Log splitter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to pick up a splitter and am intrigued by the manual models but think it might be a gimmick- Anyone have experience with electric? Or is gas the only way to fly and if so and good sources for finding one?

best ones are borrowed from good friends :) I have one that we only use a few times a year and let others borrow it. I would've preferred having one that was plumbed to work off of the tractor - that would be one less engine to worry about...but it was free (well...I guess I had to marry my wife to get it ;) )

Unless you are planning to do a lot of splitting, you might want to either consider renting one or borrowing a friends.

As far as options other than gas, I've only used the old maul. I like to split wood that way. I think if you were going to use a maual one, you'd be there all day. Electric would be an option, but not if you're out in the woods.

bk

The reason I'm considering one is 'cause I want to convert my tube bender over to hydraulic and one of the easiest ways to do it is with a log splitter setup. From what I understand it's fairly easy to convert it back and forth, which would make it easier to justify from both perspectives.

The woods are feet from my back door so electric would not be a problem. We have a fire a night in winter ( the wife loves them) so I am going to be doing a lot of cutting.

watch craigslist, the trader, and put a feeler out with some friends. You might also be able to pick up a deal at tractor supply or other big box stores now that it is past fall.

if you go through wood like you're talking about...it makes sense.

maybe a small one like this:
Brave EZ Split Horizontal Log Splitter — 8-Ton Capacity, 3.5 HP, Model# PCLS04 | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

around here, I can't even give wood away....not too many people burn it. I offer to cut the wood, they can use the splitter and I'll even toss it in my dump trailer and friends still don't want it. All I end up doing now is cutting up the logs across the road and let them rot on the side....it's kinda sad

Is it good wood?

I'm gonna be taking a load of tube down to Blacksburg in a month or so, and wouldn't mind hauling back a load of good wood for next winter on my way back since I'll have an empty trailer.

As was mentioned above, the best splitter is one borrowed from a friend!

That being said, I've used a maul, a maul with wedges, and a gas splitter.

The maul is extremely effective on DRY wood, the fewer knots, the better. I can actually split wood faster than a machine using this method if the wood is right.

Use the maul coupled with wedges on wood that is more difficult to split, such as slightly green or knotty wood. Drive wedges in on opposite sides of the round until it splits. This takes longer, but the wood will season faster.

The gas splitter is awesome. I have one that is borrowed indefinitely from a friend. He won't sell it to me, but I'm keeping it at my house. I split 5 cords of wood in a day last season. :grinpimp:

Unfortunatly not alot of people around here are willing to lend me a splitter- I think I will look this weekend for a deal on one from one of the tractor supply- or harbor freight.

I like this one I've been using for a while now. Simple, easy, and cost effective.
11899_lg.jpg

I had an old farm supply mag and there were guys/businesses that made a complete setup, winch the log up cut to length then pushed it thru a grate type device and split it all with one push, kinda like an old french fry maker.

the vertical ones are a bit easier as you don't need to lift the log onto a horizontal machine.

as for changing between the bender and splitter. pretty easy, just add a couple of quick connects and lengths of hydro hose.

I have a few thoughts...

As appealing as a three point hitch mount is, do you really want your tractor idling at effectively no load for hours and hours in cold weather? A Honda motor costs 5% of a tractor motor.

The ratchet foot mounted units are great for small quantities but if you need more than a couple cords a year they are probably destined for the swapmeet.

I really like the idea of cutting on the return stroke. That will keep two people busy but I haven't tried it yet.

.slide_8_No_rest_for_the_wicked.jpg

splitter001.jpg

Oh, and I tried an electric one twice. First time it got a test run in the garage and worked slowly but effectively. Second time it was 20 below out and it blew its breaker without budging. Probably best used in milder weather or at least stored heated until just before using.

I once had a gas powered Cub Cadet that was about Lowenbrau's size. Worked great both horizontal/vertical. When splitting horizontal you do have to watch the wood cause on occasion you can get some blow back when the wood is under stress. Bam! Just like that a piece can pop right at you.

my son started a firewood business this winter...we have lots of land and lots of trees...first order of business was to purchase a 21 ton gas powered splitter....this dude will split wood..in a hurry...it operates both vertical and horizontal...it will split pieces that can only be rolled up to and wrestled into place....very nice machine...price tag...1,150.00....works well for him he can split a couple of cords in a day...well a day for a 16 year old....about 4 hours...and he has paid for it with the proceeds from this years sales...and he still has orders for another 6 plus cords...

osagecruiser

The ratchet foot mounted units are great for small quantities but if you need more than a couple cords...
That assumes you have to split all the wood you burn....NOT.
I only need to split logs bigger than 8" so the foot operated unit is very effective for the amount that actually needs splitting.
It sits on the porch and is used as required.

Each type of log splitter has advantages and disadvantages, no one type is inherently better than another, it all depends on how you use it.

Yeah, John you're right. If you don't really need to split wood the ratchet splitters are great.

If you really want to do volume though, this seems to be the rig for the job.

YouTube - Fast Firewood

That's too cool! I bet it has a price tag to match though.

My dad and his buddy made something similar a couple years back. Used a dual shaft motor from a old snowblower. Hooked one of the shafts to the hydraulics for the splitter and the other shaft to a conveyer belt. Split the wood, it fell in to the hopper and was carried up and into the back of the truck. Still had to cut the wood to length though. Never did see it in action, but we always had a healthy supply of split birch wood at home so I guess it worked OK.

If you don't really need to split wood the ratchet splitters are great.
You don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that the foot powered splitters split wood just fine. Denigrating comments only show your ignorance.
What seems to be your problem? You act like a Yank, or a Jerk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom