Long Ago.... Before They Had Pigs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyways, he had that Scout until the mid-80’s sometime then sold it and bought a 1980 Ford F-150 (which I didn’t pull any pics of).
My Mom sold her 1973 F-100 and bought one of the last of what I would consider a vintage 4wd, a 1979 Bronco. She had that throughout the time I went through HS. Got to drive it several times. Man, I wanted that thing so bad I cried when she sold it. Couldn’t come up with the money she needed for it. Oh well. In 1995 my Dad bought the Cruiser I came to have and the rest is history.

NEXT!

View attachment 2403525

Oh man, you inherited your Pig from your Dad?

That is too cool!

My Dad did not like to play with cars. He was fully qualified to run a reactor on a sub, but when it came to cars he did not have a lot of interest!

My boy doesn't seem to have a lot of interest either. What is it they say about skipping a generation?

Oh that’s just awesome @tucker74 ! That takes me way back once again to the early 80’s. An uncle of mine had a late 70’s/early 80’s Honcho pickup (blue and white). Was with him one time following behind my Dad and a friend of his in a dune buggy, going up a sand wash and then a steep hill leading out of the wash. We stopped at the bottom and my uncle reached over, opened the glove box and turned a black knob. Then we drove up the hill and continued on. I couldn’t really comprehend what was going on at the time, but remember it being pretty neat.

That sounds awesome! You were like "what the heck is that in the glovebox?".

Yep. We were only three kids, but there were no handouts. I mowed lawns and had a paper route to buy that Schwinn (used, via the local “Thrifty Nickel”), and the “10 speed” after.

Only occasionally got a ride to school.

Dad and Aunt, 4 and 2 years old. Somewhere around Shelly, Idaho. 1940.

It’s not a 4x4 though.

View attachment 2403993

Same. I hucked the Sunday Chicago Tribune out of the back of a '75 Volvo 245 to buy my bikes. I would ride those 10 speeds to the auto parts store to buy parts for my go-kart. I came in so much they finally offered me a job. I rode those bikes many miles!

Oh man lots of history, love this stuff.
Thanks @PabloCruise

Ouray colorado,KOA campground circa 78-80

A young FJBen getting a bowl haircut. 76/77 FJ40

1597598004013.jpeg

august of 78. In my uncles CJ5, Wheatridge CO. We used to drive around the mountains there.
1597598381418.jpeg

1597598476170.jpeg

trip to Ouray in the CJ7. I believe 82 or 83? I believe this is Imogene Pass.
Yes I'm keeping the Jeep from rolling down hill. My mom said it was just staging a funny photo, but thats also what she said about the bowl haircut photo... :confused: :rofl:

1597598562859.jpeg

Much later on, probably late 80s with my 4H pigs. This is the vehicle I learned to drive stick on. Half cab, 3 speed bronco, 302v8, mud tires.
The tank in the back was for water for the pigs.

1597598761246.jpeg

Dad didn’t really believe in 4x4’s, so I do t have any memories of that type. He used to scab model A’s together as a young man and sell them. By the time I grew up, the one in the barn ( 1932 cabriolet) had been torn apart my whole life. So he sort of understood my cruiser fascination...
Mom eventually paid some else to put his back together after his stroke
1447BE8E-3E89-43FF-8E36-B93EAC8D18B9.jpeg

We had a ‘76 Jeep Cherokee Chief - ours was brown/gold with the ubiquitous lettering on the side. Was the 401cid big block with full time 4wd and vacuum lockers. Not a cruiser by any means, but was a cool vintage 4x4 with a rear window like the 55. This was my first vehicle in HS, until I bought an ‘85 xtra cab 4wd my senior year for $2500 (it had AC). Sweated my ass off crawling around in attics pulling wire in the summer heat for that little Hilux.

Tucker

View attachment 2405245

Now I’m on the hunt for a pig to make into a family rig and continue “collecting.” I’ve been close once or twice, but still no luck. The Cherokee FSJ is a strong contender as well. Right size, possibly stout( with the right drivetrain) and the ooze style. Oddly, they also seem to suffer from chronic cancer as well. Maybe I have poor taste....

Grew up with Broncos, Jeeps, and Scouts. My dad never owned any but I spent a lot of time in and often driving friend's and relative's. I desperately wanted a used bronco that a dealer had in our hometown when I was about 15 or so, blue with a white top. Must have been around a 1974 +/-. Classmate of mine eventually bought it; much to my dismay. So what did my dad bring home for me to eventually drive, a used Ford Granada with a straight 6 automatic. Beggars can't be choosy so I embraced it for what it was, transportation.

So what did my dad bring home for me to eventually drive, a used Ford Granada with a straight 6 automatic.

Three things in response:

- I went to my senior prom in a baby blue Granada. Double dated with Chuck (RIP) and neither my 1970 Challenger nor his 1966 Suburban (Chuck’s **** Truck) was going to make it happen with the girls in the kind of prom dresses they wore in 1979. So I borrowed the 4-door Granada when the ask on a 1965 T-bird fell through. (Took a 1976 Kenworth conventional to homecoming though. She loved that move...)

- Things could only get better (unless the Granada breaks down).

- Your dad was possibly trying to keep you safe. I‘Ve left word that in-case of my untimely demise, none of the lifted trucks are to go to our son before he is 25. He drives a stock-height 80 with an airbag. His mother insisted on the airbag.

- Your dad was possibly trying to keep you safe.

Probably. The other two cars I "desperately" wanted were a 1970 Opal GT and a 1975(?) Mustang Cobra. I actually got my father to at least test drive the Cobra; too fast he said. My father was a car guy but had bug eyed Sprites, a Sunbeam Alpine and early Mustangs as second cars so I kinda thought the Opal GT would appeal to his tastes......too small he said.

My granada was metallic brown. Not the ugliest car in the world and I probably would have kept it longer if it had been a 302. I traded it with my own money after I started college for a used silver 1977 Ford Thunderbird with maroon leather interior. Talk about a long car! It had a 400 V8 and I won't say it was a chick magnet but compared to the Granada it was a definite step up.

My dad was a car guy. Worked on Mustangs for a long time. Mom and dad had a 66 and 65 Mustang as dailies. I grew up around cars and hotrods but not a lot of offroad vehicles, although I really liked them.

I think I got the bug from work. Surveying out in the sticks going off-road on powerline roads and trails all day. Got to wheel other peoples trucks and get paid for it.

My car history is unimpressive. I only owned cars I got for free or really cheap. One of those free cars was an 85 Izuzu Pup 4x4 that i had some fun with.

The first car I sought out and bought on purpose was my Pig.

Isuzu’s have flown pretty far under the radar. They had some potential back in the day - them and Mitsubishi. Had a friend whose parents bought a Montero. Think those early models, both the Montero and the Trooper, borrowed heavily from FJ55 styling.

I thought about it a little and it was a 1987 Pup, not 85. I was still living in my home town that wasn't too kind to poor people. My Pup wasn't beat up but it wasn't a Mercedes either. The seam on the muffler was rusted and that 4 banger was kind of a little louder and I got pulled over. While the cop was admonishing me for my loud exhaust a Harley screamed by and he had to stop talking until it passed far enough. I gave him a look like "dude!". He changed it to a fixit ticket. I got the new muffler on and before I could get it signed off, the engine start getting a real bad rod knock. Gave my free truck to the tow company.

Last edited:
Funny, this literally came out 2 days ago -

I remember a trip to Moab back in the early 90's, my friend and I had his Dad's little S-10 Blazer. We saw a Trooper that someone had taken some dark tape to the spare cover to make it into an Isuzu Pooper. My friend and I laughed and laughed.

Maybe that is why they were never taken seriously?

Yeah, when we were car shopping (my money, but...) I found a 1965 GTO in the paper. 389 and a 4-speed.

After the test drive it was judged “too fast”. Like there is any such thing to a 15 year-old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom