Long Range or Aux fuel tanks for SWB 70s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to increase my range by ~30%-50% and curious if anyone is familiar with a manufacturer making good solutions for the SWB models. I've only run 2 complete tanks since installing a 1hdt and my range has decreased from the na 3B a little more than I would like, which was already borderline. Jerry cans are kind of a no go for me, would like something elegant that won't eat up cargo space. Lots for troopies, wagons, and utes, but never seen an option for the short ones. There is also always the custom fab route.. Any help appreciated!

There is not a lot of room under the SWB. I bet you will have to modify the floor somehow for long range options.

I wonder if there any options out of Venezuela?

Hey brown Davis looks pretty ideal, and 35 more liters is pretty good. Just sent them an email about shipping to usa, hopefully not insanely expensive. Thanks for the link

Hey brown Davis looks pretty ideal, and 35 more liters is pretty good. Just sent them an email about shipping to usa, hopefully not insanely expensive. Thanks for the link
No problem. It Should work out good for you anyway with the current exchange rate. I know that first hand they are very good quality.

I've got what I believe is a Brown David 125L tank in both my BJ74 and my brother's BJ74 (obviously MWB not SWB). No complaints or issues.

I've also got an aftermarket auxiliary tank that goes in front of the rear axle on the left hand side, but haven't fitted it yet. I think it's about 60 litres, again MWB not SWB though.

Lots for troopies, wagons, and utes

The rear tank in a SWB/MWB is the same as the auxiliary tank in the troopys and utes. Long Ranger make a 2couple tanks that fit in that cavity. They are mostly plug and play and you use your old fuel pick and gauge sender

Thanks. I searched their website and found this one for 75 and 78 series, designed to replace the same 90ltr tank that's on mine 180L Replacement Fuel Tank | The Long Ranger
180 liters is very appealing but this photo makes me sceptical that it will fit.

This one looks more promising but I don't know about this spare tire thing 180L Auxiliary Fuel Tank | The Long Ranger.
There's no measurements but I don't think my butt sticks out that far

TR58 with TW05SS and Taipan exhaust DSC00060.jpeg

Cool, I sent them an email. Their tank would be perfectly fine if it works.

I am so glad you found an option @dcruiser666 . You should do a write up on it if you get it.

Thanks, me too. That's a good idea, there's very little information about increasing the range of the short ones (if you hate Jerry cans like me). I'd guess just because they aren't a popular choice for serious overland travel.. but also over a $1000 and a few hrs of my time just to not have 3 Jerry cans packed, haha, might look stupid. I don't want to compromise my vision for this thing

I'll post an update here when things get moving, pics of install etc. Also, 35 extra liters doesn't sound like a lot but I can calculate an estimate for the off road fuel economy I'll be getting now using all my data recorded while running the 3b and what I've seen with the hd so far, a little over 1000kms - the magic number. That's assuming fully packed and every drop of fuel in the tank gets used, which it obviously won't, but still. That would be pretty efficient packaging for a little truck.

I have an older Longranger tank in my 73 series that was for the 75 series troopy.(from the code on the tank is discontinued and replaced with the one in your photo), Fit without any mods but very tight tollerences. I got it second hand and from my calculations is around 170-180ltrs.
IMG_4359.JPG
P8180264.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG

I have an older Longranger tank in my 73 series that was for the 75 series troopy.(from the code on the tank is discontinued and replaced with the one in your photo), Fit without any mods but very tight tollerences. I got it second hand and from my calculations is around 170-180ltrs.
View attachment 2332190View attachment 2332192View attachment 2332193

That looks great for travelling around but any place with rocks or some ledges might beat up that tank pretty quick . I noticed people tend to be very careful approaching an obstacle but usually forget to look at the same obstacle when the rear end needs to go over it.

They are made for long distance travel in remote parts, not rocky gullys. Long Ranger have been in this business a long time. If they say its good for X amount of litres, they mean it.
They dont advertise parts for swb and mwb anymore because there is not so many on the road these days and they were not big sellers here anyway.

They are made for long distance travel in remote parts, not rocky gullys. Long Ranger have been in this business a long time. If they say its good for X amount of litres, they mean it.
They dont advertise parts for swb and mwb anymore because there is not so many on the road these days and they were not big sellers here anyway.
See that might be a difference between "overlanding" at different parts of the world , here everyone seems to need these to do things like Moab , Rubicon or transatlantic divide where there are many "rocky gullys"

How far away is the gas station from those places?. I use to get 600klms out of the standard tank in a diesel 73. Im not a huge fan of gerry cans but for the once or twice a year when you need them, they are ok. And cheap. I also like the fuel bladders. You can put them away until you need them again.

Thanks, me too. That's a good idea, there's very little information about increasing the range of the short ones (if you hate Jerry cans like me). I'd guess just because they aren't a popular choice for serious overland travel.. but also over a $1000 and a few hrs of my time just to not have 3 Jerry cans packed, haha, might look stupid. I don't want to compromise my vision for this thing

I'll post an update here when things get moving, pics of install etc. Also, 35 extra liters doesn't sound like a lot but I can calculate an estimate for the off road fuel economy I'll be getting now using all my data recorded while running the 3b and what I've seen with the hd so far, a little over 1000kms - the magic number. That's assuming fully packed and every drop of fuel in the tank gets used, which it obviously won't, but still. That would be pretty efficient packaging for a little truck.

The capacity of my stock BJ70 tank is +23 gallons (~23.5 gal when I refilled it from bone empty). The cited capacity of the Expedition tank is 125 liters (i.e., 33.02 gallons)
  • For my truck; sightseeing and cruising on back roads, I would be seeing ~20mpg or higher.
  • So my stock cruising range is ~460 miles. With the expedition tank, my cruising range would be 660 miles.

If I get the opportunity to explore some of the wide open west, +450 mile cruise range should enable me to plan a trip/route with a fuel stop every 400 miles or so. If so, the cost-benefit analysis does not appear to be there for me.
Is a fuel stop every 400 miles a naive assumption? Thanks

No, of course not, you can easily get by without that equipment. Economically it makes no sense to add a long range tank, and there might be nowhere in mainland USA where fuel stops are that far apart. Owning an old 70 series isn't economic either though... at least here.

I'm thinking about it like this, when I travel I want to be in civilization as little as possible. Let's say leisurely doing a big chunk of the Transamerica trail, which would be weeks of slow off road driving. That extra 200 miles or so is potentially adding days of no contact while not limiting valuable space on the roof or interior. Massive plus for me.

Idk, the land cruiser is a dream, it's not the best choice, it's not economic, and building/modifying it is part of the fun even (especially) when it's excessive. The whole idea of ownership to me is that these are extremely COOL, capable, modular, and more fun than everything else. Long range tank is for enhancing the pleasure of traveling I like to do not necessity. I feel like it's synonymous with camping equipment, everyone has their preferences and what they think is important to have. It seems like everyone with a troopy buys an absurdly expensive roof top tent, but what conditions really require a roof top tent? It's just what they like.

That looks great for travelling around but any place with rocks or some ledges might beat up that tank pretty quick . I noticed people tend to be very careful approaching an obstacle but usually forget to look at the same obstacle when the rear end needs to go over it.

Good point. Probably looks worse because of my quarter chop too. I am helping my fab guy tomorrow to make a rear tube bar so I’ll make sure there’s provision for a bash plate of some sort although I doubt I would go through somewhere that requires that much exit angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom