Long Range Tank Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yea let us know what they say/ do
id be a little upset as well if i were you. you have every right to be upset.

you have not bashed them, you have meerly posted your thoughts. nothing wrong with that.

Regardless the tank will have to come out and will have to be drained...possibly use the fuel up first.Then pull the tank. Take it to someone with a tig welder...(FLUSH THE TANK WITH WATER THEN FILL IT WITH WATER) set the tank up so when it is filled the spot to be welded is the highest point of the tank. Now you can weld it, paint it and drain it. Put about a quart of fuel in it and wash it around all sides to get the condensation to run and the dump it out.Use an air hose with a length of tubing to blow out anything that remains. Install the tank and fill with fuel but add the appropriate ammount of water dryer (additive) to the tank and run it. I had this problem on a tank that got punctured and this was my solution. I drove that truck for years after the repair with no leaks or fuel problems.
That will work, but these are potentially less effort:
US STANDARD TANK SEALER-POR-15 Inc.

KREEM COMBO PACK

Though I agree, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

The flip side is that it is very expensive to do 100% QC. Could easily add another $100 to the price of every fuel tank. So there are all sorts of Statistical methods used instead. The odds of something like this happening when those methods are used is very low, but it can obviously happen.

Hey SPIKE, that really sucks ass man. Sorry. I can tell you for 100% certainty that a bar of soap DOES work. I've done it myself and never worked about it after wards. I would also used FastSteel which is basically like JB Weld but isnt affected by gas and can be put on even if soaking wet. I've got a bunch if you want some in case you decide to fix it yourself. Totally sucks though.

I hate to have to say it, but I stopped doing business with MAF years ago for the same types of issues. There is a JB Weld product for gas tanks and it works extremely well. I think you have nothing to worry about since it is just a pin hole. I know you want to make good on the homicidal feelings you're having, but you will spend less effort and incur less brain damage by just fixing it and getting on with life. Sorry for the problem, but I will say that my MAF problem cost more than twice as much as yours does. And like a fool I bought some other stuff from them after that, and that cost me even more money in defective junk. I'm done with them for good.

Not that this will make much of a difference now but when my rep told me about the situation last night I immediately went to see if we had another tank in stock. We do have another tank, and my offer of course is to swap tanks for a new one or give you a refund. The choice is up to you. I am very sorry you got a tank with a leak and of course we are going to make it right, regardless of your personal opinion of us.

Just to clear a few things up, we really do ask that you call us first to see how the problem can be resolved.... before you drag our name through the mud (haha punny). I feel that if we cant make everything right, which honestly does happen every so often, then you are welcome to slam us all you like. These tanks are not made by Long Ranger, and of course they are pressure tested before they are sold.

You have not had 5 large ticket problems in the past with us. I looked through your account and can see two returns with minor issues. Both products returned got a full refund, niether of the parts were manufactured by us.

I know being a vendor on here I'm not supposed to argue people about issues they have had. Doing this in the past left me attacked by many people on the board, but I feel you were out of line posting about how bad we were before you called us.

You should just JB it and demand 10% back for the product defect!
It'll be less hassle for you, them, and you will feel better with $100.00 in your pocket!
Bryan

:cheers:
Not that this will make much of a difference now but when my rep told me about the situation last night I immediately went to see if we had another tank in stock. We do have another tank, and my offer of course is to swap tanks for a new one or give you a refund. The choice is up to you. I am very sorry you got a tank with a leak and of course we are going to make it right, regardless of your personal opinion of us.

Just to clear a few things up, we really do ask that you call us first to see how the problem can be resolved.... before you drag our name through the mud (haha punny). I feel that if we cant make everything right, which honestly does happen every so often, then you are welcome to slam us all you like. These tanks are not made by Long Ranger, and of course they are pressure tested before they are sold.

You have not had 5 large ticket problems in the past with us. I looked through your account and can see two returns with minor issues. Both products returned got a full refund, niether of the parts were manufactured by us.

I know being a vendor on here I'm not supposed to argue people about issues they have had. Doing this in the past left me attacked by many people on the board, but I feel you were out of line posting about how bad we were before you called us.

Look there, problem solved.

Ya know fellas while I agree with the poster he needed a new tank....an he is getting one as I knew he would but venders for cruisers are far and few in between.......really

MAF is charging a premium price for supposedly a premium product. The customer has a right to expect premium product. MAF should pay for shipping both ways and give him a new tank. It is the service after the sale that will make Spike keep returning. The leak in the weld is a result of poor quality control both at the manufacturer and the re-seller MAF.( Steve did say in his post that "they are pressure tested before they are sold")

That said in any business S**t happens. A reasonable thing to do would have been to call MAF and try to resolve. I believe that it is OK to post here and say has anyone had this problem, and how were you able to solve it or whatever.

The title to the thread insinuates that MAF had not done what they were supposed to. They were not even given the chance.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it....

Please let us know the out come of this.

John (never even bought from MAF)

MAF (through Steve) has agreed to replace the tank with a new one. Thank you, Steve, for that...

And I'm not complaining about MAFs customer service - Never have - You guys have been very good taking stuff back and making good on what you sell. As good (and sometimes better ) as any other LC parts retailer - and I've dealt with them all with this build. My issue is with the parts. But customer service, even if the best in the universe, won't come to my house and remove the bad part. So there's the rub, and the purchase point becomes the focus. As the poster above said: I paid a premium price - I expected a premium product - or at least not having to do it twice!

I prolly jumped off the handle too high too far too fast. And I did post BEFORE I had given MAF a chance to do anything about it - That was wrong - What can I say? God made me a hot-head :rolleyes: .... But can you really blame me for being mad and frustrated? I didn't even mention in previous posts that I spent DAYS- days testing and re-testing the evap system components and hoses and fittings trying to track down the source of the gas smell because it was a NEW tank and couldn't have a leak -- Again, not MAFs fault - and I apologize for shooting the messenger - but I needed to vent (more puns) and this forum was the place to do it. Just be thankful I don't work for the POST OFFICE ! :D:D

Incidentally, if the tank is not made my Long Ranger, why did I get LR fitment instructions?

The tank is a Long Range Automotive, Long Ranger is a different company, both based in Australia. I didnt want Long Ranger catching heat when they didnt make the tank thats all.

I've always been supportive of opinions and reviews on the board, my issue was definitely not that you complained, but that you didnt contact us first to try and resolve the issue. I got several phone calls this morning about the post, I felt I had to jump in. I totally agree that the tank should not be leaking, it sucks that you had to spend so much time tracking it down and I am very sorry for that.

I'm glad we are able to work it out, let me know if I can help in any other way.

Good to see it got resolved....!!!

I gotta call MAF to find out about buying damaged/defective merchandise.

Dynosoar:zilla:

You have a 39 gal gas can I can borrow ? :D

You have a 39 gal gas can I can borrow ? :D

I have a 40 gallon Surburban fuel tank sitting out of the vehicle up here in Ventura. A little rinsing and it would do what you need it to do. Somewhere I should still have a loose Carter low pressure/transfer electric fuel pump too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom