Long Beach CA Repair Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello chaps and chappettes.

I went with a friend of mine to purchase a 1991 FJ80 and drove it back from San Diego to Long Beach. It drove pretty well, albeit as slow as molasses (so nothing new there). While I had it at my place it developed an issue. It seems to run roughly in the lower rev range, but as soon as you get a bit of speed up it clears up. It passed smog like this though, so I'm a bit bemused as to what it is. It's currently sitting at a local shop who seem to be as bemused as me.

It's a birthday present for my friend's son, and he's obviously anxious to get out and throw a surfboard on it and enjoy it as intended. So, my question is, is there a shop or mechanic in Long Beach (or relatively close by) that you guys could recommend? Any thoughts or input would be very gratefully received.

Thanks!

YMMV, just an opinion.

How does the engine sound when it is idling? If it seems normal, I would actually look someplace entirely different, the driveshafts. There are several other things to consider, but if it idles normally, and you can have it up to 2300 RPM sitting in the driveway with no issues, that is where I would look next. Some will say this is a far reach, but, it's worth looking.

If it doesn't idle normally, then, I would stay in the engine bay. But others will suggest those things and offer some specifics of things you can look for.

My reason for saying driveshafts is I recently experienced the same thing on a friends cruiser. 300K miles, original driveshafts. Probably never lubricated.

You're in the right place for help 👍

YMMV, just an opinion.

How does the engine sound when it is idling? If it seems normal, I would actually look someplace entirely different, the driveshafts. There are several other things to consider, but if it idles normally, and you can have it up to 2300 RPM sitting in the driveway with no issues, that is where I would look next. Some will say this is a far reach, but, it's worth looking.

If it doesn't idle normally, then, I would stay in the engine bay. But others will suggest those things and offer some specifics of things you can look for.
It's definitely not driveshafts or anything like that. There's a misfire, or similar. Almost like it's not getting enough fuel.

How many miles? I'd start by looking at obvious things like vacuum hoses, cap/rotor/wire/plugs, etc. If these were fine, perhaps consider injectors. That'd be my plan of attack,

How many miles? I'd start by looking at obvious things like vacuum hoses, cap/rotor/wire/plugs, etc. If these were fine, perhaps consider injectors. That'd be my plan of attack,
It has 235k miles. New spark plugs, new rotor arm, new cap, new HT leads (I was thinking that might be the cause, but no luck). I did wash the engine bay out (very carefully). Maybe that was the cause? But it has had around a month and lots of heat cycles to evaporate any water/wet issues.

Check for vacuum leaks and that the intake tube does not have cracks that allow unmetered air into the engine.

What ppc said. Check that intake tube for cracks!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom