Long Term Storage Preperations. What should I do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My old Datsun wagon, sat in my grandmother's garage for over 4 years. We drained the gas , unhooked the battery and put it up on blocks. Started right up after put some oil down the plugs and got a new battery.

I actually just bought a 94 FZJ80 that was parked in a grass field in the wet part of Oregon in 2016. It had no prep for storage. Tank full of ethanol gas.

I changed out the battery for a new one. Fluids looked good. Put the key in the ignition. It fired up instantly and I drove it home.

The alternator isn't charging and hopefully the power is just down because the gas is 4 years past expired and not because the 1FZ is actually this gutless.

I actually just bought a 94 FZJ80 that was parked in a grass field in the wet part of Oregon in 2016. It had no prep for storage. Tank full of ethanol gas.

I changed out the battery for a new one. Fluids looked good. Put the key in the ignition. It fired up instantly and I drove it home.

The alternator isn't charging and hopefully the power is just down because the gas is 4 years past expired and not because the 1FZ is actually this gutless.
Plenty of real-world examples of improper storage and subsequent use/disuse out there.

If Dad is offering, have him drive it a few times and get it up to temperature. Seals do dry out if they don't have lubrication hit them - Not sure I'd believe the notes above saying "It'll be just fine". While you're not going to ruin the truck leaving it for 8 months, you may significantly reduce the lifespan of some of the components from sitting.

From experience I had a Ram with a Cummins that I didn't drive for a little over a year. Parked with zero problems, kept under cover (but outside) and came back to a truck with electrical issues (connectors to the transmission oxidized and caused intermittent issues) and tore a rear main seal about 1,500 miles after starting to drive it again.

Maybe a complete coincidence, but why chance it when you have Dad?

From experience I had a Ram with a Cummins that I didn't drive for a little over a year. Parked with zero problems, kept under cover (but outside) and came back to a truck with electrical issues (connectors to the transmission oxidized and caused intermittent issues) and tore a rear main seal about 1,500 miles after starting to drive it again.

This is just a Chrysler thing, wouldn't have happened with a Toyota. Haha, JK

This is my routine. First I dump a bottle of ISOHEET Isopropyl alcohol (Red bottle) into the tank then use up that Ethanol blend gas until the tank is almost completely empty (ie: four gallons worth of driving after the orange low gas light comes on).

Then I refill (about one half a tank or so) with 100% gasoline and add a double dose of STABIL gasoline addtive, then drive it a bit (at least 15-20 miles) to get that gas/additive up into the fuel system and injectors.

If the engine oil is very old (6-12 months) I'll change the oil and filter using
synthetic oil.

After the vehicle is parked I disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery. Or you could attach a smart battery tender to keep the battery topped off. (note: if the battery is disconnected a very long time (a year maybe) that might cause the SRS (airbag) light to come on (IME) which would need to be reset once the vehicle is taken out of storage.

Before restarting the engine after storage I disconnect the high tension lead coming from the coil to the distributor and crank the engine 5 seconds at a time until I see the oil pressure needle start to move. Then reconnect the high tension lead to the coil and start the engine.

If you leave full insurance on the vehicle then as others have said it might be better to have someone drive it weekly while putting fresh gasoline into the tank now and then. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom