lonely land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello cruiser heads, i'm out here on the mesa near cerrillos on hwy 14, with my family and several awesome land cruisers building our home and sometimes needing some fellowship. I am interested in the high desert cruisers club and sometimes just need to talk to another cruiser head. I have a 63 fj40, mostly stock, and an awesome restomod 83' fj40 wich i had to make big sacrafices for! still dialing it in, and a few other projects i need help with.{and a shop}! I love to camp and hike. would like to overland the 83'. Anyone know about tactical application vehicles shop in albuquerque?

Welcome to the local hangout for the High Desert Cruisers club members. Most of us live in Albuquerque and I think one in Espanola and one in Jemez. Multiple members live in the Tijeras area. If we can get you connected with Dan or Barry Silbaugh, then you've got a good resource for older cruisers that I think is in Sandia Park. We generally have a monthly coffee/breakfast at a coffee shop in central Albuquerque so keep checking back to this forum regularly to see when those get scheduled.

hello cruiser heads, i'm out here on the mesa near cerrillos on hwy 14, with my family and several awesome land cruisers building our home and sometimes needing some fellowship. I am interested in the high desert cruisers club and sometimes just need to talk to another cruiser head. I have a 63 fj40, mostly stock, and an awesome restomod 83' fj40 wich i had to make big sacrafices for! still dialing it in, and a few other projects i need help with.{and a shop}! I love to camp and hike. would like to overland the 83'. Anyone know about tactical application vehicles shop in albuquerque?

Hey there, welcome to the hood!! I drive through Madrid at least once per week for work in SF, one of these days we'll have to meet up. The owners of Java Junction in Madrid is a big time Toyota mini truck guy. Sarah Leam (Sleam) is also a 4Runner gal who does a fair amount of overlanding with her pooches.

TAV in Albuquerque is owned by Walt, not too far from the Costco on Eubank. He is restoring his own 40 between working on customers' projects. I saw few 2Fs on engine stands in his shop the last time I was there. He is a dealer for offroad trailers, roof top tents and various suspension stuff.

thanxs for the info guys. i've heard of cruiser dan, is he at american toyota? I will check in often for wheeling dates and gatherings. I know casey and sleam, she is a right on person, use to work with her in santa fe. It would be cool to meet when you drive through alia176 , I really want to go wheeling with other land cruisers, they are the coolest trucks on earth! Always looking forward to locking the hubs on another adventure!! never sell your land cruisers, they are part of the family.

Last edited:
thanxs for the info guys. i've heard of cruiser dan, is he at american toyota? I will check in often for wheeling dates and gatherings. I know casey and sleam, she is aright on person, use to work with her in santa fe. It would be cool to meet when you drive through alia76 , I really want to go wheeling with other land cruisers, they are the coolest trucks on earth! Always looking forward to locking the hubs on another adventure!! never sell your land cruisers, they are part of the family.

Cruiserdan is still active on this forum but no longer working at American Toyota. Sean Keller is the new guy and he can hook you up with 25% discount.

I'll be goingn through Madrid tomorrow, wednesday, if you want to meet up at Java Junction. Let me know or send me a PM.

I posted up a camping trip for this weekend in case you want to check out the Gila forest. The kids got Friday off so we'll head south for some camping before the weather gets real cold.

Ali

What time are you driving thru madrid? I have to work on the house and maybe make a run to the hardware store. The Gila sounds cool, we have friends in Glenwood, but we can't make it , my wife works on fri.,sat. in madrid. Gabe

Hey guys, I am kind of in the same boat. Moved out here for work and would love to go wheeling with you guys sometime. However, my 80 is down with some no start, no cel thing. Id love to get this thing back on the road, but I seem to have exhausted my knowledge of electronics and wiring. I have followed Jon Helds instructions but still don't seem to see the culprit. It all started (well, didnt start I should say) after I did a head gasket job. Anyone out there willing to lend a hand? Im in Gallup and my 80 is a 92 w/3fe. Thanks guys.

Keith

Hey guys, I am kind of in the same boat. Moved out here for work and would love to go wheeling with you guys sometime. However, my 80 is down with some no start, no cel thing. Id love to get this thing back on the road, but I seem to have exhausted my knowledge of electronics and wiring. I have followed Jon Helds instructions but still don't seem to see the culprit. It all started (well, didnt start I should say) after I did a head gasket job. Anyone out there willing to lend a hand? Im in Gallup and my 80 is a 92 w/3fe. Thanks guys.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Sorry to hear about your woes man, that sucks. We have couple of 3FE freaks in the club who might have some ideas for ya. Calling @pappy, you got your ears on? :) Like how I volunteered him?

I sure do, thanks. It's good to have "volunteers" willing to help out. My wife volunteers me all the time. Dang facebookl! Any help with this thing is greatly appreciated. I got this thing a couple years ago, really wanted a jeep (cant believe I just said that) but then I started researching how much crap id have to replace just to get it on the same trail as my cruiser, I quickly changed my tune. It was only supposed to be a weekend warrior, that was 2 years and over 20k miles ago. No probs until the head gasket let go. I know how you guys like pics, so, here goes...

IMG_20160929_133748_213.jpg

IMG_20160930_114643_171.jpg

IMG_20160930_124446_923.jpg

Bummer on the no-start. Questions.

By no start do you mean it doesn't turn over when you turn the key ... or does it turn over but not light?

The no-CEL. Does the light come on when you turn the key to ON (burned out?). Have you tried pulling codes? You can still have stored codes even if the light is not on.

My guess is if it ran before you did the head gasket then something did not get hooked up. AFM, and TPS are common goofball errors.

Also, fuel pump. Short the fuel pump terminals in the diagnostic box, turn the key ON (but not start), and see if you hear the pump whizzing at the tank.

I wish I could help in person but I only have one weekend left before I leave on vacation and I need to get my own junk 100%/

Bummer on the no-start. Questions.

By no start do you mean it doesn't turn over when you turn the key ... or does it turn over but not light?

The no-CEL. Does the light come on when you turn the key to ON (burned out?). Have you tried pulling codes? You can still have stored codes even if the light is not on.

My guess is if it ran before you did the head gasket then something did not get hooked up. AFM, and TPS are common goofball errors.

Also, fuel pump. Short the fuel pump terminals in the diagnostic box, turn the key ON (but not start), and see if you hear the pump whizzing at the tank.

I wish I could help in person but I only have one weekend left before I leave on vacation and I need to get my own junk 100%/

The starter/motor turns, very easily. Like its just the starter turning. But I can see the fan spin when the starter is engaged. I have no power to pin 8 on the diag port. I did override the fuel pump with 12v to the pump pin and it pumps. I have 12v to the fuse box and the efi fuse seems to still be good. The motor was running before I did the head gasket. I am getting a no del with the key on, and yes, the light does work. U mentioned the AFM, I did spray it out and the intake tube with brake cleaner to de gunk the intake. But I did not open the afm. Could it have been damaged by that? How would I check? Also, in pic 2 above. Where does that ground on the firewall go? I forgot to hook it up at first, when noticed, I bolted it to the side of the head. Was hoping that it was the fix, but no go. Other than that ground wire, it was all hooked back up, that I'm aware of.
I understand about the free weekend. I don't get weekends, unless requested. We may get Sundays off tho. Hah. Doesn't leave much wrench time.
I'd just like to get this thing up and running again, my place of residence frowns upon inoperative vehicles lying around. I miss driving it too.
Thanks for the help, any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Keith

Starter is spinning easy? Compression check on all six.

Ground goes to the head. My, um, experience is if the engine is not grounded the starter won't turn much at all.

Also, make sure you have the coil/ignitor grounded well. That was an issue on mine.

Have you tried hooking up a timing light to see if you have juice through the wires?

Didn't think of the grounding of the coil/ignitor. Not sure I removed a ground wire from it tho. I did have to remove the dist when I replaced the inspection cover. I marked its location so I could reinstall it as close as possible. Haven't checked compression, didn't suspect any reason to cause a lack of compression during teardown. As far as I can remember. I hooked back up 2 grounds on the right side and 2 grounds on the left. Did i miss any, how many grounds are there? I don't have my timing light here. If I had to guess, I would say I'm not getting a spsrk. The no power to the diag port has me thinking there is a missed connection somewhere or heaven forbid an ecu prob. The truck ran great until the temp skyrocketed and the oil and water mixed. Towed it home and began teardown to find the head gasket in that condition.

Keith

Come to think of it. The only wiring that I changed was I replaced the injector connectors. Would having a switched wire cause this? Example, white on right instead of on left? I'll see if I can double check the orientation of the wires tonight.

I did have to remove the dist when I replaced the inspection cover. I marked its location so I could reinstall it as close as possible.

Ding, ding, ding .... Pull the dizzy out, set engine to TDC, #1 valves closed, and reinstall per FSM.

Would the placement of the dist keep me from having power to the diag port 8 terminal? I have no power to that terminal.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom