Lone Star Cruiser Roundup, Texas Hill Country and More (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We picked our way from Whitney to Shreveport without hitting any interstate highways........of course, many of the Texas roads we traveled were as good as interstates and its impossible to avoid large towns once out of the Hill Country. We managed to add about 90 minutes to the drive this way but we cut fresh tracks and saw new sights as we went to it was worth it.

Superior Grill in Shreveport delivered as always. I smashed my Steak Fajitas and was 1/2 through my margarita before I realized my meal escaped photo capture.

Sadly at that point all we could do was turn the old Land Cruisers and line up in the right lane of the two eastbound tracks and point them for home.

We turned 2000 miles by the time I rolled into Tilda Bogue at around 5 pm. The trip was all that we both wanted and expected. No real plans. No real problems. Lots of necks hugged, hands shaken, food eaten and lies told. It was great to see old Texas friends and catch up. I missed many of the fools because we only spent a few hours in camp but there is always next year.........

569A0637-F6DF-43EB-AA9B-BBB0A3914964.jpeg

Last edited:
@wngrog great write up!!! It was good seeing you and @WharfRat . Enjoyed showing you guys some cool spots in the Hill Country. Next time, it is your turn and I am looking forward to seeing your part of the country.

Last edited:
Great travelogue as always.

#1 Coopers VS Hard8?
#2 Did you buy one of the used smudge pots or a new one?

Laird is good wingman for you, he is as laid back as you are high strung. He likes cigars and bourbon. Yall should make babies...

Rudy’s has the best brisket.

Coopers has the best Beef ribs

Hard Eight has the best pork ribs.

Nothing was bad at any of them

Rudy’s has the best brisket.

Coopers has the best Beef ribs

Hard Eight has the best pork ribs.

Nothing was bad at any of them
I get so constipated after eating at Coopers in Llano. I just dont want to let it go....

I was there this weekend as well although not on the cruiser rally. I really like the lockhart bbq joints, with Kreuz being a favorite. To echo the above. what smudge pot did you order. How do you put it out once lit?

I was there this weekend as well although not on the cruiser rally. I really like the lockhart bbq joints, with Kreuz being a favorite. To echo the above. what smudge pot did you order. How do you put it out once lit?
I ordered one on eBay.

no idea how they work. Will advise

Jrob, King of the Hill

20210318_174831.jpg

I get so constipated after eating at Coopers in Llano. I just dont want to let it go....
@wngrog

you need to try the following next time in TX:

- Pecan Lodge (Dallas Deep Ellum): Best Beef Rib

- Louie Mueller Barbecue (Taylor Texas): They have business card pin board that smokes cards in a couple of hours. Beef rib to die for as well

- Snows BBQ in Lexington TX

checkout the TX BBQ Trail.

nice tour....stuff I'm wanting to get into more of.

We hung out with the MEO and CottonLand dudes for a while at the edge of the band. Bodean was dead center of the band and I could see the head bobbing and the hips swaying. Heather ran me down and showed me this real cool TEQ grill I was about to buy until I rounded the corner and saw this apparition from heaven on the edge of the pavilion
IMG_8809-X3.jpg

Its called a smudge pot and in my 53 years I have never seen one. They are used (or were used) in California and Florida orchards to keep fruit trees warm. They run on waste oil or diesel and holy hell. What a beast. I immediately went to camp and ordered one on eBay.......
Definitely a smudge pot for keeping your orange grove warm during cold weather - in addition to waste oil or diesel, most grove owners would cut up old tires and throw them in there. Easiest to start with diesel, under no circumstances try to start it with gasoline - I speak from experience.

Definitely a smudge pot for keeping your orange grove warm during cold weather - in addition to waste oil or diesel, most grove owners would cut up old tires and throw them in there. Easiest to start with diesel, under no circumstances try to start it with gasoline - I speak from experience.
Already have one in my inventory

A8A382E7-AF39-41FD-B9A0-6849EC863769.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom