LONG RANGE TANKS FROM CRUISER BROTHERS & LRA

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
What the price on the sub tank replacement? Model number TLC100RRE?

I have the factory sub tank on the 105 and would like to swap that one out, that’s why I’ll need the tire carrier;)

Appreciate the help.
I knew you wanted the sub tank replacement, but I posted the wrong picture :(

See here and below - price is $1,595 plus shipping from California. 39.6 gallons.

Shoot me an email at sales@longrangeamerica.com for a price on the combo.

Toyota Landcruiser HZJ105 150L Replacement

1564194490518.png

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Apologies, forgot it is a gasser. You are correct, same tank, different install kit. Same price. Will get you the correct kit.

Thanks for your patience.

Ward

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

I want to do some measuring in the morning. Trying to decide between the 24 or 42 gal aux tanks for the 80 series. There is no doubt that the 42 gal is tempting and having that quantity of fuel on board gives some advantages I think we all know. I've owned a few rigs with dual tanks, so am familiar with running them. What concerns me 1st is off road exposure depending, of course on clearance. But also the dynamics of managing the tanks 24x7x365. Being that it's not my DD, it will see some "down time". Where I live, we have very wide temp changes from high to low day temps and also 4 seasons. It's best to keep the tank(s) filled at least 1/2 to avoid condensation problems. 42 gal is a lot of fuel to leave setting around, not to mention the cost to fill tank. The OEM tank is just above 25 gal, so the 24 aux would just about double my range and practically eliminate having to deal with jerry cans. The tanks are the same price, so initial cost is not a factor. Whatever fuel you put in your rig, you'll eventually use so there's nothing wasted by having the large tank. Anyone have the experience of installing both sizes - is the 42 gal more difficult to install? Or any other disadvantage, for that matter. Opinions, experience & advice are welcome and good content to kick around here, IMHO.

Anyone have the experience of installing both sizes - is the 42 gal more difficult to install? Or any other disadvantage, for that matter. Opinions, experience & advice are welcome and good content to kick around here, IMHO.
Curious as well. I'm in a similar situation in determining which size to order.

So... Just left the shop getting the 40gal tank installed and stopped to fill up.

Filled up the aux tank and got the factory tank to about half so I could test the system out.

The aux tank gauge still has a single red light and nothing happens when I push the button other than the little button light coming on.

Obviously I'll call the shop in the am but any ideas? Please tell me I'm just missing something and this can be fixed without driving 3 hours back to the installer.

Thanks guys!

Edit... The little red light flashes when I push the button but no sound of the pump or anything.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

So... Just left the shop getting the 40gal tank installed and stopped to fill up.

Filled up the aux tank and got the factory tank to about half so I could test the system out.

The aux tank gauge still has a single red light and nothing happens when I push the button other than the little button light coming on.

Obviously I'll call the shop in the am but any ideas? Please tell me I'm just missing something and this can be fixed without driving 3 hours back to the installer.

Thanks guys!

Edit... The little red light flashes when I push the button but no sound of the pump or anything.
I just finished installing the 24 gallon. I noticed that the aux gauge is quite slow registering any fuel added. It took 10 - 15 minutes before the red led changed to any green lights and then extremely slow coming up to full. The yellow light should be on when pumping fuel and you can open the gas cap and hear the process. I would suggest that you open your gas cap and see if you can hear fuel being pumped. Give it some more time to see if gauge and sending unit catches up.

I just finished installing the 24 gallon. I noticed that the aux gauge is quite slow registering any fuel added. It took 10 - 15 minutes before the red led changed to any green lights and then extremely slow coming up to full. The yellow light should be on when pumping fuel and you can open the gas cap and hear the process. I would suggest that you open your gas cap and see if you can hear fuel being pumped. Give it some more time to see if gauge and sending unit catches up.
30min of driving after filling up... Still just one red light. The installer took it and put 10 gallons in it and tested it right before I left and said it worked great, that's why I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong but I'm beginning to wonder.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

Curious as well. I'm in a similar situation in determining which size to order.
If you play in the rocks, I'd get the 24 gallon. After installing mine, you have to get down on a knee and look under my Kaymar bumper to even see the tank. Pretty much out of harms way - however I'm sure if one was really trying, they could poke a hole in it.:hillbilly:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

30min of driving after filling up... Still just one red light. The installer took it and put 10 gallons in it and tested it right before I left and said it worked great, that's why I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong but I'm beginning to wonder.
There's really not much to screw up on the install. The supplied schematic leaves no doubt how to connect the components. If you can't hear the "toka, toka, toka" of the fuel pump, that's one problem. The aux gauge/meter should have registered by now. You can't be doing anything wrong by pushing the button. If the main tank is full, it automatically shuts off the pump after 2 minutes. I'd suspect the qualifications of your installer, especially if he claims he tested it. Maybe he just thinks it works because the red led comes on. Did you see him test it? He should have demonstrated it for you and shown you the results and what to look and listen for as it works. The pump and switch/meter instructions are also very clear to how they operate. I think that's why Ward has recommended installers - they have experience and stand by their work.

There's really not much to screw up on the install. The supplied schematic leaves no doubt how to connect the components. If you can't hear the "toka, toka, toka" of the fuel pump, that's one problem. The aux gauge/meter should have registered by now. You can't be doing anything wrong by pushing the button. If the main tank is full, it automatically shuts off the pump after 2 minutes. I'd suspect the qualifications of your installer, especially if he claims he tested it. Maybe he just thinks it works because the red led comes on. Did you see him test it? He should have demonstrated it for you and shown you the results and what to look and listen for as it works. The pump and switch/meter instructions are also very clear to how they operate. I think that's why Ward has recommended installers - they have experience and stand by their work.
The installer called LRA and they believe it's either a bad switch or a bad sending unit. Of course my luck to get a bad unit from the get go... especially since the installer is 3 hours away.

Note to installers... It's a good idea to put a half a tank in the aux tank after installation and check the pump before letting the customer leave with it. This installer only put a few gallons in so the issue wasn't obvious.

Anyway, hopefully this will be an easy fix and it'll work fine. Sorry to hijack the thread.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

So... Just left the shop getting the 40gal tank installed and stopped to fill up..............
The installer called LRA and they believe it's either a bad switch or a bad sending unit. Of course my luck to get a bad unit from the get go... especially since the installer is 3 hours away.

Note to installers... It's a good idea to put a half a tank in the aux tank after installation and check the pump before letting the customer leave with it. This installer only put a few gallons in so the issue wasn't obvious.

Anyway, hopefully this will be an easy fix and it'll work fine. Sorry to hijack the thread.
I doubt if it's the sending unit, although it could be bad, too. From the symptoms, I'd suspect the switch/gauge module. You should hear the pump, no matter what the gauge is reading, when you depress the switch, if the wiring is correct.

I doubt if it's the sending unit, although it could be bad, too. From the symptoms, I'd suspect the switch/gauge module. You should hear the pump, no matter what the gauge is reading, when you depress the switch, if the wiring is correct.
I'm only saying the sending unit or switch because that's what the installer was told when they called LRA. The pump works, the issue is that the switch doesn't know there is gas in the tank so the pump only goes for a couple minutes and then beeps twice and shuts off. No matter how much gas is in the tank the switch always reads one red light (best empty). If I push the button again then it was pump gas again for a couple mins then beep twice and shut off.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

I'm only saying the sending unit or switch because that's what the installer was told when they called LRA. The pump works, the issue is that the switch doesn't know there is gas in the tank so the pump only goes for a couple minutes and then beeps twice and shuts off. No matter how much gas is in the tank the switch always reads one red light (best empty). If I push the button again then it was pump gas again for a couple mins then beep twice and shut off.
Ok, with what you just posted, from what I was told how it works, I'm with you now. Pump and circuitry are working. Last I saw was "Edit... The little red light flashes when I push the button but no sound of the pump or anything. " which looked like pump was not coming on. Good luck and I hope one more time at installer is all that you need to get it fixed.

Ok, with what you just posted, from what I was told how it works, I'm with you now. Pump and circuitry is working. Last I saw was "Edit... The little red light flashes when I push the button but no sound of the pump or anything. " which looked like pump was not coming on. Good luck and I hope one more time at installer is all that you need to get it fixed.
Thanks man.

At first I didn't think the pump was working because everyone says you'll definitely hear the pump. But when I push the button and open the gas cap I can literally see the gas being pumped and hear the liquid flowing into the factory tank. The gas gauge on the factory tank also goes up... But I thought the DRE calculation would continue to work but it doesn't. Does it usually works after the install? Seems like it should tho since the factory tank is filling up.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

@Just a Ninja - I'm pretty sure the timer is there to protect the pump. Trying to pump an empty tank is bad/hard on an electric fuel pump. But, you also need to know how much fuel is in tank, so it would suck to leave it like that. (Pun not intended)

@Just a Ninja - I'm pretty sure the timer is there to protect the pump. Trying to pump an empty tank is bad/hard on an electric fuel pump. But, you also need to know how much fuel is in tank, so it would suck to leave it like that. (Pun not intended)
Yeah it just depends on which piece of hardware is responsible for telling the switch how much gas is left...I would suspect that is the part that's broken.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
SILVER Star

Yeah it just depends on which piece of hardware is responsible for telling the switch how much gas is left...I would suspect that is the part that's broken.
It could be that the sending unit is hung up. It's a float inside tank and if it gets jammed - wherever it's stuck - that's what it continually tells the gauge. You might try a seriously bumpy road or going diagnally over speed bumps to get that fuel in aux tank sloshing around. It might free it up - if that's what it is. Don't overdo it and damage something. Just give it a workout, so to speak.

It could be that the sending unit is hung up. It's a float inside tank and if it gets jammed - wherever it's stuck - that's what it's continually tells the gauge. You might try a seriously bumpy road or going diagnally over speed bumps to get that fuel in aux tank sloshing around. It might free it up - if that's what it is. Don't overdo it and damage something. Just give it a workout, so to speak.
Ok cool, thanks for the idea. I've got plenty of angled, bumpy places around so I'll give it a shot.

Top Bottom