Locking Diffs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, here's my question. 80's series can lock both the front and rear diffs if they have the elec. lockers or an aftermarket locker. And if you put the correct switch in, you can have a selectable center diff as well..... So, with the 60 series transfer case, is it locked (50/50 power split) when it is put into either 4hi or 4lo. I was just wondering if the front axle has no traction, will the back end be able to pull you out? Does my question make sense? If a 60 sreies transfer case does not "lock" from the factory, can it be made to lock? Just a total lack of knowledge here about transfer cases in general.....

Thanks,

Blue 60

The center diff lock makes the transfer in the 80 spin both driveshafts at the same speed. Just like our part time case when its in 4wd. This is necassary because 80s are AWD, so if you are driving around on pavement, the T-case has to be a differential to avoid driveline wind-up. The center diff lock eliminates that in rough conditions, improving perfomance off road.

The 60 series, being part-time 4WD, does not have a center differential. If you put in 4wd power will go to both the front and rear axles, regardless what the other axle is doing. The 80 series is AWD or maybe full-time 4wd (I don't know the difference) but it has three differentials, front, center and rear. Locking the center differential sends power front and rear just like the 60 series.

So, in summary, the 'old' TC already locks. See how sometimes old is 'more gooder'! hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom