Long Range America Series 80 Gasser Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of putting the extended range replacement primary fuel tank on a series 80 1FZ. I know it hangs down a little further than stock. Does this cause an issue with skid plate fitment or drag off-road? The truck it is going on has rock sliders installed.

I am thinking of putting the extended range replacement primary fuel tank on a series 80 1FZ. I know it hangs down a little further than stock. Does this cause an issue with skid plate fitment or drag off-road? The truck it is going on has rock sliders installed.
If your stock tank is good I would keep it and get the secondary tank that mounts where the spare is located.

Adding an extra fuel tank is a huge cost for what you get. And IMO it's not worth it in the USA, even when you plan a weeks-long overland trip there are plenty of fueling options along the way. I've only ever carried additional fuel in 2x jerry cans when I was hauling an off-road trailer for a week across colorado & utah, and even then I didn't end up truely needing them (came close though).

If I lived in Austraila and was crossing the continent it'd be a different story, but here in the US its not worth the $2000+ mod.

Adding an extra fuel tank is a huge cost for what you get. And IMO it's not worth it in the USA, even when you plan a weeks-long overland trip there are plenty of fueling options along the way. I've only ever carried additional fuel in 2x jerry cans when I was hauling an off-road trailer for a week across colorado & utah, and even then I didn't end up truely needing them (came close though).

If I lived in Austraila and was crossing the continent it'd be a different story, but here in the US its not worth the $2000+ mod.
I’m of the same mind. I’d considered it years ago and decided there were other things that took precedence.

I have to admit that I also scoff at the #strapshitonyourvehicle craze that has proliferated its way across colorado. Apparently, it's the new cool thing to strap your maxtrax, 2 gas rotopax, 1 water rotopax, rooftop tent, shovel & axe onto your subaru crosstrek just in case you get stranded in the median of I-25 on your way to work in the morning.

I only carry extra fuel on my rig when I am actively heading out to a remote place and need some piece of mind. Why people want to carry all that shiz around every day doesn't compute in the logic center of my brain.

Come on guys, the OP didn't ask for opinions on carrying extra gas and strapping stuff to his rig. He asked a specific question....

@danmcph

To answer your question I do not think it will cause any issues with sliders. As far as skid plates go I cannot imagine the product would cause fitment problems with skid plates either. But that being said there are a lot of skid plates on the market so it ultimately comes down to your research.

I would suggest deciding on a skid plate and checking with the manufacturer of the skid plate and the gas tank to make sure there would not be any fitment issues.

As far as dragging offroad, it depends on what you mean by offroad. If your talking rock crawling moab or Sand Hollow in Utah it will most certainly drag and take some hits.

But it should be fine for most expedition style offroading, forest service roads, and exploring type stuff. Just no good on the big rocks.

Goodluck

I think opinions are completely valid when you are talking about a $2000+ modification that, based on the availability of fuel in this country, isn't practical.

Forums have always been a place where people give opinions and as such help guide others. I know over the years I've posted threads wanting to take on a mod only to be talked out of it based on logic, and I'm perfectly happy thats been the case so no need to stonewall the opinion staters.

If he really is dead set on putting an aux tank in or replacing the factory tank with a larger one then he'll do it, or he'll put that money towards other sick mods.

Well since everyone gave me an opinion on why I don’t need it here’s some more details.

I buy fuel 10,000 gallons at a time and fuel at my business from bulk tanks. I pay way less than at the pump. All my vehicles tow vehicles have titan tanks so I can go to Moab and back without paying at the pump.

Just because fuel is everywhere doesn’t mean everyone wants to buy at a pump.

then have at it.

Yes a lower gas tank will hinder your offroading if you plan on doing anything beyond fire road driving. I guess its really up to you if your fantastic cheap gas is worth saving the cost difference of 10 extra gallons of gas or whatever it is you will take with you from your larger tank before you end up needing to refuel anyway. If you are doing what you say you are then why would you need an extended tank if your towing your rig to moab? just put a transfer tank on the trailer or bed of your truck and fill up your rig when you get back from poison spider or wherever.

Last edited:
I have a LRA 38 gallon main tank. Does not interfere with sliders. However, installation required removal of the aftermarket (Crusin' Offroad) skidplate. OEM plate was re-installed without issue. The larger main tank hangs about one and half inches below the rails, so serious rock crawling may present problems. The 24 gallon aux tank tucks up nicely into the spare tire well. Might be a better option if you want to preserve your rock crawling capabilities.

It looks like I am best off using the 24 gallon tank and skipping the oversized stock location.

Looks like a quality unit, LEXUS LX 450 & TOYOTA LC 80 SERIES – EARLY/LATE – 24 GALLON AUX TANK FYI looks like you need to modify your exhaust to run this tank.

In the past, I considered DIY'ing a fuel cell, seems like with a good tig, solid tig skills, and access to a pretty basic metal shop one could whip up a pretty decent custom aluminum fuel cell for a fraction of the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom