long brake lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a late 70 fj40 with the 10mm brake lines and I need the center line that goes from frame to T block on axle to be longer. I tried ordering from Man a Fre but they sent disc axle stuff and it does not look right. Anyone know where to find these ? I have been told they are the same hose front to rear from the factory , anyone confirm this ? I really don't want to tear one , got new springs and am thinking they flex a little more than the old ones I set everything up with.

NAPA Brake lines (5" longer than stock):

Never mind, I think that number is for later model lines. I don't know if it's the same. I bet if you went in to a NAPA with you OEM one you could find a longer replacement.

still nothing , cmon , I had heard they don'y exist and you have to use 2 oem hoses with a coupler . Guess it is true , no aftermarket long hoses for the early 70's cruisers , huh ?
This is a drum brake cruiser so there is 1 center soft line front and rear.

try brake lines from a 96 dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 ! they are long and accomodate a ton of travel ! one side is more exspensive than the other cause of a double inlet so buy 2 of the cheaper side ! you'll have to uncrip a metal bracket on them to unfold them ! they are rubber and almost 3 feet long

local speed shop will have all lengths...about $20 a line in stainless braided.

Toyo FJ40 said:
I just got braided stainless from SOR for 4" lift on a 40

same. a little research goes a long way :cheers:

mine was only around 25-35 bucks if i remember right

SOR kit has 4 hoses, 2 frame to axle lines and the 2 axle to wheel lines.

Kit was $110 not including SOR's BS box fee of $5.

If money was a major concern and they don't have to DOT approved you can make lines as long as you want. Use the "dash" adapters from 10mm fine/coarse to -3 or -4. You can buy the connectors and hose seperately at "Earls" or "Aeroquip". Only thing to caution is they are your brakes, treat it like your/our lives depended on it. There used to be places to buy DOT braided hose in preassembled lengths with dash fittings on either end that were not terribly expensive and were DOT approved.

Last edited:
Napa is great for looking it up. they will take the oem PN and it will give them a pic of the ends and type. they they search the data base for longer ones. this is how I did it. its different for the 60, but my original was about 13 inchs so I had them look for one around 18. it took some time in there book. but was way cheaper then getting them from a 4wheel parts store. unless you have buddy working there.

For most applications we tack an additional long line onto the good original line. Doubles the lenght. Until you get back to the 1960s all brake fittings are the same.

i have a 6/70 40, and am in the same situation. can anyone confirm Napa# 38881 will work for front/rear extended brake lines on the pre 7/70?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom