Long Range Automotive LRA 24 Aux Tank Meets an 80 Series Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm looks like the OEM subtank is a neat alternative thanks I will be exploring that route (sounds like a bit of a PIA to source parts though). I cant help it i'm obesseed with OEM, and low cost

The LRA is awesome, looks great, and functions great I bet. Thanks for the write up what an awesome mod this is. Defintely could have used in my old Baja days, and a spare scuba tank too lol! bottom time, off-grid time its all the same right? Nobody really wants to come up for air...This could also be applied to those big Pacificos-ballenas right? ok i'll stop

As someone who has long been considering an auxiliary tank mod (as I'm sure many have) would you be willing to share the ballpark price of the tank/professional install? I'm sure mileage may vary (pun intended), just curious of the ballpark.

Congrats on the range increase! Looks like a super clean install.
Price for the tank is in post #1 of this thread LONG RANGE TANKS FROM CRUISER BROTHERS & LRA
If you're in CA, hit up @orangefj45 for install price. His shop does great work and I drove 6 hours one way to have him install it. The rear bumper you have on your truck (SLEE/LABS/ARB/OEM/etc.) may increase/decrease shop install man hours, so it's best to get a quote from the shop who you choose to install it.

Price for the tank is in post #1 of this thread LONG RANGE TANKS FROM CRUISER BROTHERS & LRA
If you're in CA, hit up @orangefj45 for install price. His shop does great work and I drove 6 hours one way to have him install it. The rear bumper you have on your truck (SLEE/LABS/ARB/OEM/etc.) may increase/decrease shop install man hours, so it's best to get a quote from the shop who you choose to install it.
Not seeing any prices in first post, tank or install...?

It's there...click PDF link for prices or just ask @wardharris as these prices are circa 2018

Thanks for the write up @ewillis You along with a few other influencers made me take the plunge and get the aux tank myself! Got it installed at Valley Hybrids last week. Mounted up easy with the Slee rear bumper and it really may be my favorite upgrade to date and I haven’t even taken a trip yet!

Thanks for the write up @ewillis You along with a few other influencers made me take the plunge and get the aux tank myself! Got it installed at Valley Hybrids last week. Mounted up easy with the Slee rear bumper and it really may be my favorite upgrade to date and I haven’t even taken a trip yet!
Oh man...good work! I have a lot of expensive mods on my truck and I agree...this is my favorite! Use it daily and I can go anywhere and not worry about running out of gas. Hitting Death Valley this year as I have put it off for years because of the lack of range without the tank. Enjoy sir...:cheers:

Edit: Just a side note. If anyone is considering the install and within range of Valley Hybrids, Georg is the man! I drove up with my daughter...350 miles each way to have him install it. I'm sure that @Shoredreamer can attest that he and is crew know their stuff. Georg went above and beyond and gave my truck a "once over" as he knew I had a long drive home with my young daughter aboard. He discovered a wheel bearing out of pre-load spec and took care of it at no extra charge, which was appreciated and not forgotten...thanks @orangefj45 🍺

Last edited:
As someone who has long been considering an auxiliary tank mod (as I'm sure many have) would you be willing to share the ballpark price of the tank/professional install? I'm sure mileage may vary (pun intended), just curious of the ballpark.

Congrats on the range increase! Looks like a super clean install.

The tanks are $1700 from Cruiser Brothers (Long Range Automotive Extended Range Fuel Tanks). They say 7 hours for a shop install. But seems like a few people have reported it took a shop more like 10.

After the recent trip to Tellico this one is a must. I DD my 80. Recent regear/PT kit enhanced fuel mileage from 10.8 average to 13.9 average for al around driving. With my M100 trailer and stock gears it netted around 7.6 mpg. It will be better with the regear but the aux. tank is still a must.
^^
can you elaborate on your “regear”? Under drive, over drive, t-case, r&p? What size tires? That is a substantial improvement

Question: How much space between the tank and the exhaust pipe where it bypasses the tank on the cutout shelf? I have a resonator there that probably adds about 2" to the diameter of the exhaust pipe. Where there be enough room or will I have to modify the exhaust?

Question: How much space between the tank and the exhaust pipe where it bypasses the tank on the cutout shelf? I have a resonator there that probably adds about 2" to the diameter of the exhaust pipe. Where there be enough room or will I have to modify the exhaust?

It is tight on my diesel with an aftermarket 3-inch exhaust.

My resonator was chopped to accommodate rear bumper...

In your research did you consider the larger replacement tank vs. auxiliary? Other than the 4 gallon difference in capacity, I wonder what the pros/cons of each are. I'd love a larger tank but would like to keep the spare tire storage area available.
Replacement tank looked to hang a bit too low for my taste...

In your research did you consider the larger replacement tank vs. auxiliary? Other than the 4 gallon difference in capacity, I wonder what the pros/cons of each are. I'd love a larger tank but would like to keep the spare tire storage area available.

The biggest benefit to the factory aux tank over the LR 24 gal is you can still have your spare under the tank.

The replacement factory tank as @ewillis pointed out hangs down ~2" below the frame. To much for my liking also

^^
can you elaborate on your “regear”? Under drive, over drive, t-case, r&p? What size tires? That is a substantial improvement
I have been running 285/70-17s on FJ Cruiser wheels for about 15k miles with stock gears. Regeared to 4.56's and it placed the speedometer and odometer back to reading correctly. Part Time kit was installed at the same time. Between the two it picked up 3 mpg average all around mileage. Five tanks now have averaged 13.6 mpg cumulative.

I will still be adding a 24 gallon Long Range in March. All the FJ Cruisers with trailers or roof tops have left me behind on trips every 250 miles when I stop for petrol. I can surprise them now with a 310 mile range!:smug:

^^ Don’t you mean 500+ mile range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom