Lone Star DFW Elections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Lantern

Have Truck, Will Travel
Threads
Rally around the flag boys and girls, it's time for the Lone Star DFW elections.

January 14th, 7pm at Pappas BBQ, 2231 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]1 W Nrthwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75[/FONT]

Please check our bylaws, which are usually ignored at lslc.org, click on About Us, then click on Bylaws.

In the past, Lone Star has selected a President and trained the Vice President to rotate into the President's job each February. Reading the bylaws online, I don't find that clause about rotation. I remember it, but it's not there so I'm wrong. Our club has operated for years with a President by consensus, we have never really followed the letter of the bylaws. Which explains how I was VP for over 12 years.

So.... trying to keep as close to the bylaws as I can, Lone Star will open nominations for the three positions listed in the bylaws at our January meeting. That's this Thursday, January 14th. The officers open for nomination will be President, Vice President, and Treasurer. Nominations may be posted on this thread too. We will vote at the February meeting on 2/11.

I'm the first to admit that Lone Star has never followed the bylaws. Our club has always been light on the rules and heavy on general discussion and consensus. Since I joined LSLC in 1997, we have had three main priorities: 1) an annual event; 2) an annual charity; and 3) spending money with club approval, before, not after the spending. The bylaws recognize a Board of Directors which is not defined. By consensus, our members have considered any past officer a member of the Board.

If someone wants to rewrite the bylaws, go for it. We can discuss the rewrite at any meeting, call a special meeting to vote on it, and it will pass with 2/3 majority.

Lone Star DFW is a friendly, laid back group and I want to encourage all of our members to step up and run for President, Vice President, and Treasurer. I promise the current officers and past officers will be happy to help anyone that wants help.

Please post any questions or nominations. Thanks in advance to everyone that enjoys Lone Star DFW.
Happy Trails! Nick

Thanks Nick. Just some discussion points - I don't care which way we go. The bylaws say that the elections are done at the February meeting. Maybe we get volunteers at this meeting and vote next time? Either way is fine with me. Also they technically call the VP position "president-elect" which is where we got the notion of rotating that person in as president. I like the idea of electing each office every year personally. A president-elect automatically requires at least a two year commitment. In a club like this the easier we make the job, the easier we can get volunteers.

For those of you considering it, keep in mind that a lot of the long time members and past officers are still active in the club and we won't just dump everything on you. There's lots of support. We need fresh ideas and perspectives.

Lastly, kudos to Nick for taking the reins on this the last year and getting us organized.

Thanks Jason!

I'll start the process by nominating Perry Lowery for President.
He's done a fantastic job on our Round Up event and he always welcomes anyone that wants to help and gives credit to folks' contribution.
Happy Trails!
Nick

Yeah, it's about time Perry stepped up and did something worth while, huh?

Edit: I second.

I nominate Jeff Old for treasurer........

In that case, I would like to nominate Butch for Vice President. With his knowledge and long time involvement in the Cruiser community I think it would be great to have him back on the board. He now has the time in his schedule too.

My half dozen year tenure as round up chairman has brought to light that we could use a fresh Round Up Chairman. Since Jeff Old is the most familiar with ads, registration, etc, he would be the natural successor.

I nominate Jeff Old for Round Up Chairman

This past year was the first year we have ever had an actual printed accounting of the financials for Round UP. I would like to thank Nick for stepping up and providing accounting to give us a written record to move forward.

I nominate Nick for Treasurer.

Thanks Perry!
I'll do my best and can assure everyone that our board will follow our budget.
Happy Trails!
Nick

The years Chad and I ran the Roundup we had a balance sheet along with budgets......

Really?
I never saw any budget or balance sheet from you or Chad, and I was the VP. With respect, the first document I've ever seen was the one I created. Perhaps we can all do a better job of sharing with the members. Thanks, Butch!

The years Chad and I ran the Roundup we had a balance sheet along with budgets......

Kristie did them on PowerPoint? I think along with registrants their payment status.....she may still,have them..thinking back, it was the later events....probably the last 2 at old Katemcy....

So who's in charge over there now? Who's on the BOD?

Nick, I still have the spreadsheets for 2008 I think. Pretty simple ones I created on excel. Just shows who signed up and expenses listed out. I may also have the people who donated for the raffle. I can't remember who all got the final copies, but I know for sure that Laird was sent everything as he was the treasurer and in charge of the money.

Thanks Butch & Chad!

I remember Kristie's sheets and as I recall, they were very similar to the excellent work Jeff Old does with listing registrations and who gets what. My original post was not designed as criticism, but the observation that Lone Star is better served with a balance sheet from the previous Round Up as we budget the upcoming Round Up. I want our newer members to feel included before decisions are made.

I hope to see you again Chad at the meeting on the 11th!
Happy Trails!
Nick

My half dozen year tenure as round up chairman has brought to light that we could use a fresh Round Up Chairman. Since Jeff Old is the most familiar with ads, registration, etc, he would be the natural successor.

I nominate Jeff Old for Round Up Chairman

This past year was the first year we have ever had an actual printed accounting of the financials for Round UP. I would like to thank Nick for stepping up and providing accounting to give us a written record to move forward.

I nominate Nick for Treasurer.

At this time I cannot commit to Round Up Chairman. I do have as much experience as anyone in what it takes to organize the event and would be glad to assist anyone who has an interest in taking this on. With some organization and a little help from the group, it would be relatively easy for someone new to step in. Getting help and advise from those who have run it before would make it an easy transition.

It is something I might be able to do in the future but I've got some things professionally on the horizon that keep me from committing at this time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom