Long Range Automotive LRA 24 Aux Tank Meets an 80 Series Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These photos show the modified exhaust. The resonator is 3.5" OD. Hard from the perspective in the photos to tell how much room there is for the LRA tank. I'm thinking further exhaust mods will be needed. Thoughts?

Started mounting the tank. Yes I must move the exhaust. It overlaps space about 2" at the bend above the resonator. Also I'll have to move the hanger rod mount to the other side, across the top of that part of the frame, to get about 3/4" of clearance from the tank side wall.

Last edited:

I was just about to post my own picture with the same question. What is the clearance like near on the front of the LRA tank for the exhaust? It would help if I even remembered what the stock exhaust looked like.

View attachment 1937557

I was just about to post my own picture with the same question. What is the clearance like near on the front of the LRA tank for the exhaust? It would help if I even remembered what the stock exhaust looked like.
The LRA tank is cut away on that side. From that right most carrier nut hole for the 4 bolt bracket you need about 4" to the right (I'm not at home, I'll measure it tonight if I can). The cut away angle is good, so once you make that corner you're mostly good to go. My judgement is you will need to move that exhaust more to the right to make that corner. I'll try to get more pics and such to help you out on that dimension this week.

OK I made some measurements. Hopefully I can relate this clearly.
Some interval dimensions:
From the right hand carrier nut (of the 4 the bracket bolts into) in the frame to the bolt center on the bracket that attaches to the frame is ~2-5/8 in.
From the bolt hole center on the tank that attaches to the bracket bolt to the edge of the tank where it starts to sweeps back is ~4-1/4 in.
Then you better add about 2 in. of clearance (generous) as the exhaust pipe is rounding towards the back passenger edge of the truck.
That sums to ~9 in. from the right hand (ps) carrier nut to the outside bend of the exhaust as its turning to clear the tank.
The tank cut edge sweeps back at a 30 degree angle from the front edge of the tank.
So the exhaust has to fit a bit close into the corner made by the angled panhard link and the frame cross member but there is enough room in there if the exhaust is fitted correctly.

OK I made some measurements. Hopefully I can relate this clearly.
Some interval dimensions:
From the right hand carrier nut (of the 4 the bracket bolts into) in the frame to the bolt center on the bracket that attaches to the frame is ~2-5/8 in.
From the bolt hole center on the tank that attaches to the bracket bolt to the edge of the tank where it starts to sweeps back is ~4-1/4 in.
Then you better add about 2 in. of clearance (generous) as the exhaust pipe is rounding towards the back passenger edge of the truck.
That sums to ~9 in. from the right hand (ps) carrier nut to the outside bend of the exhaust as its turning to clear the tank.
The tank cut edge sweeps back at a 30 degree angle from the front edge of the tank.
So the exhaust has to fit a bit close into the corner made by the angled panhard link and the frame cross member but there is enough room in there if the exhaust is fitted correctly.

Very much appreciated. So you think if the exhaust followed tighter around the frame/panhard mount, it would fit?

Very much appreciated. So you think if the exhaust followed tighter around the frame/panhard mount, it would fit?
yes
the tank is specific to the late 80 series
it will fit w/ the stock exhaust I would guess, they probably made sure it would (??)
my exhaust was modded when I bought, built and installed the 4x4 labs bumper kit.
if you go here; you see Cruiser Bros. lists the tank you need
Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tanks
I believe it was this one I bought
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/LRA-TLC80RAX24G-FS-7-X-18.pdf

I plan on overlanding travel to central and south America so security is very important. First of all you don't want to run out of fuel at night or in a bad area. Second, fuel cans on the outside of your vehicle are asking to get stolen. I am going to added another rear tank. How much weight do you guys think the axillary tank full adds? How did the extra weight effect the ride of your vehicles?

Nice upgrade - my to-do list getting looonger. :rolleyes:

Q: what are these clamp things on the upper control arms? I don't have that.
1594003722584.png

@Vintage Iron asked - fuel weighs 6.07 lbs/gal (U.S.) or so.

I plan on overlanding travel to central and south America so security is very important. First of all you don't want to run out of fuel at night or in a bad area. Second, fuel cans on the outside of your vehicle are asking to get stolen. I am going to added another rear tank. How much weight do you guys think the axillary tank full adds? How did the extra weight effect the ride of your vehicles?

I don’t have one of these tanks, but I’d guess maybe 50lbs, and with It filled around 200, but the great thing is that it adds mass down low, keeping COG low, it may actually lower the cruisers COG lower than without it installed, whereas fuel cans mounted on the back or roof do the opposite

Great looking system, definitely on my bucket list. I'd use 'braided' fuel line, constant torque clamps and ditch that cheap PLASTIC 'Tee' for a brass fitting, but other than that, neat set up.

As a fellow California, have you had any issues with the biannual smog testing? I am considering this for my 100 series, but wasn't sure.

As a fellow California, have you had any issues with the biannual smog testing? I am considering this for my 100 series, but wasn't sure.
I've passed smog each year.

That is great to hear and def. on my mod list now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom