Long term diesel dreaming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
I just got back from 2 weeks in Belize and drove a turbodiesel Isuzu TrooperII the whole time there. That was a very nice rig for a non-Toyota. I got consistantly over 30 mpg!! Now I'm sold, and thinking that my FJ60 will go diesel at some point when the motor (200K miles) finally wears out. Dieselbigot (local diesel dude) thinks he knows a way to get a diesel conversion through the California DMV. My Fj60 has a brand new H55f which I would like to keep, which I guess means I need a 6 cylinder diesel as opposed to a 4 cylinder so that the tranny input shaft matches up.

So my question is, Which diesel? I don't mind waiting for the right option to become available, but I don't know the difference between the HJ, HZJ, HDT etc. So school me a bit-what motor should I be looking for-I value simple and adequate, more than complex and powerful. 70 mph is enough. The simplest and most robust 6 cyl. turbodiesel would be my choice. Parts availability would also be a major bonus. Thanks!

Andrew:

I've got an H55f mated to a 13BT (4 cylinder) in my rig, but it came as a complete package and I'm not sure if the input shaft is different. If you're looking for economy you won't be able to beat the 13BT IMHO. Good luck.

I think the easiest choice would be the 12HT. It'll bolt up to your tranny.

A 1HZ or 1HDt will be a bit more work since niether came factory in a 60 but nothing unsurmountable. Changing the input shaft is not a biggy and a lot of guys are running 13BTs in 60s now with good results.

Cummins 4BT is doable too and to a lesser extent so is the 6BT.

Check out the intl section. There are a number of FJ60s getting dieseled these days.

agreed, as far a factory TDI's go:

- the 12h-t will be the easiest, you could even buy genuine toyota weld in engine brackets for mounting it and it will bolt right up to you your h55f.

- For fuel economy the 13b-t 4cyl will probably be the best.

there is always the option for a aftermarket turbo'd 2H or 3B as well.

For the record. My 2H engine give to me about 30km/gal pretty fine, and tough .. ! but if you can find the 12H-T engine .. you must gona be happy .. !

OK very cool-so I need a 12H-T. Was that ever stock on a North American Land Cruiser? I really do not understand the nomenclature. Is a 12H-T a turbo H motor?

Yes, that is a turboed 2H engine. 6 cylinders, 4000ccm. Not supplied to the Northern american market, only the non turbo 2H was.
A good source for information on engines and availability is G&S cruisers (http://www.gscruiserparts.com/)

The H55F tranny that you have should bolt up to the following motors (correct input shaft):

2H
12H-T
1HZ

Now about the diesel engines:

2H - is the lowest in power just slightly more HP than 3B (about 5 to 10 hp more) is around 105hp

12H-T is a tubo'd 2H however only puts out slightly more than 13B-T (3.4L 4banger turbo diesel) I think around 15hp more so it is around 135hp

Both the 2H and the 12H-T are 6 cylinder pushrod Diesel engines and are the 6 cylinder version of the 4 cylinder diesels like 3B and 13B-T

Now the 1HZ is an SOHC 6 cylinder non turbo diesel and puts out around 135hp, however with turbo and or PI it can easily put out over 170hp.

If you have the money go with 1HZ, but also keep in mind that any of the Toyota "H" diesels will cost big $$ because they are used all over the globe and there is always a market for them.

You can do it yourself, or have it done in Calgary or San Diego, and I am sure there are a few other shops that will do it for you in California, and I think Vancouver is an options as well.

Disclaimer: the power ratings varry depending on what country and what the engines came in, the pictures are 2H, 12H-T, 1HZ

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael
2h.jpg
12h-T.jpg
1HZ.jpg

Belize

How was Belize? Any precautions? Where did you rent your car? I am going there in October for my honeymoon. Any Reccomendations?
Carl

andy,

I've given this idea of a swap way too much thought :) . for me, in a 60, it's either the 12HT or a 1HZ w/ a turbo. I'd go either way, the deal on the engine would be the deciding factor.

From a cost perspective, the 12HT makes the most sense because it is already turbo'd and has DI. I've driven a couple of 12HT 60 wagons and liked what I felt.

as michael mentioned, the 1HZ with a turbo is nice also, but I think in the end will be way more $$. (The other thing I'm not crazy about the HZ is IDI and a timing belt to wear out).

If you talk to Wayne Smith or G&S I think you'll find that a nice 12HT will be about the same $$ as a 1HZ (but then you need a turbo).

Either way, I hope to be doing this swap right along side you...I just need to find a cherry 62 or 80 with a blown motor for cheap and so far that hasent happened

Thanks guys-it sounds like a 12H-T is the simple/adequate solution I need. SOR wants in the neighborhood of $7k for one-I would like to find one for a bit less. G&S is sold out of 12H-Ts, which is probably a good thing, as I'm pretty fired up about this whole thing right this minute. My 2F is still providing excellent service, though, but when it goes, I'm done with gasoline.

tlcruiserman said:
The H55F tranny that you have should bolt up to the following motors (correct input shaft):

2H
12H-T
1HZ

You can do it yourself, or have it done in Calgary or San Diego, and I am sure there are a few other shops that will do it for you in California, and I think Vancouver is an options as well.

Michael

Nixay on the 1HZ. That shaft is all it's own.

Yes, there are two people in the Vancouver area I would trust with an install like this, in addition to who you mention.

hth's

gb

Hi everybody!

At least over here the 13BT was always mated to the H55F in BJ71, and 3B to the same H55F in BJ73 and 75, the 70 has had VM motors in Italy, but was never imported on this side of the border (we only have the BJ71 and LJ70 in short body 7 series) For fuel economy, the 12HT has an exelent reputation, with my old one (260000km from 86, i tend to do 12L/100KM) Still pretty expensive at 1.36$ per liter or 5.15$ per gallon!

10Aug2005 (UTC +8)

Hiya Andy! If I can find one here in the Philippines, delivered there in CA for US$5,000, will you be interested? I think I got a good lead here somewhere, and I'll make sure it's got great compression and runs great.... No promises though.

drexx said:
10Aug2005 (UTC +8)

Hiya Andy! If I can find one here in the Philippines, delivered there in CA for US$5,000, will you be interested? I think I got a good lead here somewhere, and I'll make sure it's got great compression and runs great.... No promises though.

12H-T

Greg_B said:
Nixay on the 1HZ. That shaft is all it's own.

Yes, there are two people in the Vancouver area I would trust with an install like this, in addition to who you mention.

hth's

gb

Greg, thanks for the feedback, now that I think about it, I thought you needed to changed the bellhousing to that of one from a 75 series, is that the case, or definently different input shaft?

Thanks,

Michael

Cruiserdrew said:
..... My 2F is still providing excellent service, though, but when it goes, I'm done with gasoline.

I bet your 2F lasts longer than the world's fossil fuel reserves... Well, maybe not, but as somebody who had an unrebuilt 2F with 250k in his previous cruiser, I just have to say it will probably be a while. You might consider keeping your eyes open for a good deal on a diesel engine, when it comes, grab it, then sell your good running 2F--I think they go for $400-500 even with that many miles. That would also minimize down-time for your cruiser.

BTW as others said there's lots of posts to check on this--if I can add one thing that hasn't been said, consider getting a "half-cut" from G&S so you will have all the electronics etc. Dunno if you can get a half-cut minus the tranny or not, but remember that you are going to need more than just an engine. Don't forget, for example, a water separator.

In any case I'm with ya on getting out of the gasoline game. Of course, diesel #2 has broken $3/gal. here in NorNorCali (Humboldt), which makes biodiesel look even better...

Sounds like a cool project. Keep us posted.

:cheers:
B

drexx said:

if you have chirstmas spyrit indide you from now on, you can send to me exhaust manifold, turbo and all pipes .. and well if you have a big spirit .. the head . ? :D

Anda di que siii .. !

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom