Long drive on a high mileage vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '95 LC with 275K miles on it. The car has been well used, well maintained, and runs well, but it does not typically drive more than 3 hours on a highway. I am moving from CO to LA and will be pulling a 1000 lb. trailer. the drive is 1000 miles. If all the maintenance is done, should I have concerns about the car making it on the drive? All comments or perspective appreciated. Is there anything to put special attention prior to the trip? Thanks!!

There is nothing specific about a road trip that is likely to have something fail. By the math the truck is as likely to break on this road trip as it was to break over the last 1000 miles of local driving.

Mine has 285k. Runs. Trust it. Transmission is bulletproof. Get triple AAA platinum. Cheap insurance. Gas it and go.

I wouldn't be concerned here. I would however ensure you have full maintenance done already by yourself. A clean air filter and housing, fresh oil and new filter, etc. Coolant is good. Steers and stops ok.

I expect your terrain to be mostly level, and once you start going, you should be ok. This isn't trailering over mountain passes, is it?

It is all highway driving. I did not know if the engine running at 75MPH for 12 hours rather 3-4 at a time would make a difference. If the car breaks down, I will be pretty remote, but not unsafe. I appreciate all the input.

In February of this year we drove from Phoenix to Albuquerque to Sante Fe to Breckenridge to Moab and back to Phoenix in a ‘94 that had 405,000 at the start of the trip. Changed the oil before I left, added a quart in Moab, changed it shortly after we returned. Obviously made sure all other preventative maintenance was up to date before I left.
She ran like a champ the whole time. Wife was impressed as there was some reservation to do that trip in such a high mileage truck.
We ran at 80mph for large stretches at a time on 33s.
Although we weren’t pulling a trailer.....
I would say go for it.

I have a '95 LC with 275K miles on it. The car has been well used, well maintained, and runs well, but it does not typically drive more than 3 hours on a highway. I am moving from CO to LA and will be pulling a 1000 lb. trailer. the drive is 1000 miles. If all the maintenance is done, should I have concerns about the car making it on the drive? All comments or perspective appreciated. Is there anything to put special attention prior to the trip? Thanks!!
I’d cancel the move. CO > LA. But seriously that’s great, I would join AAA as others noted, it’s cheap insurance for like $70 a year or something and hotels on the route may offer discounts for AAA memberships. I signed up AAA when moving to CO actually because it cost so little and got me like a $300 discount on my Penske move truck so paid for itself day one. Have a blanket and a flashlight and some water just in case. Enjoy CA when you arrive.

This summer I went from Calgary to Ontario and back, over 5 days. No issues.

As others have said, cumulative miles are no different than shorter trips. In some ways they are even easier. Once you get up to operating temp, assuming your cooling system is up to par, you should maintain whatever temp your stat opens and closes at.

As long as you're all caught up on maintenance, the trip length makes no diff. I will mention timing belt specifically though. If you're behind on changing it, then every mile you make is a mile closer to catastrophe. But I'm sure you've got that covered... assuming you have a belt? You didn't say which 1995 Landcruiser you're driving, but this is the 90 series forum, which didn't specifically begin until 1996.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom