Lockout hub threaded stud torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So to fit my rotor and hub assembly into my bench top press so I could remove and install the wheel studs, I had to remove the threaded studs that the lockout hub bolts to. I couldn't find a torque value for reinstalling them in the FSM though. Took a bit of work to get them out without damaging them, and I see what looks like I used blue threadlocker when I changed them out about 17-18 years ago. Is there an actual torque value, or is it just gutentite with some thread locker? they do thread a decent ways into the hub, so I don't see them needing a whole lot of torque for installation...

When I pulled my rotors off to replace, I used new studs and pressed them in. After getting them all pressed in I realized that I had not lined up the holes for the 2 threaded bolts that hold the hub and rotor together. I never installed them. Really the fact that the studs are pressed in and with the lug nuts torqued no way are they coming apart and they haven't ( it's been over 3 years and with wheeling) . Also I believe on newer models they did away with these bolts. I wouldn't sweat it. Just put them in and tighten

This isn't for the wheel studs, but the black studs that thread into the hub that the lockout hub slips over and and is held onto with the cone washers and acorn nuts.

Ive never torqued the studs down per the FSM and havent had issues with tightening them with a double nut or stud socket.

@Spook50 I looked in the fsm but didn't find anything about tourqe spec the studs but the nuts that hold the lock out hub are 23ft pounds so i would guess in that ball park.

20200126_191320.jpg

I just did this on my minitruck. Double nut, just a drop of blue thread locker and I chose 25 ft/lb with double nuts because there is no torque value in FSM. Then cone washer, tiny dab of anti seize, acorn to 23 ft/lb.

I had issues at one point shearing studs off because they would come loose after a few runs. I found over the years that 35ft lbs with a bit locktite blue was the key to having them survive. I would think that 30lbs for most guys would be fine. I am a little harder on stuff than others.

FSM front axle torque specs. I’ve personally never had an issue with them coming loose.
Last time I had a couple come loose I just slightly tighter than finger tightened them in. I check them periodically but no issues. Anyways, check section A in FSM here is a front axle list

00CC457E-2391-4566-90AA-871253B0F570.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom