1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOFTY SHELTERS or Eezi-Awn Rooftop Tents

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by freightdog, Jul 18, 2005.

1. freightdog

freightdog

With gas prices going crazy (my opinion) I am thinking of scrappin the trailer and putting one of these on top!

LOFTY SHELTERS or Eezi-Awn Rooftop Tents

Anyone running either of these - pro's/con's?

I would tend to lean toward the Eezi-Awn...

2. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I too have thought about doing one of those for hunting season. I prefer the EziAwn but they are kind of pricey. My only concern with them is how do they hold up to the low branches I encounter in some of the areas I hunt, they can be brutal on things.

I would think the lofty shelter would have a better chance of survival in its little fiberglass cap.

Jason

3. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

4. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Im thinking Hannibal stuff.

5. freightdog

freightdog

6. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

You know, the Hannibal stuff is pretty neat. But there is a shop here in CO that specializes in Rovers (Pangea Expeditions or some sort). They were a Hannibal dealer but just recently dropped them because of customer service and quality control issues. I havent been succesful in getting a hold of them to see whats up, but it may be worth looking into.

7. freightdog

freightdog

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/

I have looked at their site many times - noticed they switched - I will probably buy from them - they have the aluminum boxed tent...

8. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    well, as far as gas mileage, someone, think it was Exiled mentioned in the trailer vs. roof rack thread, that towing a trailer netted better mileage than a loaded rack. just a thought. put the tent on the trailer :)

9. freightdog

freightdog

Oh, I was talkin about my 19' travel trailer...

10. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:

I was wondering what you were referring to, as I pulled a loaded M416 with little impact to mileage. But putting some big tent on the roof I think I would notice. Then again, I'd never pull a 19' travel trailer with a 2F'd FJ60. You have a V8 though, so power's not an issue.

11. Exiled

Exiled

Nice to see you on here, Rob!

I originally intended to mount my rooftop tent on the, well, ROOF. But one drive from Moab to Phoenix with a 30 MPH head wind took care of that, the impact on the mileage was horrible. Towing the enclosed M416 with the tent on top of it, I get much better mileage.

I'm not going to get into the rack vs. trailer dilemma, but a well-modified off-road trailer would be a good subsitute for your camper trailer and save you money in the long run.

12. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    how about a good old fashioned tent you :princess:?

Actually I have been thinking about a westy style poptop conversion. There was a troopy up here with one and it looked pretty skookum. The old westy design for sleeping quarters can't be beat imho. Can someone chop a photo for me?

13. nakman

nakman addict.

an 80 series with a Westy pop top? I like it.. there's a photochop in my head right now.

fwiw, I've got a friend who imports Autohome rooftop tents into Colorado, you can check his out at http://www.tentsontop.com/

14. freightdog

freightdog

Thanks Nakman! I will check it out!

I have been trying to convince the wife to let me build-up an M416 - or the Canadian counterpart! Canadian military 1/4-ton jeep trailers Inventory at - http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/ - thought it might be cool!

I too have issues with anything else on top...

15. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    What about the SOR tent for the 60's. It looks nice however it is very $$$$$$$. So any feedback about that tent?

Zack

16. Bongani

Bongani

IMHO the way to go is the EeziAwn RTT. I have been touring using the Hannibal Zulu for a while but decided to replace it with the 1.4m EeziAwn.

The Hannibal Zulu is very small inside and the one solid wall hampers airflow considerably. It is also rather heavy at over 61kg. When windy the side flaps tend to beat in the wind and climbing out of a wet tent one is sure to get yourself soaked.

[​IMG]

On the other hand the EeziAwn 1.4m tent weighs 51kg. The tent is considerably bigger than the Hannibal in the inside, and with 4 windows one can experience great airflow.
    It has a very comfortable mattress and it is possible to remove it and use an inflatable which will easily take 10-15kg of the mass off the roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only draw back of the EeziAwn is that it takes about 7min to pack away compared to the 4min of the Hannibal Zulu.

These tent prices varies greatly in ZA. The Hannibal is R9000 and the EeziAwn is R6500 the last time I checked.

Here is photo of me in a 2 countries in 3 days trip. Slept 5-6 hours in 3 days. Did 2000km and 2 countries, with most of the event been night based GPS navigation. Notice the spacers under the tires to get the tent level.

[​IMG]

17. freightdog

freightdog

Bongani -

Thanks for the input...especially on cross ventilation and the mattress...

I really like the EeziAwn...

Need space because the wife rolls all over in her sleep!

Cool - thanks

The dog