Locking Hub Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know zero about hubs..well, actually I did learn a little taking one apart and screwing it up today. It all sorta came apart when I removed it. On a stock hub, are there 2 springs? I assume the gear needs to be attached to the rest of the lock/unlock mechanism, but mines not and I'm guessing that there is only one spring and it is broken (hence the 2 spring question).
I tried to reassemble it, and I can get the mechanism to work, but the gear isn't attached so I can't see how it would disengage in the free position.

I really can't see what would connect the gear to the rest of the mechanism to pull it back to "Free"

Next step is CAREFULLY pull the other one off and take a look.

gulp, i've only pulled the locking mech, or the outside part with the dial. i had the same problem when it grenaded in my hand when i pulled it off. i just set tthe dial to free and spun the spring with some hand pressure, i think clockwise, and the spring compressed and locked in place, letting me reattach it. you're supposed to line something up when you slide it in, i couldn't tell you what it is but that if it wasn't lined up it wouldn't go all the way in. good luck

the FSM shows two springs. One is called a tension spring and it wraps inside the clutch gear and around the pawl to hold them together. The other is a compression spring that pushes the clutch gear out to engage/disengage the hub. And, if you pull the control handle out of the hub cover, you discover a third, tiny spring behind a detent ball. Of course none of this makes much sense without the FSM. If you don't have the chasis and body manual, download one from www. birfield.com. AFAIK, all the FJ60's had the same hubs.
front hub.jpg

Ah Hah! Thanks! The little spring holding the pawl and clutch gear together makes sense now. I think everything is intact, I just need to assemble it correctly.

Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom