about it at gas stations. Funny that way more expensive cars don’t always get the most attention🙄

I think FJ40’s are just more...approachable. Anymore a shiny candy apple red muscle car or some ultra rare high end roadster just screams “old rich guy” or “midlife crisis” to a lot of people. Someone who will tell you “look but don’t touch.” Or freak out about the paint as he’s backing it onto the trailer with his car show trophy in hand so he can put it back in his climate controlled garage. (Sorry for anyone here who has said muscle car).

FJ40’s just look down to earth. Even in mint condition the spot welds are visible and they look utilitarian. They look like something that someone without a ton of money could own someday - “cheap fun.” I think people assume the owner of a rugged, old school off-roader will be more laid back as well. In general I’ve found this to be true - but in reality it’s a misrepresentation given the amount of money these trucks were pulling down at auctions in recent years - they’re worth more than a lot of those muscle cars!

70e471251e3dc17a52d6abdf77a21dbe.jpg

People walk up to me and start talking about the 40 or some.
Sometimes they start telling me that there is guy on the island that has a lot of them,
"ok that's interesting, do you know him?", "no but I've heard of it"
Sometimes I let it go, sometimes I am willing to confirm them that that crazy one is me

Last edited:
I’ve had multiple offers to buy it back when I was doing my resto. Now that I’ve been daily driving it, I have been getting a lot of waves from Toyota and Jeep owners alike. I think it’s the second one in my town so I don’t think many people know exactly what they’re looking at. I was working on it in my driveway the other day and the cute neighbor girl said she really liked my Jeep. I said “thanks, but it’s a Toyota.” She was embarrassed and said it shows how little she knows about cars.

E1DB5E02-CC15-45F7-A8A0-38885C695A7B.jpeg

They are a conversation piece and the stories range. A guy recently told me his brother years ago drove a FJ-40 from some ski resort in Colorado back to California with a broke leg ! My '77 below.

40.jpg

I unfortunately only have 3 road miles driven on my so far, but just in that one loop around the neighborhood I got a cheer from some guy walking with his wife. But even just trailering it home my buddy and I got multiple waves and honks. We stopped for food and an old timer came in and started asking about it and saying how cool it was. I can't wait until it is running again and have it back on the road.

Let's face it, guys: We're pretty cool.

;)
Actually, we’re mostly bunch of dorks who happen to be fortunate enough to drive vehicles that bring folks closer together than most out there. They just seem to put a smile on peoples faces. Having kids in the jump seats seems to add to this factor.

was stopped at a red light, one car back from and to one side of a current "Landcruiser" when I heard a cconversation from the car behind me...
she, "what kind of car is that? (pointing at my topless, doorless '74)"
he, "that's a Landcruiser"
she, "no, that's the Landcruiser (pointing to the 'new' one ahead of me)
he, " no, that's the REAL Landcruiser! (pointing at my '74)

I drove the '40 to our local museum looking for a venue for my son's wedding. The very attractive curator saw me drive up and commented on my Land Cruiser.
she gave us a great deal on the wedding, but said I must drive the cruiser to the wedding and have it a center piece for the pictures. She asked if it would be okay for her to use some of the the pics. to promote the museum. I thought that was pretty cool.
IMG_0943.JPG

I unfortunately only have 3 road miles driven on my so far, but just in that one loop around the neighborhood I got a cheer from some guy walking with his wife. But even just trailering it home my buddy and I got multiple waves and honks. We stopped for food and an old timer came in and started asking about it and saying how cool it was. I can't wait until it is running again and have it back on the road.
Hey bud, where in Beaverton are you? I'm on the Rock Creek golf course, I have a 73 and my buddy around the corner has a 74. I have a few more up in Vernonia. What does your rig need to get going? -Matt

Hey bud, where in Beaverton are you? I'm on the Rock Creek golf course, I have a 73 and my buddy around the corner has a 74. I have a few more up in Vernonia. What does your rig need to get going? -Matt

I’m in the area of 170th/Farmington.
Sadly have a long ways to go. Waiting for my power steering components to come in, not sure what the holdup is. Also waiting for my sway bar. Need new brake lines. Also need to get the vintage air unit installed. After that, off to the shop to get the 4bt/nv4500 put in. I have or already paid for everything except the 4bt and the brake lines, so I just need to put the time in.

I get lots of nod, waves & questions all the time, but had an unusual one last week.

Had the 40 loaded on my trailer headed for the Rubicon and stopped at a gas station. I went in the minimart to use RR and noticed a guy eyeballing the setup.When I came out, he says “Sorry to bother you but I couldn’t help to notice you’re towing an old Land Cruiser with a new Land Cruiser.” This surprises me as most people don’t know that the Lexus GX460 (tow veh) is a Land Cruiser Prado 150 in most other countries, so I had to ask him where he was from. He was from Costa Rica and had owned both! He did say he loved his 40 more, but had to leave them when he came to US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom