lokka diff aussie locker, the same??

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by roscoFJ73, Jun 26, 2005.

1. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    As we cant easily get the aussie lockers in oz :rolleyes: I was wondering if its marketed under another name such as the Lokka Diff from South Aust.

Or is this just the old Lockright that the same company use to make?
    I asked them and only got an impatient "dunno":D

They want $499ea AUD for these for my 73 series plus the cost of putting an open centre in the rear

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

[​IMG]

2. Stone

Stone Moderator

I vaguely remember reading something about Aussie Lockers being from the United States' Eastern seaboard somewhere. The guy that started it used to work for another large locker manufacturer...could have been Lock Right.

Looks like "Aussie" in this case is a brand. :D

3. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I remember a similar story on Pirate.
    The owners of Lockright sold the design and then started up Aussie lockers.

Its possible when they sold Lockright they were not allowed to manufacture locking diffs in North America as part of their contractual obligations so they sent it offshore
    The guys on Outer Limits seem to think they are made in South Aust.
    A south oz company stopped making diff lockers at about the same time Aussie Lockers appeared.

Somehow though ,I dont think an aussie would have widened Port Phillip Bay a 100 miles and left Tasmania off the map:D

[​IMG]

4. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

You'll find the whole story on Pirates if you look hard enough. The aussi locker guy (Bill) worked with Lock Rite way back in the early days. He claims much improved materials in his new simpler version. I tend to believe him since I have had experience with the Detroit EZ locker and the Lock rite and while they look nearly identical, the Detroit wore out very early from softer metals (proven with a hardness tester) Locca is a Lockrite branded for Australia. Lock rite used to be available in a TRD box from the dealer as well.

5. Sixty's Guy

Sixty's Guy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.