long slip drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished the SOA and SR on my '40. I have read alot of post where guys have used 16 spline tractor shafts and made there own front drive drive shaft. Does any body know of a source for these? I know they are hard to ballence but who cares on the front. I can't spend 350+ for a new shaft.

Any help would be great.

l8tr

Where do you live?

Do you have a Tractor Supply around you?

How about a Farm and Fleet?

Both would have this piece...

Good luck!

-Steve

Colorado Springs, CO. There are some ranch supply shops out east. Do you know of anyone who has built a front DS like this? Thanks Poser

I do not know anyone who has used tractor pto shafts for driveshafts.

I have made mine, and spares, out of spicer components, and is very spendy, as you stated.

I don't see where you would need to spend 350.00 on shafts. You should be able to get the driveshafts retubed for less than that. 350.00 on a pair of driveline is pretty cheap compared to some custom shafts.

[quote author=fj40charles link=board=12;threadid=9430;start=msg82332#msg82332 date=1072841667]
I don't see where you would need to spend 350.00 on shafts. You should be able to get the driveshafts retubed for less than that. 350.00 on a pair of driveline is pretty cheap compared to some custom shafts.
[/quote]

A Spring over(SO) and shackle reversal(SR) can be problematic to driveshaft slip and stub engagement, because of the increased travel associated with these modifications, and the stock length of the Toyota slip and stub combination. Many people have found that not modifying this after doing major suspension modifications that the first time they take their truck out and flex it up, the front driveshaft will pull apart, even after having it re-tubed for the assumed proper length.

-Steve

I can't just retube the front shaft. With the shackle reversal and SOA the front drops out to far and the compression would shove the DS into the t-case. Hence the need to a long spline shaft.

OK Poser, exactly what I was looking for. How much do you have into it and where did you get the male and female shafts?

Way, way, way too much.

You would be able to get exactly the same thing from Gleco in AZ or any of the driveshaft people, Tom Woods, or ?, and have it shipped to you, ready to bolt in, and not have the time and money into the parts needed for fabbing the thing yourself.

-Steve

Thanks anyway Poser, I think I am going to try to find a long spline PTO shaft from a tractor. I have read (of course they didn't mention the source) where they were able to get like 20 feet of 16 spline male and female shaft. They did mention it was almost impossible to ballence but like I said, it is primarily a trail rig and with the front disengaged and in 2 wd the front shaft doesn't turn.

Hey MUDMONSTER44, If you could get any part numbers or anything. We might be able to split the cost if there is a min purhcase. just food for thought.

hate to say it, but I don't consider 8" to be long...my shaft will USE 7" of stroke, and has over 11" available. Given the situation where it's fully extended, only 1" of spline isn't enough...

Amen Brian.

$189 isn't bad but I was hoping to get more than 8" out of it. I wonder if they can give me a custom length?

We had a guy not take my advice on getting a long slip shaft before we went to the Black Hills this summer.

It was 106* in the shade and he had to fix his separated front shaft 4 or 5 times in a day to make it through 1/2 of Hal Johns.

Don't screw around with this. If you cannot afford a good long slip shaft, make one out of square tube.

There were a few instances of this out in the Hills this year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom