Long Range Fuel Tank (diesel) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

I am in Virginia doing a Cummins 4 cyl repower in my 84FJ60. I want a new long range diesel fuel tank. Does anyone know where I can get one in the US or Canada?

I found these guys in Australia 4wdsystems.com.au

They make a 190 litre (50 Gallon).

Thats pretty far away.

Thanks in advance.

This is my first post and look forward to hearing from someone who has done a Cummins 4BT with NV4500 5 speed in a FJ60.

Marc

Do a search on this site .There have been lots of threads on long range tanks.
Try a search for "long ranger"
Also some of the shops in the US that sell cruiser accessories sell the aussie long range fuel tanks.
You wont need a specifically diesel tank. I think you will only need to block off a pipe on the tank that normally goes to the charcoal filters on a gasser

Man-a-fre has a bolt in tank, approx 42 gals. All the recent posts on this mod are positive, easy to do, and works great.

i thought about a long range tank too once. and i am doing a 4bta swap also. so lets say in a 60 you get 12 miles to the gallon at about 18 gallons between fill ups, thats 216 miles a tank, maybe a little more. figure with the cummins diesel you will probably double that and then some. thats 432 miles a tank, probably more. so i ask you where will you be going that you will need more fuel than that? australia??? plus think about all the extra weight in fuel. unless money is not an issue you could probably find something more worth your while.
if not, good luck with it.
do you plan to run veggie oil? i plan to one day, and that will require a second tank.
anyway, good luck and keep us posted.
-herb

Thanks

thanks guys. good stuff.

Good point Herb. Funny you mention veggie. I had planned to change to bio after a while and wanted to be able to fill a big tank to get the job out of the way for a long time.

Why is a second tank needed for veggie conversion? Excuse my ignorance please.

Cheers

Marc

If you are using used veggie oil the used kind you get from restaurants, a second tank is needed. There are animal fats in WVO. One of the ideas of the second tank is to be able to flush out all fatty latent oil from the injection pump before shutting the engine down. That way the animal fats aren't sitting in the injection pump and nozzles overnight. The more time the inj pump and nozzles are exposed to animal fat, the more time they are potentially subject to corrosion and coking. The other reason is the veggie oil is thick. The engine wont start on it easily if at all.

A second tank isn't needed for biodiesel. Biodiesel is veggie oil that's been processed and treated so it is the right consistancy and PH balance and is non corrosive.

Too cool. What did you get the 4bt out of? the search is on for me to find one. I know the wonder bread trucks had them.

Steve how well does the NV4500 shift?

20mpg times 50 gallons = 1000 miles. That would be neat. On the other hand, $2.50 a gallon for diesel times 50 gallons = $125. That's not so neat.

I would love to have one. Like AlaskanHerbs said however, make sure that your springs are up to par.

Al, It shifts fine. Slightly notchier than the Toyota, but shifts like a modern transmission. They are wider ratio than Toyota. More RPM drop between shifts. I'll let you try mine next time we cross paths.
So, thinking about going stinky?
Frito Lay trucks had the 4BT too. Also sometimes they show up on big industrial air compressors. I've heard they can be in generators too.

FL cruiser said:
Al, It shifts fine. Slightly notchier than the Toyota, but shifts like a modern transmission. They are wider ratio than Toyota. More RPM drop between shifts. I'll let you try mine next time we cross paths.
So, thinking about going stinky?
Frito Lay trucks had the 4BT too. Also sometimes they show up on big industrial air compressors. I've heard they can be in generators too.
Careful with generator and air compressor 4BT's. They may have different injection pumps and governors on them. You are looking at $900 to replace the injection pump if you are replacing it for one that is suitable for on-road applications.
Your best bet to find a 4BT is in the old bread vans. Frito Lay, Wonder Bread, Dolly Madison, etc had them in some of their trucks.
If someone is really interested in one, I have just bought 7 of them. I have sold 4 so there are 3 left. PM me if you want details.

On another note, I have put over 17K miles on my 4BT FJ60. I have had no need for a larger tank. I can get over 500 miles per tank. This is plenty! Like Alaskan Herbs, I plan on running veggie oil, hence adding a secondary tank.

FL Cruiser: the secondary tank for veggie oil is primarily for heating purposes. 100% Veggie oil needs to be heated to at least 160 degrees F. to combust properly in any diesel engine. The secondary tank is only a storage vessel so that you can switch back and forth between fuels like when starting and shutting down.

If you do not heat the veggie oil to at least 160, coking occurs which can lead to engine failure in a relatively short period of time. Also, not all veggie oil contains animal fats, only that oil which has been used for cooking meats. This oil is not ideal. Stay away from your greasy spoons and burger joints. They use their oil to the point where it is pretty nasty. The best oil can come from top of the line restaraunts and many Asian restaurants. I have an excellent source for my oil, I get mine from a top of the line Sushi restaurant. Good stuff and it smells like Tempura!
Also, FWIW you can add up to 10% veggie oil in you diesel tank if the ambient temperature does not fall below 70 degrees F. I have never done this because I live in Colorado, but other people have and have great success with it. 10% is not much but it makes you diesel smell better!

Good luck with your 4Bt swap. In my opinion, it is the best conversion that you can possibly do.

One more thing, if you buy a generator or compressor 4BT, you do not get the Cummins ring adaptor to mate to a GM tranny. You cannot mate any tranny w/out this adaptor. Different adaptors exist to mate to GM Ford, and SAE #3 trannies, This GM adaptor is $600 new from Cummins. You can find them used, but they still can be pricey.

GreaseC,
Where are you located and how much for a 4bt?

I replaced the OEM tank with a 38 gallon Long Ranger that I bought from MAF at the same time of my 4BT installation. One thing about this tank is that it tucks under the truck *really well*, so if you wheel hard on jagged rocks, this is a good choice. I just got back from the Roundup and although my diffs, diff protector, skidplate and bumpers took a beating, the tank survived unscathed. I'm impressed!
LongRanger tank (small).jpg

I bought the Opposite Locke 50 gallon tank from them in Australia. It took a while to get, but it sure is big!

"The only time youve got to much fuel on board is when you're on fire!"

Here's a pic.

picture.JPG

marc84FJ60 said:
thanks guys. good stuff.

Good point Herb. Funny you mention veggie. I had planned to change to bio after a while and wanted to be able to fill a big tank to get the job out of the way for a long time.

Why is a second tank needed for veggie conversion? Excuse my ignorance please.

Cheers

Marc

hey marc, like greas cruiser, ones for diesel for starting up and shutting down and the other is for grease. you have to swap back and forth.
here are a couple links that might help with some questions too.
cheers
-herb

http://www.biodieselnow.com/

http://www.greasel.com/index.html

http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/biodiesel/index.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom