Locking up

• Thread starter tclndcrz
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
tclndcrz

tclndcrz

I am buying myself, for christmas, front and rear aussie lockers (isnt that nice of me?) and would like to know what i need to install... Gaskets oil and stuff like that. Sooo what do i need?

C

cruiserman

If it's like the LR, then you may need shims.

F

fjcruiser

Assuming you already have all of the tools you'll need, I think you already nailed it on the head. 80-90w and gaskets should be all that you need. Might as well do a bunch of maintanence on your axles since your in there (bearings, grease, etc.)

tclndcrz

tclndcrz

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=1;threadid=7457;start=msg62374#msg62374 date=1068680320]
If it's like the LR, then you may need shims.
[/quote]

shims?? where would shims go and whats the point of them?

oh yeah i have all th tools i need. my friends garrage has everything.

tclndcrz

tclndcrz

just thought of something. If you have tire chains (which i dont) how do the lockers effect handling with them on? Can you use tire chains with lockers?

F

fjcruiser

I guess I have never thought about it. Can't see why there would be a problem though. The only problem that I have heard of is in no slip situations, such as pavement, where the tires are different sizes or are inflated different.

C

cruiserman

Spider gear shims. You'll see when you get the instructions. You may need new shims to get the proper clearances.

FJAfrica

FJAfrica

Website
community.webshots.com
You can only find out what shims you need when you dry install the Aussielocker. The shims come in different thicknesses, so you will need to see which ones you need (if any) when the Aussielocker is in place.

I put mine in the rear, the whole thing would have taken less than an hour, but the locking bolt holding the center pin had sheered off in mine, had to drill it out. Took 3 hours.

chuglife

chuglife

what kind of tools are needed above and beyond regular handtools that everyone has? (ratchets + screwdrivers + ball peen hammer) lol

C

cruiserka

maybe a press. dont they sell 3rd members from the junkyards at austrail?

woody

woody

Staff member
Admin
Website
www.TieRodMedia.com
no press required...and if Toyota has the shims in "stock" locally, they may allow you to purchase a variety of them, then return the ones you don't need. IIRC, they are like $5 each, 4-5 different sizes available.

tclndcrz

tclndcrz

well thats good to know. I think the aussie locker replaces the spider gears. Is that true? And if so would this remove the need for shims?

C

cruiserman

No, you re-use the ones in there or get new ones as needed.

Man Jerk

Man Jerk

Website
www.mntoyx4.com
The shims in question are the one's behind the side gears, which are replaced (not the spiders which are not reused). There is a set range of like 3.xxmm - 4.xx mm of space between the driver gears in the locker. You need to measure the space between and if it is not in spec with the shims you are reusing then you need to get thicker/thinner shims.

Which brings another good point, you will need a set of feeler gauges.

73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr

SILVER Star
If they are like the lock rite, you may need a new shaft. Pictured below. I had to replace the rear when I did my brothers. Not expensive if yours is worn too much.

F

fjcruiser

I haven't installed an aussie locker, but, chances are there is a go/no go gauge that you will use to determine if shims are required or not. I just installed the no-slip in my rig and no shims were required.

T

Trevor

I just finished my initial install of an aussie locker. Everything went well. It was my first time opening up a differential. Unfortunately, it looks like I will need to add larger shims. :p