Long Range Aux Tanks From OZ? (possible group buy) (1 Viewer)

Website
www.motobasedadventures.com
Hey Guys

I am trying to get my hands on a 44 Gallon Long Ranger Aux Fuel tanks. They are only available in OZ and arent shipped to the US that often!

(And before someone mentions it, yes, i am aware of the 34 gallong one from MAF, :D I prefer to have this all tied into the OEM system, not seperate gauges and such)

This mod will be fairly involved with a bunch of parts and pieces, but will dramatically increase my driving range!

Here is what i am trying to do:

The OZ 80 series have a cool subtank gauge with an almtimiter which mounts up near the rearview mirror. The gauge reads the level of the NON US subtank but can easily be made to read the 44 Gallon LR Aux tank as well. I am trying to get all these bits and pieces together to get the large Aux tank into my rig for an upcoming trip through Baja!

Pieces Needed For Install:
-OZ Market Subtank Gauge and Altimiter Cluster (JDM Market has a compass in place of the subtank gauge)
-OZ or JDM Market Visors
-166L Long Ranger Aux Tank
-OEM Sending Unit
-OEM Non US Subtank Dash Switch
-Handbuilt ECM For Sending Units and Gauges

Pieces I have bought and or located:
-OZ Market Subtank Gauge Cluster
-OEM Sending Unit
-OEM Non US Subtank Switch
-Handbuilt ECM For Sending Units and Gauges

Pieces I Still Need:
-166L Tank (hard to get into this country)
-Visors

Anyone interested in installing one of the 44 Gallon Aux tanks? The price of shipping is the same whether we get 2 or 10. I figure if a few folks are interested, we could save a ton of $ on shipping.

Anyone?

Thanks a bunch
Kevin

Last edited:
Website
www.perfectswitch.com
I live in San Diego too and might be interested in a tank for a 100-series. Need to get comfortable with what all's involved.

Scott

Kevin, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Doesn't that guage and rear-view mirror combo only work in vehicles without a sun/moon roof? And, aren't *all* the US version FZJ-80s equipped with a sunroof?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and I'd be up for it, but I'm not sure it would work. The pictures I've seen of that setup were only in non-sunroof models. Although, I suddenly remember CDan mentioning he'd installed the JDM compass/altimeter, so now I'm wondering if I'm totally off base.

What are the costs we're looking at, here?

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Sun roof doesn't matter and you do not need a different mirror. It is possible to modify existing sun visors but it is a pain in the ass.

Website
mobi-arc said:
I live in San Diego too and might be interested in a tank for a 100-series. Need to get comfortable with what all's involved.

Scott

Me too! Trying to get more details ASAP!

Where in San Diego are ya? Clairemont here!

Website
cruiserdan said:
Sun roof doesn't matter and you do not need a different mirror. It is possible to modify existing sun visors but it is a pain in the ass.

Oh! Very cool! I didnt know that you could still use the same mirror! Does it need to be modified or anything?

Website
thekirk said:
Kevin, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Doesn't that guage and rear-view mirror combo only work in vehicles without a sun/moon roof? And, aren't *all* the US version FZJ-80s equipped with a sunroof? ?

No, the sunroof control panel thing easily swaps over. The interchangeability of parts on these trucks is cool! The body actually has the mounting holes for this gauge cluster already. If you feel around your maplight switchs near the headliner you can feel the holes! Should be a simple bolt up and only the wiring will be challenging! I am a tad nervous messing with my perfect headliner though! Any tips?

thekirk said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and I'd be up for it, but I'm not sure it would work.

Neither am i! :D I like trying new things and if this does work then i will share the info and such with others. If it doesnt then oh well, lesson learned!

thekirk said:
The pictures I've seen of that setup were only in non-sunroof models. Although, I suddenly remember CDan mentioning he'd installed the JDM compass/altimeter, so now I'm wondering if I'm totally off base.?

yes, but that doesnt mean much, only that the panels didnt have the cutouts for the switches. can dan the man clarify this?

[/QUOTE]What are the costs we're looking at, here?[/QUOTE]

Not sure yet, still waiting to here some info!

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Boston Mangler said:
Oh! Very cool! I didnt know that you could still use the same mirror! Does it need to be modified or anything?

Nope.

Website
www.perfectswitch.com
Boston Mangler said:
Me too! Trying to get more details ASAP!

Where in San Diego are ya? Clairemont here!

On the Clairemont side of Soledad.

Website

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Website
Jonathan-Ferguson.tk
Be careful dealing with Shops that pretend to be experts. ;) Have you checked the Lagalities of using an Aftermarket Fuel Tank?

I've always thought that 44 Gallons = 206 Litres :confused:

Good luck fella's.;)

I'm sure it would be a sweet mod to have.:cool:

Website
yeah, that is the same tank that MAF sells to replace the stock unit. i have read a few threads with people having issues with the driveshaft hitting and such. that is a hell of a lot of money to only ADD 9 gallons!

Anyway, i just sent Joe an email asking if he can get the others

Thanks

Last edited:
Website
Just got an email back from OZ

It is looking like about $592 US for the tank (166L = 44 Gallons, 10 more then the MAF one) and about $356 for freight. Now, i thought i read somewhere that the freight will be the same whether it is 1 tank or 5 tanks. The more people interested the cheaper it is. I replied back asking if this is how it works and i am currently waiting on their reponse!

The company can provide the extra parts, but due to shipping costs it might be best to source them here.

This is the company: http://www.oot4wd.com.au/=80Series.asp and www.thelongranger.com.au

Interest?

Thanks
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom