LONG RANGE TANKS FROM CRUISER BROTHERS & LRA

few pics from install. I'll give the tank a good test later this week as I plan to drive the FJ62 from Phoenix to Vegas and back, so about 550 miles roundtrip. Some things we noticed:

It was a chore getting the OEM tank out, between the OME suspension and the non-OEM exhaust system that's on the truck.

The LRA instructions were great in terms of lengthening the bracket for the fuel pump to get it to the bottom of the tank. That worked well.

However, my kit was missing the 145mm rod used to lengthen the fuel level sender arm. Just got some 1/8" rod from Home Depot that worked just fine. Early indications are that the fuel level reading at the gauge cluster is right on, at least for the lower portion of the tank (which of course is the most important). I'll know more when I fill it up. But for now, having lengthened the fuel level sender arm to the precise measurement in the instructions, the first five gallons in the tank took the fuel gauge from dead empty to the top edge of the Empty line. Next five gallons took the fuel gauge to dead on the Quarter tank mark. So far so good.

The tank was fairly easy to fit in the space with the help of a transmission jack and a lift. The rear holes to bolt to brackets have ovals so that you have a little play, while the front ones do not have ovals and require a much more precise fit. a pry bar to move the tank into exactly the right position did the trick.

Fit and finish of the tank is top notch, I'll say that. The mechanic commented that the fuel line provided looked like aircraft grade to him. No clamps or hoses or small parts were missing other than the aforementioned length of rod.

My big fear was clearance. The tank of course requires relocation of the spare tire and the spare tire carrier. With the install finished and the tank bolted in place, my clearance is about 5 inches higher than it was with the OEM fuel tank and the spare in the OEM location. I'll drag my aftermarket tow package long before the tank. I also have a Kaymar bumper in mind for this truck if I can ever find one, which will of course replace the stock bumper and the tow package, as it has an integral hitch sleeve receiver.

Hope this helps folks who are thinking of getting one of these. I'll share more on range after my trip.

I1.jpg

I2.jpg

I3.jpg

I4.jpg

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
few pics from install. I'll give the tank a good test later this week as I plan to drive the FJ62 from Phoenix to Vegas and back, so about 550 miles roundtrip. Some things we noticed:

It was a chore getting the OEM tank out, between the OME suspension and the non-OEM exhaust system that's on the truck.

The LRA instructions were great in terms of lengthening the bracket for the fuel pump to get it to the bottom of the tank. That worked well.

However, my kit was missing the 145mm rod used to lengthen the fuel level sender arm. Just got some 1/8" rod from Home Depot that worked just fine. Early indications are that the fuel level reading at the gauge cluster is right on, at least for the lower portion of the tank (which of course is the most important). I'll know more when I fill it up. But for now, having lengthened the fuel level sender arm to the precise measurement in the instructions, the first five gallons in the tank took the fuel gauge from dead empty to the top edge of the Empty line. Next five gallons took the fuel gauge to dead on the Quarter tank mark. So far so good.

The tank was fairly easy to fit in the space with the help of a transmission jack and a lift. The rear holes to bolt to brackets have ovals so that you have a little play, while the front ones do not have ovals and require a much more precise fit. a pry bar to move the tank into exactly the right position did the trick.

Fit and finish of the tank is top notch, I'll say that. The mechanic commented that the fuel line provided looked like aircraft grade to him. No clamps or hoses or small parts were missing other than the aforementioned length of rod.

My big fear was clearance. The tank of course requires relocation of the spare tire and the spare tire carrier. With the install finished and the tank bolted in place, my clearance is about 5 inches higher than it was with the OEM fuel tank and the spare in the OEM location. I'll drag my aftermarket tow package long before the tank. I also have a Kaymar bumper in mind for this truck if I can ever find one, which will of course replace the stock bumper and the tow package, as it has an integral hitch sleeve receiver.

Hope this helps folks who are thinking of getting one of these. I'll share more on range after my trip.

Thanks for the report, Todd, and apologies for the missing rod stock. Very nice photos/coverage :bounce::bounce2:

We are working on updated instructions with photos and your contribution will help.

As for the Kaymar, we are working on it.......

Finally, we are having a
pre-Thanksgiving OKTOBERFEST GROUP BUY on fuel tanks, Harrop elockers and Terrain Tamer HP brakes. Stay tuned for more details, but all tanks will be $200 off - on all models. If you want an update when it hits, register your interest at Request a Quote - and visit this link for a listing of available tanks/kits. Please call me with questions if interested....209-636-0831 (Ward Harris). You can call Georg Esterer / @orangefj45 as well, but he is at the Southern Cruiser Crawl later this week, so kind of hard to track down.

Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tanks

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
It is official - we are now Kaymar dealer - with three sales under our belts. If you want a rear bar for your Toyota, please advise. We will order for customers and ship along with our tanks and other goodies. The big drag on these have been variable support in USA and high cost to ship as solo item. Our pricing is FOB California, so a cleaner deal all around.... High quality, good departure angle, lots of options.

upload_2018-10-14_11-52-36.png
upload_2018-10-14_11-55-10.png

Thanks for the report, Todd, and apologies for the missing rod stock. Very nice photos/coverage :bounce::bounce2:

We are working on updated instructions with photos and your contribution will help.

As for the Kaymar, we are working on it.......

Finally, we are having a
pre-Thanksgiving OKTOBERFEST GROUP BUY on fuel tanks, Harrop elockers and Terrain Tamer HP brakes. Stay tuned for more details, but all tanks will be $200 off - on all models. If you want an update when it hits, register your interest at Request a Quote - and visit this link for a listing of available tanks/kits. Please call me with questions if interested....209-636-0831 (Ward Harris). You can call Georg Esterer / @orangefj45 as well, but he is at the Southern Cruiser Crawl later this week, so kind of hard to track down.

Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tanks

Last edited:

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
80 Series Aux Tanks

Folks have asked about hang-down on the 42 and 24 gallon aux kits for the 80 Series.

Here are some metric measurements from the left side of vehicle.

upload_2018-10-17_6-16-11.png

Ran my 62 out of gas on the second tank through the LRA 40G to see how far I could get and make sure that my fuel pump pickup would pull gas all the way from the bottom. About half of this tank was around town, and the other half was up hill and over dale with the AC running coming back from Las Vegas to Phoenix. 465.9 miles on Trip Meter plus 10% for tire differential equals 512.5 miles on a tank. Put 40.05G back in so 12.81mpg. It's closer to 14 on flat highway miles. Thanks Cruiser Brothers for a great product.

tank best.jpg

mpg1.jpg.png

mpg2.jpg.png

Would love to see identical pics of both 80 series LRA options to see the drop down. Also, any feedback on driveability with each in regards to weight/balance? I’m running heavy Kings.

Peluo

SILVER Star

I have the 24 gallon one on my 80 series with 2.5” OME heavy front and extra heavy duty on rear springs plus Luke’s Bumper dual swing outs and rear cargo drawers. Did a round trip with it on South America (all countries) to me with all that stuff plus RTT you can feel when you have the auxiliary tank full and when is empty. The handling does feel differently. I think the smaller tank gives more than enough range. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom