Long Range Tank Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Alf,

I have a 55 gallon drum you can use (it is a fuel drum)(I also have a 30 gal drum). You can run an electric pump to transfer the fuel to the can. I have one of those too. If you want to borrow them let me know.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Really?

not that this will make much of a difference now but when my rep told me about the situation last night i immediately went to see if we had another tank in stock. We do have another tank, and my offer of course is to swap tanks for a new one or give you a refund. The choice is up to you. I am very sorry you got a tank with a leak and of course we are going to make it right, regardless of your personal opinion of us.

Just to clear a few things up, we really do ask that you call us first to see how the problem can be resolved.... Before you drag our name through the mud (haha punny). I feel that if we cant make everything right, which honestly does happen every so often, then you are welcome to slam us all you like. These tanks are not made by long ranger, and of course they are pressure tested before they are sold.
oh really?

you have not had 5 large ticket problems in the past with us. I looked through your account and can see two returns with minor issues. Both products returned got a full refund, niether of the parts were manufactured by us.

I know being a vendor on here i'm not supposed to argue people about issues they have had. Doing this in the past left me attacked by many people on the board, but i feel you were out of line posting about how bad we were before you called us.
hahahaha

Hey, Peter, thanks for the offer but I'm off to work now and I'm gonna try and drop it tomorrow morning so I won't have time to get the drum... But it would have been very handy!

Guess the neighbors are gonna get their tanks filled for free... :)

s*** brother.....fill the mowers first
Hey, Peter, thanks for the offer but I'm off to work now and I'm gonna try and drop it tomorrow morning so I won't have time to get the drum... But it would have been very handy!

Hey Alf if you want I can go pick it up from Peter and drop it off for you tonight or early tomorrow morning. Let me know. Hell I'm just sitting in front of the computer not remembering what the sky looks like. :bang:

You know what your situation just reminded me to do? Pressure test the big tank I was going to install this weekend BEFORE I put it in. Sorry for your troubles.

AHHHHH! a peaceful, happy end to what started out as a potentially ugly situation...I'm feelin all warm & fuzzy now, secure in knowing that peace & harmony does exist in the land of cruisers once again.

Actually, when I stupidly drilled a 3/8 through my gas tank, I didn't remove it , I
just took a blob of JB Weld on my finger, stuffed it in the hole, and didn't drive it for a day. It hasn't leaked yet.
I did clean the surface around it very well

Regardless the tank will have to come out and will have to be drained...possibly use the fuel up first.Then pull the tank. Take it to someone with a tig welder...(FLUSH THE TANK WITH WATER THEN FILL IT WITH WATER) set the tank up so when it is filled the spot to be welded is the highest point of the tank. Now you can weld it, paint it and drain it. Put about a quart of fuel in it and wash it around all sides to get the condensation to run and the dump it out.Use an air hose with a length of tubing to blow out anything that remains. Install the tank and fill with fuel but add the appropriate ammount of water dryer (additive) to the tank and run it. I had this problem on a tank that got punctured and this was my solution. I drove that truck for years after the repair with no leaks or fuel problems.

You know though, I TOTALLY see SPIKE's point. I would be raving mad if I had to replace something that takes hours of labor to do because of something that should have been caught during QC. Yes they'll replace it but that doesn't replace the hours of labor, lost time, bloody knuckles, etc etc just to swap it out. Doesn't matter how good the customer service is if the product is crap.

talk to MAF directly. It looks like this tank is defect, and they will make good on it. There is no use in ranting about a vendor on the website without giving them the chance to make good first. I am sure you know that it is not SteveO with his stick welder that makes the tanks in the MAF backyard.
You had 4 other bad large-ticket transactions with them? Did they get resolved? If not, why did you buy there again?

I understand your frustration, but there is little doubt that MAF is a good company. I am sure they'll make good on you. this thread does not help.

good luck,
J

Agreed. Bring it to their attention before you do anything else. I've dealt with Steve-O on here before and he's a stand-up guy who will back his products. He did a great job keeping us all in the loop when we did the Aussie sliding window group purchase a few years back.

You know though, I TOTALLY see SPIKE's point. I would be raving mad if I had to replace something that takes hours of labor to do because of something that should have been caught during QC. Yes they'll replace it but that doesn't replace the hours of labor, lost time, bloody knuckles, etc etc just to swap it out. Doesn't matter how good the customer service is if the product is crap.

I agree too, the tank should not have had a problem, and he has every right to be upset. But the situation could have been made easier by calling us first to see how it could be resolved. I'm happy we are able to work it out, I spoke with Alf and everything is cool on both our ends. I even had the other two 60 tanks I had in stock sent out to be pressure tested again at a local shop. I want to make sure he or any other customers that purchase this dont dont have any more problems.

The crappiest part about aftermarket parts and thier warranties is that no shop, or parts supplier will cover labor that wasnt performed at thier shop. Man-A-Fre wont be getting a re-imbursement either from a defective tank like this, we just fix it, take the hit and move on. We have had so many tanks go through here with no problems that I am still confident it is a great product.

Alf is local to us and I promise you that had the chosen to pay extra to install the tank here I would absolutely be removing and re-installing it for him no charge. Moding your vehicle yourself saves you a lot of money but you do have to fix anything yourself that could possibly go wrong. It sucks, but thats life man.

Spook, I still have nightmares about those windows! That was one of the biggest cluster-f**ks of my life lol.

New tank installed - No more gas smell !

Thanks to Steve at MAF for exchanging and allowing me to take the new tank before turning in the old, so I could do the drop and install in one swoop.

Here's a pic of the leak:

Now if that factory bloke woudda put down his Fosters and welded another half-second, I wouldn't have gone through this mess!

:D :cheers:
hole0001.jpg

Yeah, that's weird how that slipped through any kind of quality control. That's an NFG bead on something like a fuel tank nipple I would think.

I just wonder why thay dont make two tanks

Personally, I would feel very uncomfortable driving by my self with just one tank. Every thought if there was a puncture of some type 200 miles in the middle of no where?

To bad they dont make two tanks sitting side by side. I asume the cost would be a bit higher but at least it is insurance in the even one tank fails you have a backup or aux tank.

In your case, depending on frieght cost it may be more fesible to just send it to your local tank repair shop and have them repair it and then get remibersed by long ranger tanks.

BTW, Dynosoar - They may have a "discounted" 40 gal tank now... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom